The DUTCH factor.. Importance of PREDATOR

Rate the level of importance of Predator in the world of Science Fiction.  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the level of importance of Predator in the world of Science Fiction.

• Predator defines Sci-Fi for me. It was crucial to the genre.
    • Predator is a great film but it didn't do much for the future of Sci-Fi.
    • I have never seen Predator.
    • I thought Predator was lame ass.

As good as Predator was, I don't think it breeched any boundaries. Also, (and this isn't a knock against Arnold at all), I think the movie would've been just as good with any other major action star of the time at the helm (ex: Sylvester Stalone or Kurt Russell could've pulled off an equally good show in the "Dutch" role)

By the time "Predator" came out, the storyline had already been played out in the "Alien" series (not yet a trillogy at the time), ALA isolated group of scientists/soldiers gets whittled down to the last badass(es) of the group to take on the final challenge. Before 15 minutes was over with, I could tell you who was going to die and take a remote stab (no pun intended) at how they'd probably check out. I remember, I was dead-on about the Indian, but I did think that "The Body" would make it out alive.

Having said that, I did enjoy the movie for it's mindless violence factor (let's face it, Arnie's movies GENERALLY are favored by the "mindless action" junkies), I mean, anytime someone opens up with a minigun, it's going to be a good time :) Not to mention it featured my favorite squad-weapon of the time period (the M-203)

Edited by Skull Leader

as much as i loved predator, i can never shake the feeling that i'm watching something of a B-movie when i watch it.

i routeinly feel like these guys are running around in the landscaping and parks around the studio.

the saving grace is the utter bad assness of the predator. the design and presence the predator creature have basicly carries the movie.

all the human's seemed somewhat flat, except for the two black guys, they had some real dynamics. the rest needed simply to fire big guns, or giggle their boobs a bit ( depending on who they were)

so, the ONE thing i think predator did was show horror movie makers that taking the creature more seriously can have a big impact on how well your movie does.

otherwise i don't think predator did much for the genera as a whole.

There should be an "Eh" oftion on that poll

So you are one of the guys that voted for "lame ass" huh?

The movie is so great its beyond words, but I guess not everyone is like me... Too bad for them.

No i havent made a vote, i dont think that movie sucks ass. I agrre that its a good movie...but in regards to what stated in the first post, i believe the first Terminator deserves those merrits.

lets see, it solidified the governators place in hollywood, it was big budgect action scifi, there was noting like it before that (i cant be sure of that, i was born one year before TRMTR came out) and tons of movies leech of its ideas. (hell even predator does that, ahem, being chased around by an unstopable force anyone?). umm i hope you realise theres nothing corny about The Terminator >.<!, please you have to aggre with me on this sir, its for your own good :):p.

Now you should see why there should be and "EH" clause, Its agood movie, it might have helped the alien scifi genre, and it has the governator in it just around his apex of non mediocrity(that starts right after terminator 2 ><, starting with twins ).

<corn factor warming> "the following paragraph is full of corn cheese"

Now please, i must go now, and Preach the word about this movie. Our life depends on it..who knows wen and machines will start sending killer bots from the future and try to end civilitation.

...umm i just woke up, plz dont make any bad judgements about me from ths post

lets see, it solidified the governators place in hollywood, it was big budgect action scifi, there was noting like it before that (i cant be sure of that, i was born one year before TRMTR came out) and tons of movies leech of its ideas.

I think Terminator II was more influential in those regards.

I will say that Predator is easily the second best Arnie movie behind the incredibly awesome Conan the Barbarian.

BTW - You mentioned Anchorman, A1 - what did you guys think of it?  People either love it or hate it.

Anchorman was awesome!

No Arnold = Not a good movie :p

I have a feeling this mantra will outlive us all. Damn you for that, AgentONE.

:lol:

The 2nd one. Good movie but I don't think it was anything revolutionary.

Course, most of you people seem to think Blade Runner is something great when it's kinda plain to me (and indeed dated in many ways: partciularly the Japanese-hyseteria of the 80s).

I will say that Predator is easily the second best Arnie movie behind the incredibly awesome Conan the Barbarian.

BTW - You mentioned Anchorman, A1 - what did you guys think of it?  People either love it or hate it.

Anchorman was awesome!

No Arnold = Not a good movie :p

I have a feeling this mantra will outlive us all. Damn you for that, AgentONE.

:lol:

Not only will it live on, I think in the future there will be two types of movies, ones with The Oak, and ones without...

So in the future movie critics will say, "it was decent.. for a NON-Schwarzenegger movie."