Scale Model Technologies 1/100 Monster

ChristopherB

Hello,

If this has already been poster here in the Model section, please ignore. I did a search and didn't see an update besides the previous thread.

From the website:

SMT 1/100 Monster

"Latest News and Press Releases

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING:

Update for April 2004.

In other news the Destroid Monster kit is a go and will be up for pre-order this weekend."

Destroid MonsterĀ 

1/100 scale resin model kit. Decals are included! Paint and instruction guide included. In co-operation with Karakorum Creation we are pleased to offer this amazing kit! This is the Pre-order Kits will begin shipping in July 2004!

Pattern maker: Karakorum Creation

Produced by: Scale Model Technologies

Decals by: TBA

I'm not sure of the exact date when this update was posted, but the pre-order price is $170.00.

I think the price was previously $150.00, but perhaps the price change is because of the inclusion of decals.

The Monster picture provided at the site will not load for me, so if someone would be willing to post it, that will be great.

Displaying this 1/100 Monster next to my 1/100 VB-6 Koenig Monster will definitely be cool! ;)

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Hell, I'm not so much interested in his computer skills as his business ethics, and casting ability. ;)

Although, it would be nice to see the finished kit, parts layout, instructions, decals and box with boxart hopefully.

I have the 1/72 Bandai Super/Strike Upgrade from Karakorum Creations, and the casting is of decent quality.

Of course, I am sure that the kit is pretty old, and I think it is a recast of another kit, but I'm not sure.

I exchanged e-mails with Karakorum Creations I couple of years ago, and I think it was two brothers running it, but I had no idea they were even still around.

Does anyone else have any insight?

I believe that Karakorum Creations is Gundamhead (or his brother, maybe?) on these forums. I have their 1/15 Mospeada weapons kit. The weapons look spot-on with my sources, but the casting quality isn't the best.

That being said, since SMT is casting the monster, it should come out as a pretty nice model. I've heard nothing but good things about SMT.

Felix

[edit: can't spell so well]

Edited by flyboy

I believe that Karakorum Creations is Gundamhead (or his brother, maybe?) on these forums. I have their 1/15 Mospeada weapons kit. The weapons look spot-on with my sources, but the casting quality isn't the best.

That being said, since SMT is casting the monster, it should come out as a pretty nice model. I've heard nothing but good things about SMT.

Felix

[edit: can't spell so well]

Wow...I didnt know that....I remember seeing that 1/15 Mospeada weaons kit and wished I bought it.

Yup. Me and my brother made up a few kits a few years ago. We figured we needed a name, so we called ourselves Karakorum Creation. I figure SMT just went on ahead and used it again. (Besides, I think it sounds better than made by 'Gundamhead' or 'Joe'.)

The 1/72 variable Valkyrie Super Armor was my own design before Hasagawa did any Macross Valkyries. I did use parts from the 1/72 Super Fighter, but they were all modified to fit the Variables so they could still transform. I scratchbuilt the rest.

There was a company in Japan that made a similar kit around the same time, '3 Guys Hiding in a Cave' was their name or something like that. I forget. But mine was designed totally ignorant of theirs. I might have even been first, but I really don't know.

As for SMT's buisness ethics, he's great, but a little slow. I was a customer before I offered up the Monster for him, and his kits were well cast. I don't have any worries about that.

I can't say for sure how SMT will decide to cast the Monster, but I did sell a couple when I made mine. Mine were solid resin, and weighed a little over 5 pounds. It's insanely heavy for a kit. (It balanced perfect, a testament to the designer.) I really wish I had more info to tell you guys what SMT will do, but I honestly don't know until he does it. I don't know if SMT will cast it solid. The feet and legs should be solid at least.

I haven't been asked for any pictures by SMT of mine, but here's a link to the pictures of the kits I did sell before SMT got the masters.

The Monster birth and Karakorum stuff is here, (the first 'parts shot' is the prototype parts to help make the final master for the Monster, the parts shot at the bottom was one of the kits I sold.)

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/zaku2ace/...u2ace/my_photos

The Monster I made for myself is here, and gives you a idea of size.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/zaku2ace/...u2ace/my_photos

I really hope SMT will include the 'historical' sheet along with the decals. I think I did pretty well on that research, and it fits nicely within the canon. I gave 5 noseart options, including 'Anxious Angel' and 'My Baby', which are considered canon and can be found in the Macross Model Book. 'Maiden Macross' was my own nose art, 'Quamzin's Worry' was a nod to my brother, while the last was a nod to Shawn (Owner) and Max (the moderator) of Macross World. It was 'TUNAHEAD' named from the roasting Tuna head that used to hang on the top of the pages here, and operated in Alaska. (Some old members may get the references)

The instructions were hand drawn and written, so I figure I'll be fielding questions when SMT delivers them. However, if you study them, you really ought to be able to figure things out. I tried to keep the kit designed for beginers new to resin, and left options for advanced guys looking to do more with it.

Edited by Gundamhead

Gundamhead,

Thanks for the information!

So, it was either you, or your brother that I e-mailed quite a while back. ;)

Yeah, your references to the tuna and Alaska bring back some good memories.

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

I talked to Colin and he told me he has had lots of problems getting the picture uploaded. I'm not a web-tech guy, but that seems like a pretty basic thing.

I've actually pre-ordered mine. I can't wait.

Where? I can't find the news blurb or any place to pre-order it. :unsure:

Hello,

Here is a reply to an e-mail inquiry I sent regarding availability, and about what the kit will include:

Hey Christopher. Actually the web image is having problems it won't complete

the link (though we are workign to fix it - it just keeps coming up broken).

As to missing the kit, not to worry it will be avaliable for some time (well

into Dec 2004). It will include box artwork, full color decals and such.

I can provide more info at a later date as we finalize designs.

Sincerely, Colin Omilusik

Scale Model Technologies

www.smt.theshoppe.com

Sounds like good news to me! ;)

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

• 2 months later...

I'm not pre-ordering anything until we can see some pics of this bad boy. I know I really want to buy one, where are the pics????

Soon, I hope.

Brad

Wow! That's a monster I must have! I'm not much of a modeller, but I'm a Monster sucker.

By the way: I just remembered this old kit I saw at a Hobby Japan Extra from summer 1998. There was a lot of Macross models on that issue, including the Macross plus transforming kits from SHE. But I've never could identify these kits. Does anyone knows who made these and if there are still available? They all look 1/100, tho' I'm not sure. Thanks in advance

post-3-1090271713_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

Wow! That's a monster I must have! I'm not much of a modeller, but I'm a Monster sucker.

By the way: I just remembered this old kit I saw at a Hobby Japan Extra from summer 1998. There was a lot of Macross models on that issue, including the Macross plus transforming kits from SHE. But I've never could identify these kits. Does anyone knows who made these and if there are still available? They all look 1/100, tho' I'm not sure. Thanks in advance

I think they are all 1/144 scale Yellow Sub. kits. There should be a key next to the photograph which lists the model name and maker.

Dear lord, look at the size of the gunpods being held by the VF-1J Hikaru and the VF-1S Roy Strike. :o

Way out of scale.

There are some nice looking items in the picture though. ;)

Those are all 1/144 and the Monster is the 1/144 YS.