Anyone willing to help me convert a photo into...

Skull-1

One of our resident MWorlders made a gorgeous Elint wallpaper "painting" out of some photos of a model he made. Anyone out there willing to help me do so with a couple of my pictures? I don't think any of the photo editing programs I have are capable of doing it....

Remember the "painting" of the Elint Valk with Saturn (or Jupiter) in the background? It was gorgeous... I know people have seen it. I'll try to dig it up...as it is posted on the old site.

I would like to see a couple of these done that way, though I am not sure which one(s) is (are) the best candidate....

http://jaddams.csw.uic.edu/aod/images/Valk...ttloid%2006.jpg

http://jaddams.csw.uic.edu/aod/images/Valk...%20Jet%2015.jpg

http://jaddams.csw.uic.edu/aod/images/Valk...%20Jet%2022.jpg

http://jaddams.csw.uic.edu/aod/images/Valk...rdian%2002b.jpg

Edited by Skull-1

The most important thing to start with on a project like this is a good photograph. Try taking a sharper pic with more resolution. The second thing is to get the right background. If you can find the background first before you take the pic then you can get the lighting right. Otherwise your depending on a little luck on having two seperate materials come together.

Good luck...

Add: If you look at the reissue boxes you'd see that those actually the toys with custom background.

Edited by >EXO<

The reissue boxes look bad, though. I don't like that. What I am after is a "paintbrush" effect. Basically what I want is something like the one with the ELINT/planet background shown in the links above. The guy took a model photo, pulled it out and pasted it onto a background then made the whole thing look like a painting.

It looks so realistic. I would love to do the same with anything of mine at this point. Even that Alaska Camo Valk would work--the photos of it were very sharp.

I'm so bummed that I can't do this.....

I'd like to give it a try. Can you give me a higher resolution of the Valk in front of a white background? Also, do you want the Valk to be all grey? If the reason's that the 3D model doesn't have a paintscheme yet and you don't want to/can't add one, then I could try and go for a pencil look...

How does that sound?

Let me see what I can dig up. In the meantime, any chance you can use the Alaska Valk images? They are the clearest I have....

Marine

http://jaddams.csw.uic.edu/aod/images/Valk...rdian%2002b.jpg

Alaska

http://www.macrossworld.com/cgi-bin/mwf/ik...;hl=alaska+valk

Edited by Skull-1

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno man. Those Taka/Bandai 55s look kinda grim when one is trying to put them in a realistic looking situation. They look like toys in space. Even the Bandai Box art looks silly.

Was not the picture of the Ostrich that I put up a 1/55 that Cheng did?

Here's the picture again. This is what I want to do with some of my 55s.

post-5-1065475549_thumb.jpg

Edited by Skull-1

Yeah, except... Thats a good looking model with awesome detail. The 55 looks silly next to that thing. No matter what you do to the 55, it still looks like a toy.

I don't really care too much, I just want to know how to do it. I think I can edit swing bars and things out of it. The main thing is, how do you make a toy/model look like a painting?

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would try again since I haven't been clear enough in my query... The photo that immediately follows this post is a model converted to look like a painting. How do I do that?

Just to clarify btw, the ve-1 in that image is not a 1/55 bandai. It's a 1/72 hasegawa.

I would think that trying to achieve the same effect with your 1/55's would require a bit more work because:

1. wm chengs models look photorealistic to start with

2. the hasegawa has infinite more detail than the bandai

3. wm chengs photo taking skills/choice of lighting is very commendable

4. i don't know... but the difference in the images just merits a 4th.......

I think you guys are missing my point!!!

(BTW, thanks for the images, that is some funny stuff! I laughed my arse off.)

I don't care that Cheng's models look "photo realistic to begin with." That's not the point! The point is, they are models and have been made to look like paintings! How do you do that with anything, be it a Yammie or a Bandai or a Matchbox airplane? THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO KNOW.

The pictures I have of the Marine Valk look like ass because the camera I used was low resolution. But I am working on other customs and have a decent camera now... With some help, I would like to create backgrounds using high quality pictures to achieve a "painted" look. How do you do that with anything, not just a Wm. Cheng model?

1) What software do you need?

2) What steps do you need to do to "extract" the model from the original photo and turn it into a painting?

3) Is JASC's PaintshopPro capable of this stuff?

Edited by Skull-1

The pictures I have of the Marine Valk look like ass because the camera I used was low resolution.   But I am working on other customs and have a decent camera now...   With some help, I would like to create backgrounds using high quality pictures to achieve a "painted" look.   How do you do that with anything, not just a Wm. Cheng model?  

1) What software do you need?

2) What steps do you need to do to "extract" the model from the original photo and turn it into a painting?

3) Is JASC's PaintshopPro capable of this stuff?

Hey, that's the old VE-1 wallpaper I made. I totally forgot about that. :D Think I spent....2-4hrs on that one. (hey I love tweaking minute details.)

Okay

1) You need a very good picture of the toy (eliminate as much shadow as you can using diffused lighting or bounce as much light into shadowed areas as possible so you can see max. details)

2) Choose the background that you want.

3) Photoshop

4) extraction can be done a few ways. The most common two are: lasso tool(draw an outline around the object) or PS-> filter>extract

No idea if JASC's PSP can do this since I've never used it.

5) Layers are your friend. Make a layer for each object you want to manipulate. (ie layer for canopy, right wing, left wing, brakes,...etc.)

6) Now figure out lighting. Make layers for each lighting effect.

7) Make sure all your changes blend seemlessly into the scene otherwise you won't be getting a "painted" effect.