Red Ninja

Gunbuster

For that matter, what's up with having T&A, and yet having the character ruthlessly dismember and murder her victims? Sorry, but I don't care how hot she is, it just doesn't work if I expect that she'd kill me on sight if I ever met her.

But since she's a videogame character, she has to do whatever you tell her.

So no death for you.

If this game had anymore T&A in it, it'd be on the same level as Blood Rayne.

Honestly, what's wrong with having a female character NOT designed to give the 18-35 year-old male crowd a hard-on?  Sheesh.

You make it sound like that's a bad thing :blink::p

I'm alright, and even glad, for a little T&A. But lately I've been really turned off by the excessive T&A out there. It just seems to me that the programmers/writers/whomever is trying to cover up some gameplay/script deficencies by throwing some more tits and ass at the viewer.

"Game or movie not up to snuff? Give 'em a woodie and that'll fix everything!" is just really grating on my nerves. Everquest and Sudeki spring to mind as perfect examples.

I gotta agree with Cory here. I dont mind the T&A but if it is used to cover up the game deficiencies, no way no how will I get the game.

Honestly, what's wrong with having a female character NOT designed to give the 18-35 year-old male crowd a hard-on?  Sheesh.

You make it sound like that's a bad thing :blink::p

I'm alright, and even glad, for a little T&A. But lately I've been really turned off by the excessive T&A out there. It just seems to me that the programmers/writers/whomever is trying to cover up some gameplay/script deficencies by throwing some more tits and ass at the viewer.

"Game or movie not up to snuff? Give 'em a woodie and that'll fix everything!" is just really grating on my nerves. Everquest and Sudeki spring to mind as perfect examples.

I gotta agree with Cory here. I dont mind the T&A but if it is used to cover up the game deficiencies, no way no how will I get the game.

Are you guys talking about Leisure Suit Larry now? :p

Well, Red Ninja already came out in Japan and it didn't fare too well in Famitsu's reviews:

Red Ninja

Famitsu score 7/7/6/7

Famitsu PS2 score 7/6/7

Compalints included the lack of variety and problems adjusting the camera angle.

Tenchu Kurenai/Fatal Shadows scored higher by comparison:

Famitsu score 9/7/8/7

Famitsu PS2 score 8/8/8

Well, Red Ninja already came out in Japan and it didn't fare too well in Famitsu's reviews:

Red Ninja

Famitsu score 7/7/6/7

Famitsu PS2 score 7/6/7

Compalints included the lack of variety and problems adjusting the camera angle.

Famitsu score 9/7/8/7

Famitsu PS2 score 8/8/8

That was expected. Nothing beats Tenchu when it comes to ninja games (except maybe Ninja Gaiden).

Red Ninja

Famitsu score 7/7/6/7

Famitsu PS2 score 7/6/7

Famitsu score 9/7/8/7

Famitsu PS2 score 8/8/8

That was expected. Nothing beats Tenchu when it comes to ninja games (except maybe Ninja Gaiden).

Eh those scores for Red Ninja make it sound like its an average game. I wasn't expecting 10's. Saw some more movies on G4TechTV, looked like it could be fun. I'll pick this up when I get a chance. I'm busy playing Tenchu FS and Tekken 5.

And while I like Ninja Gaiden, I like the Tenchu series a helluva alot more. Tenchu Kurenai/FS is great despite some of the poor reviews its getting in the US.

Edited by dejr8bud

Red Ninja

Famitsu score 7/7/6/7

Famitsu PS2 score 7/6/7

Famitsu score 9/7/8/7

Famitsu PS2 score 8/8/8

Wow @_@;;

But doesn't Famitsu rate games really strict? and about the camera issue, almost all third person game has that problem, right?

post-26-1109872204_thumb.jpg

Eh those scores for Red Ninja make it sound like its an average game. I wasn't expecting 10's.  Saw some more movies on G4TechTV, looked like it could be fun. I'll pick this up when I get a chance. I'm busy playing Tenchu FS and Tekken 5.

And while I like Ninja Gaiden, I like the Tenchu series a helluva alot more. Tenchu Kurenai/FS is great despite some of the poor reviews its getting in the US.

Wow, I'm playing the same games too. Thinking about picking up DMC3, although I had yet to finish the first one...

Most Tenchu fans seem to enjoy Kurenai/Fatal Shadows. It might not have lived up to some fans' expectations, but it was definitely a worth addition to the series. Kudos to Sega for bringing it over here.

Added:

Famitsu scores are usually very fair. They don't become the #1 publication in Japan for being kiss-asses. As for camera issues, in some games they matter more than others - stealth action being one of them. Maybe its camera problems were worse than in the new Tenchu game, which is almost a year old in Japan, so Famitsu didn't cut them any slacks.

Edited by Jolly Rogers

Famitsu is #1 but I have no idea why. The translations of reviews I've read make me think of GamePro or something. I don't trust/give credit to Famitsu at all. If they're #1, it must be because the average Japanese gamer has tastes very different from mine.

Of course, not many mags "agree" with me. Gamer's Republic was close though, as was NextGen.

Eh those scores for Red Ninja make it sound like its an average game. I wasn't expecting 10's.  Saw some more movies on G4TechTV, looked like it could be fun. I'll pick this up when I get a chance. I'm busy playing Tenchu FS and Tekken 5.

Wow, I'm playing the same games too. Thinking about picking up DMC3, although I had yet to finish the first one...

Most Tenchu fans seem to enjoy Kurenai/Fatal Shadows. It might not have lived up to some fans' expectations, but it was definitely a worth addition to the series. Kudos to Sega for bringing it over here.

Added:

Famitsu scores are usually very fair. They don't become the #1 publication in Japan for being kiss-asses. As for camera issues, in some games they matter more than others - stealth action being one of them. Maybe its camera problems were worse than in the new Tenchu game, which is almost a year old in Japan, so Famitsu didn't cut them any slacks.

While I'm glad Sega brought it here(even though I think From Software/K2 could have used Agetec as a publisher), I wish they'd would have improved it from the import version, Kurenai. The slowdown wasn't fixed. And the item placement/ enemy layouts are exactly the same. The import version of Tenchu Wrath of Heaven(known as Tenchu 3 in Japan since Tenchu WOH is kind of a redundant title) had a few differences than the US version. I was kind of hoping the same for US version of Tenchu Kurenai since the game came out last July in Japan.

Overall I like it. Most Tenchu fans are digging it despite no Rikimaru. I'm glad for that since the "professional" reviewers are dead wrong about the game. There's going to be Tenchu PSP game coming.

and Tekken 5 kicks ass!!!

Tenchu Kurenai was an orphan as far as its non-Japan release was concerned - Activision took a pass on its NA and EU releases when the game was announced. I am glad Sega didn't do the "let's jack up the difficulty level so renters can't beat it so fast" changes. As far as they're concerned, it's a straight publishing deal. Localized and bam, it's done. They don't own it, so maybe they weren't even allowed to change it in the first place.

As for Famitsu, they know what they are doing. All the game guides published by their editorial staff have been top-notch, complete, and always blows away the competition. I have yet to find a Famitsu guide that is not better compared to the ones for the same game from Softbank or Kadokawa.

Tenchu Kurenai was an orphan as far as its non-Japan release was concerned - Activision took a pass on its NA and EU releases when the game was announced.  I am glad Sega didn't do the "let's jack up the difficulty level so renters can't beat it so fast" changes.  As far as they're concerned, it's a straight publishing deal.  Localized and bam, it's done.  They don't own it, so maybe they weren't even allowed to change it in the first place.

Activision sold the Tenchu franchise to From Software. From Software showed some interest after publishing Tenchu 3 in Japan. That's why I thought Agetec might publish Kurenai here since they publish the Amored Core games in the US for From Software. And why the hell I know all this useless crap is beyond me lol

edit: some impressions of the Japanese version of Red Ninja....don't sound good

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessag...&topic=19601844

Edited by dejr8bud

Famitsu is #1 but I have no idea why. The translations of reviews I've read make me think of GamePro or something. I don't trust/give credit to Famitsu at all. If they're #1, it must be because the average Japanese gamer has tastes very different from mine.

Of course, not many mags "agree" with me. Gamer's Republic was close though, as was NextGen.

Famitus is generally regarded as being fairly tough on games, so a good Famitsu score USUALLY means the game doesn't have any major flaws, and more than it's share of good points.

Of course, this is a generality, not a rule.

And I basically ignore any media review automatically.

Except perhaps if a game I like is getting good reviews, as it might mean that it'll get mass-market appeal and not go down as yet another failed non-sequel, non-thug, non-fighter game.

Agreeing with the second part---frankly, nobody "agrees" with me for games, there's little point in going by a score at all.

The fact that Suikoden III, Xenosaga, and Xenosaga II all got nigh-identical scores by most reviewers I saw says a lot, since I consider those games to all be vastly different in quality, in different ways.

Agreeing with the second part---frankly, nobody "agrees" with me for games, there's little point in going by a score at all.

The fact that Suikoden III, Xenosaga, and Xenosaga II all got nigh-identical scores by most reviewers I saw says a lot, since I consider those games to all be vastly different in quality, in different ways.

RPGs especially reviews tend to be totally shot.

They review it based on an hour or 2 of game time, which in some games is still the damned intro(If I recall, in Star Ocean 2 it's an hour before you get to do anything but run around talking to people in town 1).

• 2 weeks later...

Agree or disagree with reviewers, reviews for Red Ninja are starting to come in. Game Informer magazine gave it a 3 and a 3.5 (out of 10).

I guess, if you want that "try to get through the game without being seen" or "stealth kills for everything except bosses" genre, you might be interested in this, if you're tired of Tenchu. I'm going for action, though, so I think I'll grab God of War instead.

Sorry 'bro, but sex sells, especially to the repressed sex starved male population of Japan and the sex crazed lunatic male population of the US.

Being a member of the latter, I will definitely be picking up this game, although yellowlightman does make a sorely valid point about the lackluster graphics. Those weak scores aren't really helping either. I might be better of just staring at Mai on Capcom vs Snk from all those years ago...

Edited by myk

If you want a hot ninja, buy Nightshade. In addition to being an awesome game in its own right, Hibana's one of the best video game females in a long time, IMHO. And after you win, you can play as Hisui....

And Nightshade/Kunoichi is easier than Shinobi, thankfully.

If you want a hot ninja, buy Nightshade. In addition to being an awesome game in its own right, Hibana's one of the best video game females in a long time, IMHO. And after you win, you can play as Hisui....

And Nightshade/Kunoichi is easier than Shinobi, thankfully.

You know, I didn't actually care much for Shinobi, and I've been resisting buying Nightshade... but Hibana... she calls to me like a siren everytime I see the game at work...

I just got Yoko Ishida new Album "All of me" (her 2nd album) and it has the ending theme to Red Ninja, "Foolish Dream". Its a beautiful song :D I highly recoomend this album, it has alot of good songs on it.

Yoko also sang the intro to the new AMG TV series.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my latest issue of EGM.

I turned to the reviews section and Red Ninja recieved some intersting awards!

It got the coveted SHAME OF THE MONTH award.

REVIEWS (out of 10) 4.5 4.0 4.0

Good: Gal ninjas, cool attack moves

Bad: Heinous camera, roller -coaster difficulty

Strange: Butterflies that give you tips throughout the game