Quick heads-up: 21-plane salute for Reagan

Yeah, I know, this could be considered political, but I'm posting it here for the sheer "aviation coolness" of the event. Should be this afternoon/early evening. So keep your TV's on!

PRESS RELEASE -- Secretary of the Air Force, Directorate of Public Affairs

Release No. 0608048

Jun 8, 2004

Air Force flyover scheduled for funeral

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The Air Force will perform a 21-ship flyover Wednesday over the District in honor of former President Ronald Reagan as part of the funeral procession.

The expected route is from south to north up 4th Street S.W., crossing the National Mall and Constitution Avenue at 1000 feet.

A single fighter aircraft will lead five four-ship formations spaced at 10 second intervals. The final formation will perform the missing man maneuver as the planes cross Constitution Avenue. In a missing man maneuver, a wingman will break formation, rocketing skyward, leaving a hole in the formation, in honor of and signifying the loss of a fellow comrade in arms.

The flyover will consist of F-15E Strike Eagles assigned to the 4th Fighter Wing at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C. The F-15E Strike Eagle is a dual-role fighter designed to perform air-to-air and air-to-ground missions, able to fight at low altitude day or night in inclement weather.

A lot of people (including me) were hoping it'd be the USS Ronald Reagan's airwing doing the flyover. (They are currently in the area I believe, not out in the Pacific or something) The Navy benefitted more than any other service due to Reagan I believe.

::edit:: It's of the coast of south South America, but the airwing probably could have made it. Currently all-Hornet though, like the Nimitz. :p

Also, the Navy (unlike the Air Force) does do "massive" formations all the time. I've got a shot of 24 Tomcats (two full squadrons) in formation. As well as 2 24-ship formations together (the entire fighter/attack wing). If it had been the navy doing it, it would have been one single awesome 21-plane formation, not 5 groups of 4.

::edit:: Found it, 21-plane F-14 formation, the Navy does it right. Far more impressive. Black Aces leading the wing.

Edited by David Hingtgen

DH, wanna post the pic of the 24 f-14's? i'd like to see that.

**edit**

::edit:: Found it, 21-plane F-14 formation, the Navy does it right. Far more impressive. Black Aces leading the wing.
:o:blink: don't keep me waiting so long next time. ;) Edited by KingNor

1. That is a shot of what SHOULD have been. That's simply the Black Aces and the Tophatters "coming home" after a deployment. Biggest pic online I could find of a cool, Navy formation flyover.

2. No good shots of the flyover for Ronald Reagan, since they weren't really in formation...

Random formation pics:

Representative airwing, F-14, F-18, A-6, E-2, S-3, and I'm betting the lowest A-6 is actually an EA-6B.

http://www.swordsmen.org/aviat-gall/form1.jpg

Proof that Tomcats can fly with their wings at whatever setting that they want:

http://ssnider.com/navy/JPJones/JPJ_flyover.jpg

Edited by David Hingtgen