Who wants a guide on how to make Shin's F-14?

David Hingtgen

Well, I'm going to do it anyways as I know at least one person wants it, but basically: the more people that show interest, the more comprehensive (and the more pics) I'll do. Due to the fact that Shin's F-14 is 99% identical to a Fujimi F-14D, it's not too hard to make an accurate model of his plane from that kit.

However---I do not plan to build Shin's! I'm building Fujimi F-14A's and D's at the moment, and have already taken quite a few "hints and tips" pics. I can only show about 80% of what needs to be done, and can only describe what needs to be done for the rest. (AFAIK, only the rare F-14D prototype release includes the instructions for what you need to do, the other F-14D releases simply include the parts) A large part of it will be how to raise the flaps and slats, so as to have working swing-wings.

PS--it should also be a good primer on how to build/paint any F-14 kit, especially a Fujimi.

PPS--I'm not wm_cheng, don't expect amazing pics of an amazing model. :)

PPPS---this is the kit I'll be referencing, as it's the only Fuji F-14D currently easy to acquire (and don't bother looking anywhere but HLJ, not a single store in the USA has it AFAIK): http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?FUJ28010

I'd love to see one, David! I'm still on my own "spiritual journey" to learn all of the differences between the A and D and how Shin's aircraft fit into all of this. I don't know exactly when I'll do it, but I want to build one!

I'm still learning too! (it never ends). Just learned some stuff about Bombcats a few days ago. It's one of the reasons I never try TOO hard for cockpit details, especially spending 30 bucks on a resin one---there's SO many variations, you could easily put a less-accurate one in (even if it is more detailed). There is no ""standard F-14B" cockpit for instance. It's practically squadron-by-squadron, and often plane-by-plane. Yeah, you might think Bu. #'s 161619 and 161620 would have the same cockpit, being built next to each other at the same time in the factory, but they don't..... F-14B's all have generally similar cockpits, but surely not identical. And they may or may not be identical to any particular F-14A. And may or may not incorporate some F-14D things. There's many A's with better cockpits than B's. D's are all pretty similar though, since there's so few of them, and they simply haven't had enough time to get changed much.

Or in summary---don't spend 50 hours and 50 dollars on the cockpit, unless you've got a photo of *THAT* plane, there's probably something wrong with it anyways. :)

*pilot* silly me..... jimmy's autopilot toggle is on the RIGHT... that was his jettison switch.... hope he doesn't notice..

Given all the crap the F-14 has gone through in the past two decades, I'm sure lots of plane captains have come up with very unique ways to upgrade their planes. Such as the first F-14s that were modded to use LANTIRN instead of coming factory standard with the wiring (weren't the Jolly Rogers one of those?)

Hey David,

I for one would be really interested in see your progress and following along. I love this stuff and plan on doing a Hasegawa 1/72 F-14 sometime...

Can't wait. I'd invest in a resin cockpit though, the Verlinden ones are only $10 bucks (plus they include seats!), and they look great - I don't care that much if at 1/72 scale if all the buttons are in the right place, but I do think that the cockpit should be more than just decals (unless you're gluing the canopy shut). As long as it looks cool overall, than that's more important than if all the toggles are in the right place! :p

Good luck, looking forward to it.

All the Hase and Fuji F-14's have raised instrument detail, good enough for me. (Just started the Fuji cockpit last night--only came out "ok"--that'll teach me to try to drybrush at 3AM! ) I glue the canopy shut a lot of the time--it's usually only raised if it won't fit closed very well. (Also, an open canopy requires a nice line where the fuselage exterior paint meets the black cockpit sill paint---I hate masking right-angles, the paint is almost certain to bleed somewhere) The Hase photoetch panels are SO fine, I'm thinking they might be beyond my drybrushing ability. (They're like .00001 inches above the surface) That'd be ironic, being forced to use decals because it's TOO fine!

Neova--get that Hase 1/48 F-14D. Those are rare, and a wealth of good parts. (You'll have lots of "A" parts left over when you build a Hase D)

PS--to everybody, a LOT of Hase F-14's in both 1/72 and 1/48 have shown up on Ebay lately. More than in the past 6 months. If you want one, now's the time to buy. I mean, there's no F-14 B's or D's in my entire state at the moment (I've checked). There's almost no B's or D's at the major online stores, either. B's are rarer than D's. But you can ALWAYS build a perfect B from a D kit.

PPS---if people want to use Hase instead of Fuji, I'll include directions for that too, though it'll only be "really close", as Hase doesn't make the fuselage nibs/burner duct you need. Actually, it'd basically be "Build a B, and add in the dual chinpod". We are basically using an error in the Fuji model, that Shin's CGI model also has. The Hase is actually "too accurate" to make a perfect Shin's. :)

PPPS---Since all Fuji F-14A+/B/D kits include those burner ducts, I have quite the pile of spares! But trust me, they will NOT fit a Hase (I've tried).

Edited by David Hingtgen

Hmmn. I'm not TOO familiar with the Revell. I believe it has only a D cockpit, which is wrong for Shin's. AFAIK, it's the only D kit that does not include an A cockpit, too. And the back end's wrong for both Shin's and a D. Basically, Revell F-ed up big time with that mold. They made separate parts for the gun vents, and the back ends, so as to allow accurate models of any F-14. However, the included the "A" back ends in the "D" kits. And no, they did not include "D" back ends in the "A" kits. There are no 1/48 "D" back ends from Revell. :p

All in all--it all depends on how accurate you want. 90% of all F-14B/D "things", be they paintings, toys, diecast models, or plastic kits, are nothing more than an "A" with new nozzles. And 90% of people are ok with that, since the nozzles are the most obvious difference. However, to accomodate new engines and new nozzles, the entire back end of the plane was re-shaped. Not REALLY obvious, but anyone who knows the difference can spot it instantly. (Large, square fairings vs small oval ones, and smooth vs plated ducts) Only the Hase kits have this new back end.

Fujimi made a VERY accurate model of an F-14B/D test plane, which really wasn't either. But it did exist in real life. And THAT is what Shin's is--a one-off. Unlike any real F-14B or D, but just like a Fujimi kit. (This is annoying to modelers, since the other 99.9% of F-14B's and D's in the world don't match the Fuji kit, and thus it takes some work to make a real D from a Fuji--but not much work at all to make Shin's)

That's probably a much longer answer than you were looking for. Basically: No, you'd have the wrong cockpit and back end, which are the main 2 things that differentiate the F-14A/B/D. But there's no way in 1/48 to make an accurate Shin's, though a Hase would be quite a bit closer. Revell's F-14D isn't really anything--can't make an A, B, or D from it. It's got half the parts of a D and half the parts of an A. And though you can USUALLY make a B with parts like that, you can't with the Revell.

Neova--get that Hase 1/48 F-14D. Those are rare, and a wealth of good parts. (You'll have lots of "A" parts left over when you build a Hase D)

PS--to everybody, a LOT of Hase F-14's in both 1/72 and 1/48 have shown up on Ebay lately. More than in the past 6 months. If you want one, now's the time to buy. I mean, there's no F-14 B's or D's in my entire state at the moment (I've checked). There's almost no B's or D's at the major online stores, either. B's are rarer than D's. But you can ALWAYS build a perfect B from a D kit.

Thanks David! I'm on it like Vostok 7 on Millia! :D

PS: If ANYBODY wants me to pickup the Hasegawa 1/48 F-14D kit or F-14 A Atlantic Fleet kit, let me know. I'll try to nab all in the store before someone else swoops on them.

Price was 40 USD for the F-14D kit and 30 USD for the F-14A Kit. Shipping is going to be a tad up there ~ 15 USD due to size and weight.

Those prices are significantly better than retail. You can easily pay 50 to 55 for a 1/48 Hase. (They've actually gone down in price--they used to retail for 60 to 62).

If anyone plans to use other decals on the kit, I'd pay $$$ for the Atlantic fleet decal sheet. (Or if you want to make another squadron, I just want the VF-111 decals--there's like 4 decal options on that sheet).

David and all,

If you guys just want the decals, I can buy the kits and send you only the decals.

Shipping should be 5 bux via registered mail for a few sheets with a cardboard sandwich.

Let me know since I will head there today to nab that F-14 D. I saw only one but if they have more, I'll pick them all up for you guys.

Edited by Neova

David,

I did see a Pacific Fleet Kit F-14A at another Hobby Shop. I'll check into it for you.

Edit - still there. ~ 30 USD for the kit though.

I picked up my F-14 D CVW ??? Kit. It was cheaper than I thought ~ 30 USD and not 40! But the few re-issue 1/48 F-14A Atlantic Fleet were selling briskly! Only 1 left.

Edited by Neova

Basically, Revell F-ed up big time with that mold. F-14D isn't really anything--can't make an A, B, or D from it. It's got half the parts of a D and half the parts of an A. And though you can USUALLY make a B with parts like that, you can't with the Revell.

Thanks for the reply. I guess, since the Revell kit can't even make an accurate "real life" F-14, I won't feel bad about putting some Macross decals on it. Sure, it won't be Shin's, but it could be one of his buddies. :)

I went to Little Rock today, hunting for a good Hase or Fuji VF-14D kit... all they had was the Fujimi F-14D prototype (the one with the white and red paintjob) in 1/72 scale... and although I suppose I could bash it into a decent Shin- F-14, there were no hardpoints on the model kit, nor did it include any. My hunt continues..

I also saw one of the Revell monstrosities.... It listed it as a D, and the pictures show D style nozzles on them... but with the A type fairings! The nozzles stuck WAY out on the back of the jet itself. It also mis-labelled the aircraft. The model itself (and the paintings on the box) showed VX-9 markings on it while the box insisted it was a VF-154 Black Knights.... strange....

Edited by Skull Leader

Told you the Revell was messed up.

No weapons on the Fuji F-14D prototype? Are you sure? Because the weapons sprue also has some cockpit and gear parts, and I don't think you could build the kit without it.

FYI, both the Fuji and Hase F-14's have no hardpoints molded "open"---you drill them out if you want to add something, due to the many options. Your standard "flashed over holes". And F-14's only have 2 pylons anyways.

To be honest, the kit was vacuum-wrapped, so I couldn't see for certain. None of the pictures on the box showed anything about weaponry, and none of the writing (what little of it that was in english) said anything about it either (to top it all off, for a 1/72 kit, it was 40 dollars! For that price I didn't want to take any chances.)

The guy watching the store today was a total n00b... he was into RC racing and knew NOTHING about model planes. (he DID tell me that Hobbytown USA is no longer able to order Fujimi F-14s though, or at least, their computer told him as much)

Edited by Skull Leader

The Fujimi F-14D prototype costs a lot more than the others. Has more photoetch than a regular Fuji F-15, similar to a Hase. Still, I believe it lacks the chinpod and gunvents needed for Shin's.

I have only seen 1 Fuji F-14 in the US in like 5 years. About 2 months ago, the F-14 Jolly Rogers re-release. They are generally imported by MRC and used to be fairly common. But now that MRC is all buddy-buddy with Academy, they pretty much stopped getting Fuji's. Thankfully, Fuji seems to be doing better recently, and they're producing more kits. (No new molds in years, but they do often tweak the existing ones and reissue new variants, and have been using cartograph decals in most of the recent releases)

PS--Hobbytown USA *is* R/C, it's been going that way for years. As stores get remodeled, R/C gets bigger and kits get smaller. Still, usually a good place for Tamiya supplies.

That's primarily what I use them for. The sad thing being, they're the "best" place to get models in Arkansas.... and that makes me wanna cry. Before this particular store moved across town, they kicked ass... they even had a kitbash section were you could buy leftover sprues for .50 a piece (each one had to be labelled in type and scale before it could be sold) and a section for aftermarket decals... they had Hase's out the butt (they still do... just no Tomcats on hand) I could even get roleplaying stuff... now the forecast for every trip to that store will be a 99% chance of "suck". Oh well, I picked up another can of flat clearcoat (I have to stock up every time I go...any clearcoat to be found in my hometown seems to insist on being a glosscoat) and some more sheet-styrene. Picked up some more academy modelling putty too... been out for a while.

There's another smaller-time dealer in another town not too far away that I'm gonna try tomorrow... he's supposed to be pretty good about havng kits on hand that no one else does.

Edited by Skull Leader

That's the right paint scheme... but that wasn't the picture on the box... there was a painting of the tomcat in flight and the bottom had no picture (just brown), but there was an advertisement for a SU-27 kit. The top picture on the box didn't even have any text as I recall.