1/72 Lancer II step-by-step

Grayson72

Well I finally got up enough nerve to try a resin kit. I gotta build em sometime :lol: .

I decided for my first resin kit to tackle Cobywan's excellent garage kit of the 1/72 Lancer II kit. An obscure mecha that didn't get much screen time, but the more obscure the better for me anyway. I chose this kit because it is relatively straightforward with few parts and isn't quite as rare and challenging as my other kits I have. Some of which I'd kill myself if I screwed up.

This won't be so much a step-by-step as it will be progress shots, should be pretty short work too since there's not too many parts.

I scrubbed the model with a toothbrush and some dishsoap and then soaked it in soapy water.

I filled and sanded the model with some putty in some areas and Mr. Surfacer 500 in others. I filled in the deep set holes for the semi-circles because I have decals for those, I think it will look better.

At first I tried spraying with rustoleum gray primer because I had read you should primer resin kits. Well it didn't stick too well and I wound up wiping it all off with paint thinner. So I'm going with straight Tamiya acrylics and it seems to be sticking pretty good, it shouldn't be a problem after I coat it with future and then flat laquer finish.

Another first for this model is pre-shading. The post shading I tried with my VF-1A CF's wasn't subtle enough for me so I thought I'd give this a try.

Here's a shot of the main body with the top and bottom engine nacels (sp?) glued on.

post-23-1081629915_thumb.jpg

Here's a shot of the main cannons. The very ends of the cannons were brittle and thin and not totally uniform so I cut them off and replaced with brass tubing. I bought the tubing at my local hobby store. I then cut some tiny pieces of it with my Dremel tool using a cutoff wheel. I super glued them inside the ends of the cannons (which just happened to fit perfectly). The brass was a bit rough from the cutoff wheel and not totally the same size so I cleaned them up a bit more with my bench grinder. After that I cleaned them up even more with my jewelers files. Sounds like a lot of work for such a teeny part but it wasn't that big of a deal and I really like how they came out.

post-23-1081630297_thumb.jpg

Here's some more parts that I've painted. The darker parts are burnt iron and the others are gunmetal. The gunmetal is a bit shiny bit it'll tone down after I spray the flat laquer finish on it. I decided to use different metallic paints to add a little more interest.

post-23-1081740157_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Great! I'll watch this anxiously! Looks like your building instead of buying for a change!

Heh, yeah, I'm running out of room in my Macross cabinet and I wanna keep all my Macross kits in one place.

Great job so far - sorry to hear that the post shading didn't work out for you, I'll be interested in seeing how the pre-shading will be (I've never done it this way before). You might need a fair bit of the light colour to cover up all that black though.

:p Don't go building too much, you were my "See darling... look how much they have compared to what they've built! - I just need a few more boxes..." :p

The gun barrels look great!

Here's a part that was really fun for me on this model. Digging through my decals box to figure out what I wanted to use on this puppy. Here's a shot of the first pass, I may use more.

post-23-1082506343.jpg