1/3000 vs 1/4000 macross? WTF

Solscud007

Ok I just had a thought. The Takatoku and matchbox macross are 1/3000 scale. While the Yellow Sub Macross is 1/4000 scale. Was thinking it would be cool to make the ARMD arms from the Yellow sub kit and put them on the Matchbox to make a Dyrl valk. What do you guys think? how much of a difference is 1/3000 vs 1/4000? dont forget these are two differnet companies. We have seen what 1/55 means to Bandai and what it means to Toynami. same scale but not even close. Is the models physically similar size as teh toy?

as someone who owns/has owned both, I can honestly say that the ARMD platforms would look incredibly short and stubby on a 1/3000 SDF-01. Not to mention the entire shoulder would have to be reworked (the gun pivots on the tv version are external, in the movie version they're internal), main gun booms would have to be longer, etc..

They're really completely different animals... but it would be neat to see someone try.

as someone who owns/has owned both, I can honestly say that the ARMD platforms would look incredibly short and stubby on a 1/3000 SDF-01. Not to mention the entire shoulder would have to be reworked (the gun pivots on the tv version are external, in the movie version they're internal), main gun booms would have to be longer, etc..

They're really completely different animals... but it would be neat to see someone try.

Ok so then couldnt you say recast the ARMD twice? Cut one in half then take a middle section out from another recast and insert it to make it longer? haha and the same can be done to make it wider too. I guess shoulders would need serious reworking hmm but doable.

I have both Taka and Matchbox 1/3000 and G-Sys SDF-1, made from YS kits. The arm will be too short as described by Skull, Even though it is 1/1000 scale differences, there is significant size difference, because they use different scale formulas.

Ok I just had a thought. The Takatoku and matchbox macross are 1/3000 scale. While the Yellow Sub Macross is 1/4000 scale. Was thinking it would be cool to make the ARMD arms from the Yellow sub kit and put them on the Matchbox to make a Dyrl valk. What do you guys think? how much of a difference is 1/3000 vs 1/4000? dont forget these are two differnet companies. We have seen what 1/55 means to Bandai and what it means to Toynami. same scale but not even close. Is the models physically similar size as teh toy?

If I did my math right a 1/3000 is 1.34 times larger than the 1/4000, as a reference the 1/55 is 1.09 times larger than a 1/60.

ok wow that is a big difference haha. But maybe you can enlarge the ARMD and then modify the shoulder cannons.

oh for those of you who do own both could you take a picture of the armd from YS in comparison to Daedalus or promethus? thanks

Edited by Solscud007

It's exactly like trying to match parts from a 1/3 scale model and a 1/4 scale model. The 1/3 (1/3000) is 1.33 times the size of the 1/4 (1/4000). Or viewed the other way, the 1/4 is 75% the size of the 1/3. (mslz22 made a slight rounding error.)

I think you'd be better off scratchbuilding a pair of ARMDs using lineart and/or models as reference, the way that kishimoto does.

Your best bet is to scratch build, it is not too hard of a shape. You could build out of basswood (or such) and laminate with styrene. If you know how to mold and cast you could take a mold of it before adding the details that oppose each other (ie the towers) and then add the scribing and details to the resin copy.....

heres kishimoto's custom you buy his dyrl sdf 1. The thing looks bad azz but I wish it was custom out of styren plastice instead of stock card bard. But he did hella of a job. I think this one of the noly one that he actually included a open and closing landing dock.

49_1.JPG

96_1.JPG

ed_1.JPG

from rich

I think Kishimoto is making better ones... the ARMD platforms actually look like the ones from the movie. I would buy it if he'd do it in Styrene. I don't like the idea of cardboard on the Macross...

Yes Nick,

a 1000th scale is a very big difference!

btw, Happy Be-lated Birthday

:p

It would be 1.2 meters long at 1/1000 scale.

Tad too big to me.

I like 1/4000 personally. 30cm long cruiser.

Why not just get the Armd measurements from Kishimoto's. I don't think it would be too tough for someone of your skill to scratch build ARMD arms for the 1/3000 macross. there's still going to be other differences though. I've thought about doing this myself but I don't currently have a SDF-1 to put the arms on. Gotta find a cheap one.

Edited by jwinges