Macross DRYL perfect edit DVD

Godzilla

Ok,

I am a Macross fan but I was a robotech fan before I watched the Macross DVDs that I bought from Animego (sp?). Years ago when I went to Hong Kong (1984) I saw DRYL on the movie screen. That was when I discovered Macross rather than Robotech and figured out the Robotech was not really Robotech.

Now when I watched this movie, it was real strange to me. I know there were scenes from Macross TV series cut to make it in the USA. My question: so the movie DRYL when I was in Hong Kong, did they delete some scenes that were in appropriate?

Also, wtf about they make the DRYL into the clash of the binoids? That was messed up.

Godzilla.

Yes, DYRL was released as a theatrical motion picture in 1984. I can't say if scenes were deleted from the big screen presentation in HK, because I never saw DYRL on the big screen. However, I doubt any scenes were deleted in the version you saw.

The DYRL Perfect Edition was released later (I think early 1990's) on Laser Disc. The only differnence between the original and Perfect Edition is the addition of Minmay's concert animation during the closing credits of the DYRL movie. The concert animation was taken directly from Flashback 2012 (which was released in 1987).

Now, you can obtain the DYRL Perfect Edition on a Region 2 DVD from Japan, or you can buy the regionless bootleg DVD version.

And about Clash of the Bionoids: I never saw it, but everything I've heard about it makes me glad I didn't! Just a horrible edited english dub of DYRL.

Edited by PC Valkyrie

IIRC, DYRL was released in Hong Kong as Super Space Fortress Macross. This was released in 1987 (or 89) and had nothing edited out. After 1992, every version of DYRL included the Flashback Minmay concert at the end.

CotB is horrible, it was a hack job done for Americans.

I think it had it's theatrical release here in HK in 89, or possibly 88. I remember going to see it at the cinema 4 times. Great experience. And no, nothing was cut.

Graham

IIRC, DYRL was released in Hong Kong as Super Space Fortress Macross. This was released in 1987 (or 89) and had nothing edited out. After 1992, every version of DYRL included the Flashback Minmay concert at the end.

CotB is horrible, it was a hack job done for Americans.

Technically, it wasn't for Americans. CotB was done (along with the equally horribly dubbed Megazone Part II) for Japanese people to help them learn English, using British and Austrailian voice actors living in Hong Kong.

:o

During the years of Laser Disc (LD), there were a version of the Macross DYRL which spoke English, and it was UNCUT. And the thing is that the voice actors who provided the English voices, sounded really like japanese or asian people speaking english. The english voice over was quite good, and did add the "feeling" of characters into it. But Fokker had a western voice over, which was a real treat!

Anyone here with the LD, should know that there were many releases of Macross DYRL in Laser Discs...heck, I still have the Macross Plus LD!

I never had the experience to watch any Macross on a movie theather....that must be really something!

Clash of the bionoids? I don't even know where they got the budget to do that! Really a waste...

Paulo

:o

During the years of Laser Disc (LD), there were a version of the Macross DYRL which spoke English, and it was UNCUT. And the thing is that the voice actors who provided the English voices, sounded really like japanese or asian people speaking english. The english voice over was quite good, and did add the "feeling" of characters into it. But Fokker had a western voice over, which was a real treat!

Anyone here with the LD, should know that there were many releases of Macross DYRL in Laser Discs...heck, I still have the Macross Plus LD!

I never had the experience to watch any Macross on a movie theather....that must be really something!

Clash of the bionoids? I don't even know where they got the budget to do that! Really a waste...

Paulo

Dude, this English language laserdisc is the same awful version that was used to make the insanely funny Clash of the Bionoids. I have a copy of this disc you are talking about somewhere in my pigsty of a basement. I'm gonna have to look for it. Need to laugh at bad voice acting...