MACROSS PLUS MOVIE EDITION JAPANESE GOOD OR NOT?!

isamu-ad

Hi everybody,

j just see the manga video edition of macross plus the movie just one word:Beurk!!! it s the same quality that my old vhs but the pb is it's a DVD!!!!

So j just want to know if some of u have seen The macross plus movie edition but the japanese DVD j want to know if the master and quality idf near the laserdisc version or it s look like the crappy manga video version....One more thing is j want to know if the japanese version use anamorphic format for the movie or not (16/9)

Thanks for all ur future reply :)

The video for the Japanese R2 DVD is really good. Its clean. Colors are solid. No bleeding. Its not a VHS dump like Mangas. Sound is 2.0. There's no English subs and no chapter search. Its not in 16:9 anamorphic widescreen. Just 4:3 fullscreen. Like the OVAs.

Thks for all ur reply too bad that the transfer is not an anamorphic :(

but if the quality is much much better than the manga video edition no pb j will buy it j know that the price i snt discount for this dvd but j really want a perfect copy of the movie....For the subtitile, j will create mine then put them again on a dvd-r 9 for a perfect french subtitle version...

Have a nice day to all many thks!!!!

Edited by isamu-ad

Well, unless I'm mistaken, the OVA was filmed in tv aspect, and since the movie used a good amount of that footage, it only makes sense that it was also done tv aspect.

Unfortunate, but if the movie was not made in widescreen, the only way to make a widescreen version would to chop the top and bottom off, and that defeats the purpose.

If you really want good picture and sound, get the Japanese version, but there will be no subtitles.

Unfortunate, but if the movie was not made in widescreen, the only way to make a widescreen version would to chop the top and bottom off, and that defeats the purpose

Much like Transformers The Movie, yet I still hear fans asking for a widescreen version of that.

Unfortunate, but if the movie was not made in widescreen, the only way to make a widescreen version would to chop the top and bottom off, and that defeats the purpose

Much like Transformers The Movie, yet I still hear fans asking for a widescreen version of that.

That was made tv aspect? Strange, but it does make the fact that there are no widescreen versions available make a whole lot more sense.

I do seem to recall differences in pan and scan between different versions of the movie, but maybe I'm misremembering.

That was made tv aspect? Strange, but it does make the fact that there are no widescreen versions available make a whole lot more sense.

I do seem to recall differences in pan and scan between different versions of the movie, but maybe I'm misremembering.

A lot of movies are actually produced in 4:3. Even live-action ones.

Funny thing is the film they use actually has 4:3 frames, so it's not a lot of extra work, really.

And they KNOW they're going to do a home video release later, so they may as well keep teh matte'd out area in mind while filming.

Hence, full-frame movie releases.

Personally, I prefer widescreen. It just looks better to me.

From what I understand, the UK release is widescreen, but artificially so. They are missing part of the picture, obviously.

There's a reason for that, a reason why widescreen exists and why televisions are moving to a widescreen aspect. It's closer to how we naturally see. Try and put your fingers at the very edge of your vision. We actually view the world in a wider aspect ratio than most movies are filmed in.

From what I understand, the UK release is widescreen, but artificially so. They are missing part of the picture, obviously.

No, the UK release is not widescreen. Not sure how this rumour started, I've read it many times, but it is not true.

No, the UK release is not widescreen. Not sure how this rumour started, I've read it many times, but it is not true.

I've seen the screen caps to go with the "rumor". That's odd...

There's a reason for that, a reason why widescreen exists and why televisions are moving to a widescreen aspect. It's closer to how we naturally see. Try and put your fingers at the very edge of your vision. We actually view the world in a wider aspect ratio than most movies are filmed in.

I know.

I also know that some people can't stand to have a screen that isn't completely full.

well the REAL reason for wide screen was originaly as part of the gimick craze in the early history of movies. smello-vision and the obsene Cinema-scope (cool but :blink: over kill maybe?) fell by the way side but the wider aspect ratios stood the test of time.

movie makers like to give audiences something they cant get at home, but wide screen is becomeing so popular (both because it is assosicated with high quality, and probably because of the reason you stated above) that its makeing the jump to TV screen size.

personally i like square tv's with the wide screen shown in the middle. i prefer it to using a wide screen tv and watching non wide screen stuff with usually grey or black bars on the sides. or streached, i can't stand streached.

I know.

I also know that some people can't stand to have a screen that isn't completely full.

isn't annoying when someone is like "hey, they're covering up the movie i want to see it ALL!"

arg! they dont get it.