Golion Dx Gb-36 1981 By Popy

Hi all, okay I have been collecting Golion for a long time and I have alot of variations of this toy. I just bought an original Japanese boxed Golion from a seller in Japan. It is in brand new mint condition the lions have never been put together. Anyways on to the variation... The red and green lion have the chrome elbow and tail like the one pictured on flyers and advertisement. The common production had grey plastic elbows and tail. I have seen about 4 of these chrome elbows and tail BUT the difference with mine is that the Popy logo sticker under the black lion is identical to the Popy logo on the box, it is a red sticker with white lettering as opposed to the common Popy logo with white sticker and red lettering. All lions have the Made in Japan sticker and has the sharp teeth unlike the Matchbox version so I do not think it is a bootleg. My guess is that this is a VERY early production of Golion and a true original.

Does anybody else have this version because I would like to know more about it. I really think this is a rare find and I am glad that this has fallen into my hands. Golion was a very beloved cartoon when I was a child and this brings back a lot of memories.

post-3483-1137570104.jpg

post-3483-1137570149.jpg

post-3483-1137570165.jpg

post-3483-1137570183.jpg

post-3483-1137570202.jpg

post-3483-1137570214.jpg

post-3483-1137570270.jpg

post-3483-1137570754.jpg

Edited by stuffparties

Oh and if anybody else is wondering only the chromed elbows and tail can be found in selected Japanese boxed Golions(asuming the very first limited production of these) NONE were found with the Bandai Godaikin America ones or Matchbox. So if anybody has the version I am speaking of please come forward and tell me which Popy sticker you have.

I want to know more about this.

thanks

post-3483-1137571146_thumb.jpg

post-3483-1137571169.jpg

post-3483-1137571180.jpg

Edited by stuffparties

Sad to say I have the Lionbot version. Similar box to that Go Lion but a knockoff. Nice pics. How much did you spend to get a real Go Lion?

361602[/snapback]

It was pricey but not too high. The seller didnt know its true value. I lucked out. He told me his father just passed away and he was selling a bunch of old stock from his Dad's toy shop. I never had a Golion, Voltron or Lionbot when I was young my family was poor the closest thing I got to Voltron were some coloring books. I loved that show I remember I watched that show everyday and couldnt even miss one episode. ;)

Edited by stuffparties

I fogot which forum I've seen this on (could have been Toybox DX or Robot Japan) but there's a webpage that lists the different variations of Lionbot (b/c of face paint).

361637[/snapback]

Lionbot? What about?

361638[/snapback]

http://www.dxtoy.com.tw/http/lion.html

I fogot which forum I've seen this on (could have been Toybox DX or Robot Japan) but there's a webpage that lists the different variations of Lionbot (b/c of face paint).

361637[/snapback]

Lionbot? What about?

361638[/snapback]

http://www.dxtoy.com.tw/http/lion.html

361640[/snapback]

Yup I have seen that page. The Golion I took pictures of is NOT a Lionbot. Like I said chrome elbows and tail is very rare but mine has a Popy sticker variation for the black lion along with the chrome elbow and tail for the red and green lions. Look at the pics and you will know what I am talking about. I want to learn more about the specific variation that I got. And on another note from much researching the 2 firing canon accessories for the red and green lions came in red or grey color. From researching the red came first then the grey. I say this because the majority of the Bandai America Godaikin Golion produced had the grey ones. Also if you look on the box of the Bandai America Godaikin Golion you will see the chrome elbows and tail along with the red canons.

I know I am throwing a lot of information on this thread but there are sooo many variations of Golion. It has been much debated about from message board to message board. I want to finally find what constitues to be a REAL ORIGINAL Golion. I have been looking and studying this toy for 8 years and I think I have finally found it.

Can someone prove me wrong?

Edited by stuffparties

I know I am throwing a lot of information on this thread but there are sooo many variations of Golion. It has been much debated about from message board to message board. I want to finally find what constitues to be a REAL ORIGINAL Golion. I have been looking and studying this toy for 8 years and I think I have finally found it.

Can someone prove me wrong?

361647[/snapback]

You should post your find over at ToyboxDX.com, there are more Popy experts who peruse that site. I know there are several Golion fans there and old-school gokinites who may be able to shed more light.

Nice piece. I too find it fascinating at the long life this toy has had from Popy to Bandai to Matchbox to Trendmasters and various Taiwan bootlegs.

YES YES YES!!!! It has been confirmed that what I have is the original GOLION!

First production run had the chrome midsection and tails for red and green lion. And underneath the Black Lion has the original POPY logo in red NOT white!! After 8 long years my holy grail is obtained....so happy :D

Check out the original japanese ad for this classic toy!!

First production run had the chrome midsection and tails for red and green lion. And underneath the Black Lion has the original POPY logo in red NOT white!! After 8 long years my holy grail is obtained....so happy :D

364142[/snapback]

Where is this ad? And in the first post, all your pics are only thumbnail size when you click on them.

Congradulations. I think I played with an original GoLion about 20 years ago that belonged to an older cousin because I remember some of the chrome. Years later, I would stare at Voltron boxes in Toys R Us but my parents would never let me get one since they were expensive ($50).

The only DX I've ever wanted is the Bismarck from Sei Juishi Bismarck. Know where I can find one?

364142[/snapback]

Where is this ad? And in the first post, all your pics are only thumbnail size when you click on them.

Congradulations. I think I played with an original GoLion about 20 years ago that belonged to an older cousin because I remember some of the chrome. Years later, I would stare at Voltron boxes in Toys R Us but my parents would never let me get one since they were expensive ($50).

The only DX I've ever wanted is the Bismarck from Sei Juishi Bismarck. Know where I can find one?

364192[/snapback]

Crap some how the ad is not loading.

Its a very nice ad vintage and rare too!

I will keep trying.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...