RIP NeoGeo

Final NeoGeo games scheduled for July release

Final NeoGeo game to be released in July

Samurai Spirits Zero Special will be the final game for the venerable arcade format.

TOKYO—According to retailers in Japan, SNKNeoGeo will release its final two home cartridge games for the NeoGeo in the upcoming months. The King of Fighters 2003 will be released on May 14, followed by Samurai Spirits Zero Special on July 15. Both cartridges will be retailed at 41,790 yen ($385), and will be produced only in a limited run, so retailers recommend customers pre-order the games.

The King Of Fighters 2003 has been operating in arcades since last December. The game featured a new tag-team system, and a new storyline featuring a main character that fights by using green flames. Samurai Spirits Zero Special is based on Samurai Spirits Zero with a number of minor adjustments, and the addition of historical bosses as playable characters. Samurai Spirits Zero Special is scheduled to hit arcades in Japan on April 22.

After Samurai Spirits Zero Special, SNK NeoGeo will release its arcade games on Sammy’s Atomiswave platform. Just as SNK NeoGeo released home cartridges a few months after their launch in arcades, games released on the Atomiswave will be ported to home consoles after a similar delay.

By Hirohiko Niizumi -- GameSpot

POSTED: 04/19/04 06:34PM PST

Edited by Jolly Rogers

this is a sad day :( i have a neo geo here at my house , I knew they were going to be making games for sammy's system i did not think that they were going stop with the neo geo however, i guess the age just caught up with it, awesome system way ahead of its time, it is a shame I never got my Magician Lord sequel :( maybe on the next system (but it had better not be 3-D).

Chris

i heard some very realalistic rumors of a metal slug 3-d as well as another samurai spirits 3-d, i hope there not going to go down this path , I know there is a King of Fighters 3-d coming out. one of the reasons I loved the neo is because it stood in 2-d and gave us some classic style retro 2-d games to the next level. hopfully we will get some 2-d upgraded versions of metal slug,blazing star and samurai spirits.

keep your fingers crossed :)

chris

Bound to happen, yet sad. There's still a good library of games left behind.. enough to play for many years to come. As for Atomiswave, I'd like to think SNKP is not dumb enough to forget about their 2D fans completely at least... I hope. :unsure:

ani_ngbios.gif

RIP 1990-2004

Edited by StealthLurker

Seriously though.

24 years of games. Sure the last 10 have been really slow but that will hold a record for all time.

I think its great that they are moving to another platform. The Neo will never be forgotten with classic gamers.

Now give me a high res Metal Slug!

Talk about a system with some staying power! The Neo-Geo was actually my second to last system to aquire (I bought it about a month before I got my PS2) and I actually play it more!

Neo-Geo has hung in there far longer than any other gaming system has, with very few modifications to the actual system itself.

Although cart and system prices are damn near astronomical, many would argue the price is well worth it. Get one of these while you still can, they're worth every penny!

Sorry guys. I can't mourn the system. I always thought it was far too overpriced to begin with. I do acknowledge the staying power it has had over the years, however.

Although, I don't do many console games anymore. The bats upside the head for the PS2 kinda cemented that for me.

Seriously though.

24 years of games. Sure the last 10 have been really slow but that will hold a record for all time.

2004 - 1990 = 24?

Me am Bizzarro. 2004 - 1990 = 24! :lol: In reality, SNK was around as a developer/publisher looong before the Neo Geo hardware was ever devised. Their earliest title I'm aware of was Ozma Wars, which came out in 1979. This is probably what MilkManX was alluding to.

The Neo Geo was pretty long-lived, though I believe that SNK themselves were sold/bought out a couple of years ago. 14 years in the arcades is nothing to sneeze at, at any rate. There are still many great Neo Geo titles I will continue to play for some time to come, the original Samurai Showdown/Samurai Spirits and Neo Turf Masters are for example a couple of my absolute favorite games ever.

actually there were 2, 3-D Samurai Spirits, the second one was called Warriors Rage, alittle bit better then the first but still not that great, both were released on theNeo Geo Hyper 64 Arcade board , which is not the same as the standard Neo Geo MVS board that plays Metal Slug and King Of Fighters

Chris