Minmay DYRL vs Minmay TV serie

Godzilla

I know everybody like the DYRL version of Minmay b/c she was a lot more mature and so forth but why the difference? Most of the characters' personalities stayed pretty much the same DYRL.

I apologize if the topic been discussed but it has been bugging me since I just watched DYRL last night.

I agree with RichterX. Minmay had to start as a pop star, not as a naive teenager.

Also, Hikaru really is quite different between the TV show and the movie. In the TV show he's more introspective and thoughtful; in the movie he's still no ladykiller, but he doesn't mope and worry about how to express his feelings.

Given that they didn't have time to show either of the two characters "grow up", if they wanted to maintain the love triangle they had to truncate the teenage angst portion and go straight to the conflict. With all the other stuff going on, there's no time for Hikaru to have doubts about whether Minmay's interested in him--they need to develop a strong attachment quickly, which means getting to the point which in the TV show would correspond to episodes 34-35.

Edited by ewilen

Minmay in DYRL didn't play any stupid games with Hikaru. Once she decided she liked him, she actually wanted to see him and *gasp* date him. TV Minmay was a flightly, flirty, spoiled little bitch.

Minmay-DYRL was a bit older and she was hot. And I mean hot. All those raging pheromones/hormones, man.

She doesn't want to just date Hikaru.

Minmay wants to do Hikaru really bad. Really bad.

And she wasn't holding back nor was she as ditzy or airheaded like the tv-version. She's quite possessive and assertive, too.

Edited by treatment

Guest Khyron_Prime

Maybe this response is a bit too primal, but despite all of the personality differences that may or may not have made DYRL? Minmay better, don't forget that, before you even hear her sing or speak, "Do You Remember Love?" Minmay is a lot more beautiful than her television counterpart. I'll bet that, in many cases (especially amongst the more-casual fandom), this is a major breaking-point in the 'which one is better' debate.

Not bad enough to go to a "love hotel" with him on the first date.

People are welcome to their interpretations but in my opinion, even though DYRL-Minmay is more grown up, she's not quite a 90's "Sex in the City" woman.

Not bad enough to go to a "love hotel" with him on the first date.

People are welcome to their interpretations but in my opinion, even though DYRL-Minmay is more grown up, she's not quite a 90's "Sex in the City" woman.

*ahem*

Look at our mod Roy Focker's avatar.

Remember that scene? Yes, you do. :p

I'm not saying she's a tart and she proved it by refusing the love-hotel on the first date. :lol:

Edited by treatment

I don't think Minmay's personality was all that different between the DYRL? Minmay, and the Minmay from the tv series, but at the very end after she had matured a lot. In the movie, instead of showing the younger, dity Minmay personality, they skipped to her after she had grown up a bit and had matured.

I agree with all here: DYRL Minmay is hot (especially the check dress) and much, much, MUCH better than the TV version, although if I had to give a single reason it would be this part from ewilen's post "They had to truncate the teenage angst portion and go straight to the conflict."

I think we can all agree that truncated teenage angst = GOOD. At least for the over 20's crowd. I mean angst is something I laugh at now, same as adults did to me when I was a teenager. :D

*ahem*

Look at our mod Roy Focker's avatar.

Remember that scene?  Yes, you do.  :p

I'm not saying she's a tart and she proved it by refusing the love-hotel on the first date.  :lol:

But...but...Minmay was "acting" in that scene. Her "come on" is preceded with some talk about how Hikaru was fooled by how she performed on screen, so she's doing a demo. Obviously she likes him, but she's not sincerely offering herself to him--she's toying with him and enjoys watching him get flustered.

In my opinion, DYRL Minmay enjoys flirting with Hikaru, and unlike SDF Minmay, she doesn't engage in mind-messing ambiguity about the budding relationship (e.g., SDF Minmay's "just a friend" comments). She's also not so caught up in her career that she takes him for granted; in fact it's the other way around. But really, their relationship is only on the verge of getting serious when it's cut short by the Zentradi capturing them.

So I agree that she has a straightforward attraction to Hikaru, which she doesn't hide, but whether she's ready to hop into the sack with him depends on other factors include the prevailing social norms and her experience. (Personally, I think both she and Hikaru are still pretty innocent in DYRL. You can certainly see it in the way he gets ribbed by his teammates, and for that matter in the fact that she hasn't completely broken out of the situation where her social life is managed by Kaifun.)

Frankly, although I'm married (somehow), a lot of that stuff remains a mystery to me. In my world, if a young woman flirts and goes on a couple dates, that means there's a possibility that things could get serious, but how fast and with what probability? In the particular case of DYRL-Minmay, how you see it probably depends on when you were a teenager, whether you're Japanese or American, city or country, and personal psychology.

But I definitely feel that the "seduction" scene in itself is not good indication of Minmay's intentions. It's just flirting, with the "meaning" of the flirting being up to viewer interpretation.

DYRL Minmay was MUCH more tolerable. I remember hating Minmei in RT as a kid. I recently rewatched the original Macross TV series and found myself forwarding through all the monotaneous Minmay scenes. In DYRL I loved the way she explained everything to Hikaru while floating in that room in the Macross. Eventually Hikaru did slap her to wake her up from selfishness, but I actually had sympathy for her. A girl stranded in a ship and was depended on to lift everyones spirits through her music. She was mobbed by the media, didn't have much of a private life, and did have feelings for Hikaru. She was more mature than the series character and I thought the development was done very well being that they had much less time to establish their relationship. Especially that it was a key element in the storyline.

TV series Minmei was flighty. In DYRL, she MIGHT have been flighty. Saying that Minmei was more mature in DYRL is kind of speculation. Fact is, in the movie, we don't spend enough time with any of the characters.

LePoseur, while I'm sure we've all had our fill of angsty teenagers, it still made Hikaru more developed in the series. I mean, I know I wasn't any Roy Focker when I was Hikaru's age... I was probably a lot more like Hikaru. While more positive characters would certainly be appreciated, I still think character developement is essential.

I recently rewatched the original Macross TV series and found myself forwarding through all the monotaneous Minmay scenes.

I really don't think this should be a Minmay-bashing thread, though I can agree with LordSixx's statement to a certain level. But at least for me, there's no way I can hate Minmay in any display, and I can recognise that filling thirty six episodes of television is a different level altogether than a two hour movie.

As said, Minmay was 'younger' in a sense in the television show--less mature, more fleeting, and always confused and shying from commitment because she couldn't bring herself to make-up her mind, namely, in deciding between Hikaru and her career. She wanted her cake and to eat it too, and in the end, she was forced to choose one 'cause the other was gone.

The DYRL? Minmay had none of that, really. I mean, she basically told Hikaru that she was gonna throw her career away 'cause she was hopelessly in love with him (whether she meant it or not). Perhaps this is a more subtle approach to the TV-version's lack of commitment, but it totally changes her character, does it not?

I guess that, when I think of Minmay, I kinda have a hybrid theory about her in my mind. It isn't that DYRL? and TV versions are separate, but that, inside all of us, there's memories of both, and each one really can't be separated from the other.

• 2 weeks later...