Ultimate Avengers

Ladic

I have already seen it i am not to familiar with the comic so i only have the animation to go buy, i like it i thought it was quite cool, the big battle with the Hulk is probably the best fight in the movie. i hope they do a follow up to this one . i do not know about you guys one of my favorite parts in the movie is in the begining where Captain America takes on the Nazis during WWII, I would love to see a full movie on Caps exploits in WWII i think it would make for some interesting Animation.

chris

I saw it and for the most part, I liked it. The story is an combination of the first story arc of Ultimates and more traditional Avengers lore. The VAs for the most part worked, though I didn't need Black Widow to have the thick stereotypical Russian accent. The battle at the end when Hulk starts rampaging was pretty cool. I especially like the throwdown between Thor and Hulk, pretty cool.

For what it is, a superhero animated movie for kids, it works. Granted I would have liked the movie WAY more if it was a direct animation of the Ultimates, but I thought they did an pretty good job. I liked in the credits when they flashed panels from the Ultimates comic, nice touch there.

I would rent it over buying it because I didn't find anything really spectacular about it to make me want to own it.

bought it, watched it, and the movie was crap, I want my money back.  :angry:

372535[/snapback]

Are you serious! :( I thought it ROCKED!!! We are all entitled to our own opinions.

I haven't posted in a while, but I had to chime in here on this. Just finished watching and :D:D:D

First of all, this is not anime so you can't expect it to be.

If you like super heroes/ comics this is a MUST!

This is not the original Avengers, but the Ultimate Avengers which is a modern take on the classic Marvel heroes. If you are an Ultimate Avengers fan REJOICE!!!

If you are familiar with the Avengers and are open to a retelling of the characters which retains the drama between the characters you must pick this up! They do a really good job of character development seeing how they are limited within the time restraints of a movie and not a whole series

BTW

Nick Fury with Samuel L Jackson cool is SWEET! :D:D:D

There is also a first look of UA 2. NICE!!! :D

AND the animation is sharp, color full and well detailed and sound was very well done! If you have a nice system, it looks very NICE!

Edited by SDFcommander

372535[/snapback]

Are you serious! :( I thought it ROCKED!!! We are all entitled to our own opinions.

I haven't posted in a while, but I had to chime in here on this. Just finished watching and :D:D:D

First of all, this is not anime so you can't expect it to be.

If you like super heroes/ comics this is a MUST!

This is not the original Avengers, but the Ultimate Avengers which is a modern take on the classic Marvel heroes. If you are an Ultimate Avengers fan REJOICE!!!

If you are familiar with the Avengers and are open to a retelling of the characters which retains the drama between the characters you must pick this up! They do a really good job of character development seeing how they are limited within the time restraints of a movie and not a whole series

BTW

Nick Fury with Samuel L Jackson cool is SWEET! :D:D:D

There is also a first look of UA 2. NICE!!! :D

AND the animation is sharp, color full and well detailed and sound was very well done! If you have a nice system, it looks very NICE!

372622[/snapback]

If ya liked that, Iron Man the animated movie is coming in in october.

372535[/snapback]

Ladic, what about the movie did you not like?

**** Stars(out of 5)

Overall I thought it was well made,written and animated but not without some flubs.

My biggest gripe is that some of the more casual scenes had some of the worst animation and the "soft" filter on the shading had a mind of its own sometimes.

I never read the Ultimates but I am a fan of the Avengers so alot of this was new to me. I miss the Wings on Caps Cowl butI can live with it.

The sound in 5.1 was mixed very well and the music was okay but it didnt get me pumped(not like the last Episode of JLU "Destroyer")

I cant wait to see more. I can only imagine them gettting better with each release.

Short version :

If you were a fan of Marvel Saturday morning fare (X-Men, X-Men Evolution, Spider-Man, etc), then you'll probably really like the Ultimate Avengers.

But I can easily see how Ladic feels about this. If you're an Ultimates fan (particularly if the Ultimates made you read comic books again), read any of the hype Marvel generated around this, and/or was hoping for something beyond your typical Saturday morning cartoon, you'll probably be disappointed.

Objectively, trying to look at this as something to entertain a kid (or the kid in you), I'd say it's worth the hour and twelve minutes of your time to watch. And in the end, that's who Marvel intended this for.

------------------------------------------

I was going to write a longer review, but it would probably bore most of you, so I'll try to sum it up. There might be some small spoilers, but I'll try to avoid anything big, although references to the original source might spoil THAT:

The Ultimate Avengers are the Ultimates in name and costumes design only. While starting off as a toned-down adaptation, it rapidly fades into more typical kiddie cartoon trappings. Instead of being complex, most of the characters give off their primary defining character trait early on and then keep playing on it (Hank, for example, is JUST a stupid jerk. You never really get a feel for why and you certainly never see any bright spots). Cap being a man out of his time is briefly addressed in an early scene, but then he's all good and fine. Thor's uncertain validity is questioned once, but from that point on everything seems to indicate he's legit (have to admit liking Hulk's difficulty in picking up the relatively small Mjolnir, though). Characters don't want anything to do wtih the group (in fact, just about every character), but they all make heroic appearances just in the nick of time (and without even Thor's 'blackmailing' of the president to increase charitable Third World contributions).

Two things defined the Ultimates and made them so popular were Hitch's motion picture-like imagery and Millar's splendid multi-layered writing where he told character stories, did political commentary, satire, tension, personal moments, and great action sequences. This cartoon cannot touch Hitch's work (nor would I expect it to...it's animation, after all. Hitch's work could only really be efficiently adapted with either live action or an expensive CGI movie), but more importantly, out of the seven traits I mentioned for Millar's writing, this cartoon only manages the last (Thor and Hulk's brawl alone would've been enough for this type of show). It's been simplified, watered down, and loses everything that made the Ultimates what it was.

On the bright side, the animation is pretty good for Saturday morning standards. The voice work is good - little stands out, but there's little that's jarring (Black Widow's accent could be a little less thick, but it IS a cartoon). I sort of like how the story is almost a Bruce Banner/Hulk movie...Bruce is probably the closest the show gets to a multi-dimensional character. No one parachutes out of exploding planes and we actually see people disintergrated, burn up, etc....nothing gory or bloody, but it's still jarring for this style of animation. :) The opening sequence DOES make one wish they'd do a 'Cap in WW2' cartoon (just a one shot DVD) although I wish some of the villains were a bit less overt than how the movie presents them. I thought the movie did effectively mix the big bad-ass battles from issues #6 and #12/13 into one big combo, although it would've been cooler if they had more of the small moments that made them cool (like where the bad guys 'set us up the bomb' that will annihilate all life and Tony basically hands it over to Thor to get rid of it and everyone starts thinking Stark's lost it as much as his pal who thinks he's a god).

Thanks for the review 'Sam. I think for $12 I can live with the cartooniness of the movie. It is a shame that the story and characters had to be watered down though; kids could certainly handle mature issues, especially if these issues are being presented in a movie...

Ok so I watched it again and then rewatched some select JLU episodes from this season(Patriot Act,Destroyer,Grudge Match)

The action staging and direction is sooo much better in JLU.

It like comparing a Jack Kirby Marvel 60's issue to say Superman by Curt Swan in the 60's

Aka prettier isnt always better. Ultimate Avengers is only marginally better looking than JLU(more color) but I like the hard shader over that airbrushy look that UA had.

Dont get me wrong it was still quite enjoyable but the stylized and intense action of JLU has it beat(for now)

I hope UA2 is better in direction.

Ok so I watched it again and then rewatched some select JLU episodes from this season(Patriot Act,Destroyer,Grudge Match)

The action staging and direction is sooo much better in JLU.

It like comparing a Jack Kirby Marvel 60's issue to say Superman by Curt Swan in the 60's

Aka prettier isnt always better. Ultimate Avengers is only marginally better looking than JLU(more color) but I like the hard shader over that airbrushy look that UA had.

Dont get me wrong it was still quite enjoyable but the stylized and intense action of JLU has it beat(for now)

I hope UA2 is better in direction.

373388[/snapback]

Their kiddie-ication of the UA is why its lame. They had so much more that they could've made it into a 6 episode series easy! The UA grows as a story and turning it into a single movie was a poor move anyways.

Personally I think the entire JLU is a$$ with horrorific artwork and redesigns. Sure the story's and characters are easly identifable, but the whole Batman Beyond style was play'ed out by the end of it's second year and now it's just poor looking. The Teen Titans are the same way and MAD should be strung up for what he did to The Batman designs... & the 3D.... gods below!!! :angry:

Their kiddie-ication of the UA is why its lame.

To be fair, would have they've been able to successfully market an Ultimates cartoon if it was closer to the debatable source (I say debatable because it's almost only the Ultimates in costume design)? Maybe they could've worked it so it showed up in the anime section (then again, most of the mainstream anime sections are all kiddie-fied too), but otherwise, it still would've been hard trying to push a cartoon in the states that was as multilayered, complex, and brutal as the Ultimates (and really not so much visually brutal as much as how it deals with its issues). Adults would've avoided buying it for themselves or started writing lawsuits because they showed it to their kids. While the notion that cartoons are purely for kids has weakened over the past decade, the notion that superheroes are for kids really hasn't. A cartoon about superheroes, therefore, has two strikes against it, unless it's covert about its handling of material like Batman:TAS was.

Ultimate Avengers is ultimately an advertisement to coax people to read the comics and in many ways I think it's more geared towards getting people into the New Avengers than the Ultimates (unless the post-Millar Ultimates will be closer to the way they're portrayed here...which would mean me not having to go to a comic book shop again :lol: ). You're not going to effectively sell your comic to the average young audience if you have (COMIC SPOILERS)the Hulk talking about how Thor beating him up makes him horny and how he's gonna turn Giantman's skull into a toilet, Pym slugging his wife, then spraying her with bug spray, Captain America showing off the good, bad, and ugly sides of being overly patriotic and jingoistic, Wasp flashing her enemies, and Giantman's 10 yards wide naked buttocks. Okay, you might REALLY be able to sell your comics to the adolescents if you do most of that, but some self-righteous person will get in a tiff about it.

As usual, fans just got overly excited about the possibilities and potential and forgot that it's really all about the business end....

Personally I think the entire JLU is a$$ with horrorific artwork and redesigns. Sure the story's and characters are easly identifable, but the whole Batman Beyond style was play'ed out by the end of it's second year and now it's just poor looking. The Teen Titans are the same way and MAD should be strung up for what he did to The Batman designs... & the 3D.... gods below!!!  :angry:

373609[/snapback]

To each his own. I don't really mind the art in JLU at all. Sure it was simple and sometimes even ugly (beginning eps of last season), but overall, I can overlook it because the stories are phenomenal. The direction and execution of the story is unbelievable tight and well done. I always thought the JL was hokey until this series came out. As for The Batman series, I saw one ep and I hated the designs. They are grotesque. At least with JLU, with its bold lines and colors, its still easy to see the human-ness under it all. If sacrificing art quality gave me more seasons with excellent stories than I say go for it.

vinnie

FInally saw the DVD and and after reading the comics and even buying the semi-animated UA comic DVD, this cartoon version really sucked. I fell asleep near the end and the story was pretty much changed completly. The only thing that really stayed true to the comic book was the journey of Cap in the current world, and even that was weak compared to the comic book.

I'd have to say this DVD was 15% true to the comic, and if they were going to stray that far off from the comic book, why couldn't they just make a regular "Avengers" cartoon and not try and tie it into the Ultimates line, the whole point of the Ultimates Avengers comic I thought was to have a mature and real-world version of the characters which this DVD did not. 1 outta 4 stars for me.

You're not going to effectively sell your comic to the average young audience if you have (COMIC SPOILERS)the Hulk talking about how Thor beating him up makes him horny and how he's gonna turn Giantman's skull into a toilet, Pym slugging his wife, then spraying her with bug spray, Captain America showing off the good, bad, and ugly sides of being overly patriotic and jingoistic, Wasp flashing her enemies, and Giantman's 10 yards wide naked buttocks. Okay, you might REALLY be able to sell your comics to the adolescents if you do most of that, but some self-righteous person will get in a tiff about it.

Most of that panders specifically to adolescents, and younger audiences are in for a surprise if Marvel is actually using a kiddified UA cartoon to sell young kids comics. And heh, you don't have to be self-righteous to find at least some of the above annoying. I might be getting to be an old stick-in-the-mud, but it's still refreshing to read something that doesn't need much of that to tell a good story. And it's a little frustrating to see certain heroines and female characters cheapen and turn into skanks with powers over the years.

Thanks for the opinions guys. I returned my copy, along with the movie Domino that I bought with it...

I might be getting to be an old stick-in-the-mud, but it's still refreshing to read something that doesn't need much of that to tell a good story.  And it's a little frustrating to see certain heroines and female characters cheapen and turn into skanks with powers over the years.

376317[/snapback]

Oh, I concur. I voiced a similar opinion in the Song of Fire and Ice topic about how you can tell a story without having to have gratuitous sex and violence every chapter. I have no problem with the stuff when it works for the tale, but many times it goes overboard. The Ultimates, in my opinion, do use about 75% of its crude stuff for actual purpose (the whole Hulk thing can seem overboard, but I actually like how Hulk is actually a rampaging version of everything Banner has subdued about his personality...). But, yes, you can chop pieces out and not really lose anything.

But, to continue with the Song of Fire and Ice comparison, why even bother adapting it to a kiddie version? Could you imagine how weird George R.R. Martin's work would appear if you made it so the worse anyone ever does to someone is slap them once or twice for violence or that kissing was the most sexual stuff you'd see (granted, the sibling love between two characters would still be creepy enough at that :p )? If you wanted to childproof an Avengers cartoon, why not just go with the normal Avengers? You can easily tell a revised origin and stick with that. Using the Ultimates as a template forces people to assume you're going to get a bit more.

Finally got around to watching it with the bunch of friends I intended to and was surprised that it was well received. They thought it was more adult than they had feared it would be and my friend's wife (who hadn't read the Ultimates yet) actually got caught up in the characters, despite the limited nature of the cartoon.

If ya liked that, Iron Man the animated movie is coming in in october.

WHAT!? Really??? Wait..is this another direct to video release like UA, or is this what the pre-production disasture of a hollywood movie has become?

372719[/snapback]

Yes it will be a direct to video DVD

Ultimate Avengers II : August 2006

Iron Man : October 2006

Doctor Strange : February 2007

• 1 month later...
So IM is only getting an animated video?  Did the real movie die?

393438[/snapback]

No from what I heard, he is getting BOTH. The live action in a few more years, the animated one relatively soon.

I just saw the ua movie on cartoon network, not bad. Nothing too surprising, although I truly think this would have been better had they NOT called this "ultimate" nor used the character designs/costumes from "the ultimates" comic book. Had they used the regular timeline costumes/character designs and simply called this "Avengers:the animated movie", I bet most of you dissapointed with this would have had no problem with it.

For me the big problem is similar to what most of you complained about, it was mistitled and therefore misleading. We thought, by the name and DVD cover, that this would be an animated version of "the ultimates".

Bottom line?

IT ISN'T

So in the end, it wasn't all that bad, I'd consider buying it, I just think it was a regular avengers movie that got mistitled and used the looks of the costumes from the ultimate avengers.

I saw it tonight for the first time and is is a lot different from the comic. The funny part is I enjoyed reading the comic more. I can see how it can get a new generation into comics. I say bring them on. I hope this can revive the comics industry. I am tired of seeing comic shops in my area go out of business. Now only if we can get a nice House of M series. :rolleyes:

I saw it tonight for the first time and is is a lot different from the comic.  The funny part is I enjoyed reading the comic more.  I can see how it can get a new generation into comics.  I say bring them on.  I hope this can revive the comics industry.  I am tired of seeing comic shops in my area go out of business.  Now only if we can get a nice House of M series.  :rolleyes:

393458[/snapback]

Thing is even though its called "ultimate avengers", its more similar to the regular avengers books rather than "the ultimates". The movie is truly a victim of misleading.

• 2 weeks later...

ultimateavengerscover01.jpg

Ultimate Avengers: The Movie

Marvel Comics/Lions Gate Films, 2006

Directed by Curt Geda (Batman Beyond, X-Men: Evolution), Steven E. Gordon (X-Men: Evolution) and Bob Richardson (Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends)

Based on The Ultimates by Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch

Running Time: 72 minutes

Rated PG-13 for violence, mature situations and mild language.

"Avengers Assemble!"

Cast

Justin Gross (Hayabusa in Ninja Gaiden, Genpo in Ikki Tousen) as Steve Rogers/Captain America

Andre Ware as Nick Fury

Michael Massee as Dr. Bruce Banner

Fred Tatasciore (Samuel L. Jackson in Team America World Police) as The Hulk

Olivia d'Abo (Ten in Batman Beyond, Princess Jehnna in Conan the Destroyer) as Natalia Romanoff/Black Widow

Marc Worden as Tony Stark/Iron Man

David Boat as Thor

Nolan North as Hank Pym/Giant Man

Grey DeLisle (Yumi in Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi) as Janet Pym/The Wasp

Nan McNamara as Dr. Betty Ross

Synopsis

In 1945, during the final days of World War II, Captain America thwared the Nazi's attempt to nuke Washington. However, he was rendered missing in action and presumed dead when he plunged into the North Atlantic Ocean after destroying the nuclear missile in mid-air.

Sixty years later, he is recovered and revived by Nick Fury and the organization S.H.I.E.L.D. to undergo a new mission: to protect Earth from the same threat he faced back in WWII. But he won't fight alone, as he joins forces with Iron Man, Black Widow, Thor, Giant Man and The Wasp to form The Avengers. However, the mysterious threat is the least of their worries, as they must also deal with a maniacal being from Dr. Bruce Banner's past...

"Stark Enterprises gave you some lousy weapons." - Iron Man

Story: B-

If you're looking for an excellent animated adaptation of a Marvel Comic, look somewhere else. Ultimate Avengers is loosely based on Marvel's alternate universe comic The Ultimates, which received rave reviews during its publication. This film captures a bit of the comic book's feel, but the story feels way too rushed. Majority of the emphasis is on Captain America, but you don't really get to know enough about everyone else. The storyline focuses on the Avengers battling alien forces that come straight out of Independence Day, but it immediately gets shelved out in favor of the Avengers vs. the Hulk. Talk about rushed pacing.

Animation: B-

In terms of animation, Marvel probably won't beat DC anytime soon. For the most part, Ultimate Avengers boasts above-average artwork and animation that's just okay. There's a lot of CG use that clashes with the 2D art and the animation style has that unique Korean look, which isn't bad, but needs more work.

Soundtrack: B-

Guy Michelmore's score for the movie has its moments, but majority of it seems generic.

DVD Extras: A-

You have the option to engage trivia sections throughout the movie. Also, there's a featurette that includes interviews with George Perez, Joe Quesada and other people who have worked on The Avengers comics. You also get a sneak peek at Ultimate Avengers 2, coming this July. And if anyone cares, there's a collection of clips featuring fanboys attempting to get their voices cast for the movie.

The Bottom Line

Whether you read Marvel comics or not, Ultimate Avengers is a decent rental. It's not a bad movie; just something not for keeps unless you are, in the words of Stan Lee, a "true believer."

Giant Man: "Who's that chick with the hammer?"

Iron Man: "Whoever she is, I'm glad she's on our side."

Links

Official Ultimate Avengers Homepage

Reference

The Internet Movie Database

Yeah,I saw this movie on CN's Toonami like two weeks ago and I must say that this movie was strictly decent and I can see why it got two stars according to my Movie guide on Comcast Digital Cable. I was a little disappointed at the fact that the movie was remotley short for 72 minutes as I was expecting it to be at least two hours long but they got straight to the point with the story and the character backgrounds without going more indepth into them. I didn't like the way Iron Man's (my favorite Marvel Super Hero, as well as War Machine) suit looked. It looked kinda crappy to me IMHO. I just wish that they put more time into making the movie and that they didn't rush into producing it.

Yeah,I saw this movie on CN's Toonami like two weeks ago and I must say that this movie was strictly decent and I can see why it got two stars according to my Movie guide on Comcast Digital Cable. I was a little disappointed at the fact that the movie was remotley short for 72 minutes as I was expecting it to be at least two hours long but they got straight to the point with the story and the character backgrounds without going more indepth into them. I didn't like the way Iron Man's (my favorite Marvel Super Hero, as well as War Machine) suit looked. It looked kinda crappy to me IMHO. I just wish that they put more time into making the movie and that they didn't rush into producing it.

395439[/snapback]

The design is based off of his costume in "the ultimates".....

Not nearly enough tho.... one of the big things for UIM was the fact that instead of being red and gold, he was grey and gunmetal like a military machine with red and gold accents. I too hate the UA movie IM... it's like the bastard child of UIM and normal universe IM..

• 5 months later...

IPB Image

Ultimate Avengers 2: Rise of the Panther

Marvel Comics/Lions Gate Films, 2006

Directed by Will Meugniot (The Real Ghostbusters, Captain Planet and the Planeteers) and Dick Sebast (Batman: The Animated Series, The Mummy: The Animated Series)

Based on The Ultimates by Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch

Running Time: 73 minutes

Rated PG-13 for violence, mature situations and mild language.

"Avengers Assemble!"

Cast

Justin Gross (Ichise in Texhnolyze) as Steve Rogers/Captain America

Andre Ware as Nick Fury

Jeffrey D. Sams (Lockwood in CSI, Terrence in Veronica Mars) as T'Challa/Black Panther

Marc Worden as Tony Stark/Iron Man

Nolan North as Hank Pym/Giant Man

Jim Ward (Granin in Metal Gear Solid 3) as Kleiser

Olivia d'Abo (Morgain Le Fay in Justice League) as Natalia Romanoff/Black Widow

David Boat as Thor

Grey DeLisle (Kimiko in Xiaolin Showdown) as Janet Pym/The Wasp

Nan McNamara as Dr. Betty Ross

Michael Massee (Gaines in 24) as Dr. Bruce Banner

Fred Tatasciore as The Hulk and Jarvis

Dave Fennoy as T'Chaka/Black Panther I

Dwight "Howlin' Mad Murdock" Schultz as Odin

Mark Hamill as Dr. Oiler

Synopsis

Following the death of his father at the hands of the alien Nazi Commander Kleiser, Prince T'Challa inherits the title as King of Wakanda and the guise of Black Panther, the kingdom's greatest hero. He travels to S.H.I.E.L.D. Headquarters to seek help from Captain America - the only person known to have defeated Kleiser. Despite a request by Nick Fury to have his team fly to Wakanda, Black Panther declines any intervention from anyone outside his country.

Fury assembles the Avengers on a mission to gather information on Wakanda and find the connection between the country and the alien race, but individual tensions once again rise. Their lack of teamwork has them kicked out of Wakanda immediately. Meanwhile, Bruce Banner is confined in a laboratory as a result of his actions as the Hulk, and Thor sees a disturbing premonition of our heroes. The Avengers must once again regroup to face another round of the alien threat that surrounds Earth.

Story: B-

Fans of Ultimate Avengers will be pleased with this follow-up. Ultimate Avengers 2 continues the dark storytelling of Earth's Mightiest Heroes. There's more action, more death, more destruction. And more story issues.

Once again, the storyline feels rushed. And the subplot is very derivative of War of the Worlds and Independence Day (again). As for character interaction, there's less of it. There's a lot of emphasis on Iron Man and Giant Man, and very little on everyone else. As a matter of fact, the Hulk appears in only a minute throughout the film.

Animation: B

There has been much improvement in the animation quality since the first film. Many viewers have already gotten used to the above-average character designs. The 2D/3D mix has gotten a little bit better as well.

Soundtrack: B+

Compared to the first film, Guy Michelmore's score for this film is livelier and more thematic.

DVD Extras: A-

In the included featurette, creators Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch talk about the history of The Ultimates, while the production team give their insights on the first film. Then, there's the Ultimate Gag Reel, which will probably have you craving for ribs right across the street.

Plus, Iron Man and Doctor Strange get their own full-length animated features, and this DVD gives you a first-hand look at them.

When you insert the disc into your DVD-ROM drive, it engages a Marvel personality test. That's about it.

The Bottom Line

Ultimate Avengers 2 may not be perfect, but if you need to kill some time, go rent it.

Links

Official Ultimate Avengers 2 Homepage

Reference

The Internet Movie Database

• 1 month later...