How to thin Mr Surfacer?

aaajin

Hi, my question is...how to thin Mr Surfacer 1000? I tried thinner but the result was a disaster...the primer clotted and became a clay like substance after I mixed thinner with Mr Surfacer 1000. It even looks like that the primer does not dissolve even a little bit into the thinner.

May I know what actually went wrong ? Does Mr Surfacer actually mix well with thinner (Im using odorless thinner)? If not, may I know the correct way to thin Mr Surfacer?

Thanks in advance for your helps,

aaajin

PS : I tried the search function but couldnt find a post dedicated to this problem

Edited by aaajin

Hi, my question is...how to thin Mr Surfacer 1000? I tried thinner but the result was a disaster...the primer clotted and became a clay like substance after I mixed thinner with Mr Surfacer 1000. It even looks like that the primer does not dissolve even a little bit into the thinner.

May I know what actually went wrong ? Does Mr Surfacer actually mix well with thinner (Im using odorless thinner)? If not, may I know the correct way to thin Mr Surfacer?

Thanks in advance for your helps,

aaajin

PS : I tried the search function but couldnt find a post dedicated to this problem

You don't mix Mr. Surfacer 1000 with anything at all, you simply shake well then use.(I presume you got the paint on version, not the powder form) You mix thinner will ruin it. After you paint it on, let it dry then sand away.

L,.

I tried using regular laquer thinner once, and it clumped up a bit when I tried airbrushing it (I use it as a primer all the time).

The best stuff to use is Gunze Sangyo's Mr. Color Thinner. It can be kinda hard to find, but there's a couple hobby shops near me that carry it. Most mail order hobby sites in japan won't ship the stuff, but I've seen a couple american sites that will.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So, does this means we just Paint the primer on the model and sand it down (if I use Mr Surfacer 1000 for priming).....then use airbrush to paint the model? Is this step right? This is because Im afraid that Mr Surfacer will clog the airbrush..

thanks,

aaajin

Edited by aaajin

Mr.Surfacer 500 does have the tendency to cover up some of the finer details such as panel lines, that's why I use 1000.

Just apply a layer of primer/surfacer so the paint can better adhere to the surface of the kit and then spray away with paints!

I'm not sure what powder form surfacer leo is talking about since I've never seen or hear about it...But you won't ruin it by thinning it, just be sure to use the right thinner.

Maybe you should try the spray instead of the bottle surfacer so you know how the primer will work for you. I usually order a large batch of Mr.Surfacer sprays from overseas on-line shops because it is expensive in the states and sometimes hard to find.

Below are two on-line shops located in Southern California that carries some Mr.Surfacer.

https://plajapan.com/index.php?cPath=24_50?...f820c3c1d449236

http://www.best1hobby.com/html/gunze/tool.html