Need Help with e-bay

I got a e-mail today, from e-bay saying I need to update my account.Now they have never done this before.So i was wondering.Is this those fake e-mails going around?It wants to know my info.The thing that strikes me as weird.Is they say if I do not reply, my account will become suspended and I wont be able to use e-bay in any way nor make a new account.So I assume this is a fake e-mail.But this is the first time I ever got anything like this so I want to make sure.Thankyou for your help.

The e-mail says this:

Account Update with eBay Auction Community

Update Your Account Information Within 24 Hours

Valued eBay Member,

We regret to inform you that your eBay account could be suspended if you don't resolve your problems. To resolve this problems please click here and login into your account in order to resolve the problems. If your

problems could not be resolved your account will be suspended for a period of 3-4 days, after that it will be operational again.Per the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also

take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes the registering of a new account.Please note that this suspension does not relieve you of your agreed-upon obligation to pay any fees you may owe to ebay.

Never share your eBay password to anyone!

Establish your proof of identity with ID Verify (free of charge) - an easy way to help others trust you as their trading partner. The process takes about 5 minutes to complete and involves updating your eBay information. When you're successfully verified, you will receive an ID Verify icon in your feedback profile.

All fields below are required. Please double check before you click Submit button

Enter Your Registration Information

User ID

Password

Account type Seller Buyer

Name

First Name

M.I.

Last Name

Email address

Email password

City

State/Province

Primary phone #

for example, (415) 555-0304

Secondary phone # (optional)

Fax # (optional)

Announcements | Register | Safe Trading Tips | Policies | Feedback Forum | About eBay

Copyright © 1995-2004 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy.

this is false ebay will never send anything like this in a email, never submit a password through email, I get these alot ,you will get more down the line , the scammers never stop doing this, you may also get some from paypal as well, never submit they just want to get your passwords so they can screw your account, just delete that email.

Chris

Without looking at the mail header I cannot be 100% sure, but I'll bet 99.999% it's fake.

If you can decipher mail header, turn your mail client to view the message's full header and see where the message originated from. This is NOT the "reply to" field, but the ones that include the IP address of where the message originated from.

If you are not sure, always forward the message to

spoof@ebay.com

they will tell you if the message is authentic or not within 24 hours.

There are also a lot of similar fake messages sent to PayPal account holders. You should forward them to

spoof@paypal.com

if you are not sure whether the message you got is legit or not.

These 2 sites NEVER e-mail people asking for their private info, so more likely than not it's so jerkoff that's trying to ripoff people who are too trusting.

Without looking at the mail header I cannot be 100% sure, but I'll bet 99.999% it's fake.

If you can decipher mail header, turn your mail client to view the message's full header and see where the message originated from. This is NOT the "reply to" field, but the ones that include the IP address of where the message originated from.

If you are not sure, always forward the message to

spoof@ebay.com

they will tell you if the message is authentic or not within 24 hours.

There are also a lot of similar fake messages sent to PayPal account holders. You should forward them to

spoof@paypal.com

if you are not sure whether the message you got is legit or not.

These 2 sites NEVER e-mail people asking for their private info, so more likely than not it's so jerkoff that's trying to ripoff people who are too trusting.

Heres what the header say:

Return-Path: <aw-confirm@ebay.com>

Received: from ordenador-001 ([80.38.0.53])

by eagle (EarthLink SMTP Server) with SMTP id 1blMAb6503NZFji0

for <my e-mail>; Thu, 6 May 2004 10:22:46 -0700 (PDT)

To: "Buyer macrossskullone()( 34)" <my e-mail>

Subject: TKO NOTICE:Update Registration Information

Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 18:22:23 +0200

Reply-To: "aw-confirm@ebay.com" <aw-confirm@ebay.com>

Message-ID: <02145135.20040507182223@ebay.com>

MIME-Version: 1.0

X-Priority: 3 (Normal)

Importance: Normal

Organization: eBay INC.

X-Mailer: EM: 4.52.0.790

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----_PartID_178086786233348"

X-ELNK-AV: 0

That doesn't look like the complete mail header, but I'll point out which of the following can be forged:

Return-Path: <aw-confirm@ebay.com> this can easily be forged by the sender

Received: from ordenador-001 ([80.38.0.53])

for <my e-mail>; Thu, 6 May 2004 10:22:46 -0700 (PDT) by eagle (EarthLink SMTP Server) with SMTP id 1blMAb6503NZFji0 this is your ISP's mail server's stamp IDing where it received the message from (ordenador-001, whose IP address is 80.38.0.53 - look it up here reveals it is a server located in Holland. Note however that this could have been a relay server and the message could have originated from elsewhere, but your mail header does not contain such info - either the header is incomplete or the sender used stealth software to cover his tracks

From: "aw-confirm@ebay.com" <aw-confirm@ebay.com> this can easily be forged so don't trust it

To: "Buyer macrossskullone()( 34)" <my e-mail>

Subject: TKO NOTICE:Update Registration Information

Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 18:22:23 +0200

Reply-To: "aw-confirm@ebay.com" <aw-confirm@ebay.com> The reply-to field is also easily forged, so never trust it

Message-ID: <02145135.20040507182223@ebay.com>

MIME-Version: 1.0

X-Priority: 3 (Normal)

Importance: Normal

Organization: eBay INC.

X-Mailer: EM: 4.52.0.790

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----_PartID_178086786233348"

X-ELNK-AV: 0

It's a fake.

I got one a month or so ago.

Check out eBay and they have a spoof e-mail section to explain what to do.

I think I forwarded it to a spoof@ebay address or something like it.

Well.Thanks for all your help, with this.I forwarded it to spoofebay, and I'm just going to ignore it.Thanks again.I greatly appreciate all of you guys help.Thank you. :)

Skull- Remember that companies like eBay and PayPal will never, EVER, ask you to "click here" and enter in your password info. If it's a legit request, they'll ask you to go to eBay or PayPal on your very own and log in from there.

It was good for you to think, and ask, if this was a scam. Good eye!

Skull- Remember that companies like eBay and PayPal will never, EVER, ask you to "click here" and enter in your password info. If it's a legit request, they'll ask you to go to eBay or PayPal on your very own and log in from there.

It was good for you to think, and ask, if this was a scam. Good eye!

Thanks for the info drew.What caught my eye was the threating of being suspended from e-bay and not being able to make a new account.I know theres shady dealers out there that get kicked out of e-bay,and yet they managed to make new accounts and return.That and I buy alot from e-bay and have no negs.So it didn't make sense to me.

Yeah, the last one I got contained a bogus story about how my account was used to place numerous "fake bids". A quick check through the mail header revealed the e-mail came from China. I forwarded it to eBay's spoof dept. and the FBI, so if some nerd in Shanghai got busted, you know I did my part. :lol:

Yeah, the last one I got contained a bogus story about how my account was used to place numerous "fake bids". A quick check through the mail header revealed the e-mail came from China. I forwarded it to eBay's spoof dept. and the FBI, so if some nerd in Shanghai got busted, you know I did my part. :lol:

LOL.The only things i really bought that became "invalid" auctions were a dvd-r of Rock & Rule.And I figured it could be because of that.Stupid "fisher's"

I got one of those too. I thought it was a fake.

I almost bought into it as the letter said my account had been suspended due to a recent purchase that may have been illegal. And I had just bought the Berserk manga series on CD, which I thought it was about. But to check, I made a bid and it was fine so I knew the email was a fraud.

I got one of those too. I thought it was a fake.

I almost bought into it as the letter said my account had been suspended due to a recent purchase that may have been illegal. And I had just bought the Berserk manga series on CD, which I thought it was about. But to check, I made a bid and it was fine so I knew the email was a fraud.

LOl.I did that too. I went and bought another tin edition of Battle Royale (quite a steal for under $50.00!! B)) ). And I had no problems.Just have to log into ebay everytime I bid (gotta clear my cookies).

Definitely a fake. Usually you'll end up at some site that's set up to look just like eBay, but it isn't - you can tell by the use of eBay as a subdomain.

What it really is a DB area to harvest people userids and passwords.

I read an interview with a guy who did this and just bragged about how unbelieavably easy it is to steal from dumb people on the internet. I thought of naive folks like my parents, etc... and it really made you want to find this guy and choke the life out of him.