September 9, 1995

Today marks the 10th anniversary of the US release of the Sony PlayStation. Boy, am I starting to feel old (I was 22 at that time)...

So who got one of those first 100,000 or so odd systems that were relased that day? Who still has one of these first systems?

I got mine from the Babbages over at the Mall of the Bluffs in Council Bluffs, IA. Didn't get to fire it up until that evening, but once I did, I was playing Ridge Racer and Battle Arena Toshinden for about 5 or 6 hours straight. Unfortunately, my first PS1 started developing its skipping problem (due to heat messing with the CD reader) about 6 months later. :( I was able to contine to use it for another year and a half or so by putting it on its side or upside down. Though I've been using my replacement PS1 and of course the PS2 (still using the one I got on the launch day in October 2000!) ever since, I still have my first PS1 in storage in its original box.

For those who didn't know, these early PS1's were VERY easy to trick into playing Japanese games. That's part of the reason I kept mine. :)

ENOS?

Didn't he help Boss Hogg and Rosco P. Coltrane try and catch those Duke Boys?

327158[/snapback]

As part of Sony's marketing, they would run commercials and print advertisments with the sentence "ENOS lives". The 'E' was colored red. I think the official explination was ENOS = Ready Ninth Of Septmeber (Red 'E', get it?).

Anyone else ever have the opportunity to snag one of the blue dev station PSXs from back in the day? I worked for a educational software company back then that had a ton and some mysteriously disappeared when the company went under. ;)

Here's an example:

PSXDEV.sized.jpg

Edited by Seven

Anyone else ever have the opportunity to snag one of the blue dev station PSXs from back in the day?  I worked for a educational software company back then that had a ton and some mysteriously disappeared when the company went under.  ;)

Here's an example:

PSXDEV.sized.jpg

327180[/snapback]

Mmmmmm....

Got manuals?

And September 9, 1999 marks the US launch of the Dreamcast.

It's thinking.

327178[/snapback]

I was going to say, a thread about the PSX and not the Dreamcast?

That's kind of like having a white history month.

327183[/snapback]

Good point...

*wanders off to hit new thread*

As I pointed out elsewhere, if the Dreamcast had turned 5 or 10 this year, it would have been more notable to celebrate it. Looks like some topics are going to get closed. :p

The Dreamcast was an awesome system, but,

1) It's the PS1's 10th anniversary which is more significant then the Dreamcast's 6th.

and

2) I think the Dreamcast was pretty sweet, but Sony's little wunderbox has had a much bigger effect on the video gaming world.

BTW, what day this month is Windows 95 10th Anniversary? :p

As I pointed out elsewhere, if the Dreamcast had turned 5 or 10 this year, it would have been more notable to celebrate it.  Looks like some topics are going to get closed. :p

The Dreamcast was an awesome system, but,

1) It's the PS1's 10th anniversary which is more significant then the Dreamcast's 6th.

and

2) I think the Dreamcast was pretty sweet, but Sony's little wunderbox has had a much bigger effect on the video gaming world.

BTW, what day this month is Windows 95 10th Anniversary? :p

327193[/snapback]

I think Win95 launched in late '94.

*looks it up*

Nope. Came out August 24, 1995.

And if you count in base 3, 6th anniversary is MORE signifigant than 10th. :p

Edited by JB0

I think I waited a few months, then got one with Resident Evil, and was hooked on that game like it was crack. I probably have 70 or so games (most HK boots) from back in the day. I still have a modded PS1, but haven't played it in a long time.

I'm afraid I'm growing up though, the only games I've played in the past year were Silent Hill 4, Ace Combat 5, and Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater. I'm not sure I'll by a next gen system. Maybe if there are some truely killer "killer apps".

Thanks, and happy birthday PSX!

Oh come on now! No love for the TG16? That system was WELL ahead of it's time. Too bad their marketing sucked.

327451[/snapback]

Did the TG16 come out on September 9th as well?

327454[/snapback]

Indeed. The PCEngine is raw sexiness. But NEC's attempts at selling it in America were just embarassingly bad.

And they road it too long in Japan, and it died. The PCFX successor was hopelessly dated before it ever came out.

I didn't own a first gen PS. It was when the Dual Shock first came out I finally bought one, that was back in 1998. The first few games I bought that year were Ridge Racer Type 4, Rage Racer, Tekken's 1 & 2 and Namco Musuems 1, 3, 4 & 5 (Vol 2. "A" is a bitch to look for even then, I never found it :( ). I'm proly the last people to notice it was it's 10 years since it came out :blink: . Anyway Happy 10th Sony!

I didn't own a first gen PS. It was when the Dual Shock first came out I finally bought one, that was back in 1998. The first few games I bought that year were Ridge Racer Type 4, Rage Racer, Tekken's 1 & 2 and Namco Musuems 1, 3, 4 & 5 (Vol 2. "A" is a bitch to look for even then, I never found it  :( ). I'm proly the last people to notice it was it's 10 years since it came out  :blink: . Anyway Happy 10th Sony!

327470[/snapback]

I got a first-run Dual Shock too.

First game was Lunar: Silver Star Story. Bought it at launch.

Several months before I got the PS, actually.