Kawamori's "Air Cavalry Chronicals" mecha

Phyrox

Like the title says:

Is there any chance that we'll see further development of any of these? I know at least one was used for the VB-3, and I think a few others might have been revived...but is that it? I imagine so, but it's a shame.

For those who are unfamiliar with the name:

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/macross/aircavalry/index.htm

I have always loved the AF-49/VA-X-3 I think it is the best variable aircraft kawamori has done (aesthetically speaking only, I don't know how well thought out it is). Seriously, I love the unconventional look.

(it's a shame the only ones to have been revived are the ugliest of the bunch)

edit: for a curious lack of question marks and good grammer

Edited by Phyrox

From my limited understanding it was a planned Kawamori project, which never took off. I have heard that it sort of evolved into Escaflowne (hence the presence of swords carried by some of the mecha).

As to what the idea for this project was to be, I do not know. All I know is I like some of the designs.

I've always been of the opinion that the Seiran-99 was extensively redesigned to become the Sv-51. Their fighter modes are similar (different wings and different placement of the canards) and thier batroid modes are strikingly so.

This was the show that eventually evolved into Escaflowne, obviously taking a different direction with the Guymelefs used there.

The Fz-109 made it's way into M7 (slightly modified), the A-9B became the Macross's VA-3 Invader, the III-c became the VF-9 Cutlass, the AF-49 became the FBz-99G in M7 after lots of modification to the design. It's likely he may draw some inspiration from the others later as well, though he at took the best of the bunch and put them to good use already.

Edited by Anubis

Some of them are in the design works. The Serian 99K is located at the very front of the book, complete with all it's armor variants B))

THere are more in there in the color works. Others can be found in the developmental lineart of M7 and then again in the very back of the interview in really tiny lineart format.

IMO, I would rather have seen Air Calvarly Chronicals finished than Escaflowne.

I've always been of the opinion that the Seiran-99 was extensively redesigned to become the Sv-51.

I think the Battroid of the SV-51 comes from the old Elgerzorene.

What's surprising is that there is no connection between the design of the fighter and of the battroid :)

FV

I found and printed a Full Armor Variant of the Seiran-99 once- very rounded and bulky, and colored green.

Unfortunately I lost the link and the file. on the image, it has a "37" where the page number would be...

Has anyone else seen this image?

If so, know where it is?

I'm sure glad this project was made into Escaflowne and not Macross. The look and design of the mecha are so different that this Air Cavalry could have easily been another transforming robot show altogether. Some of the designs are nice though.

So THAT's where those designs are from. I've been scratching my head trying to figure that out ever since I got my copy of the SK Macross Design Works.

Neat mecha, but I don't really think they're Macross. It would have been great to see them animated, though.

maybe they aren't Macross per-say, but it's neat to see how some of his post-1990 designs were first conceptualized. I would love to see SOME of these (or the "Advanced Valkyrie" designs actualized into Macross Canon...

They did. The III-C Baron Rouge is also known as the VF-X-10 (From Advanced Valkyrie) and the VF-9.

The AF-49 Silver Axe appeared in Macross as the VA-X-3. Unfortunately according to the Compendium the prototype dissapeared with it's creator and only one part and a number of photographs exist. A shame, the Silver Axe is a very cool design.

The VF/A-14 also has it's roots in the ZaiBach Empire.

Actually I would love to see this and Advanced Valkyrie made into real series. The ADV Valk series would be test pilots and prototype flight units, but they're cool enough to warrant their own series (Heck, the VF-3000 is more than worth it!)

One request if anything: Transformation notes for these fighters

Edited by Boxer

I have a request.

I can't read Japanese, so anyone who can who has the Design works might be able to help me. MAHQ does not list the nationalities/names of some of the designs in the book. One example is the one on pg6. underneath the Silver Axe. It looks like the SeiRan-99K but it's insignia is different.

Can anyone identify the nationality or designation?

Plus can anyone tell me anything about the background story? I don't know how much Kawamori went on this before he changed it into Escaflowne...

Edited by Boxer

I can't read Japanese, so anyone who can who has the Design works might be able to help me. MAHQ does not list the nationalities/names of some of the designs in the book. One example is the one on pg6. underneath the Silver Axe. It looks like the SeiRan-99K but it's insignia is different.

As far I can tell, the designs aren't clearly sorted. The Fz-109A has the Fighter of Me-175 Battroid, and I don't know if the Me-175 Fighter was really switched with the Fz-109A.

Mahq did its best, the book itself made a mistake.

Plus can anyone tell me anything about the background story? I don't know how much Kawamori went on this before he changed it into Escaflowne...

I don't think he told it, either. In the same Escaflowne as it is some details may have been cut from the 39 episode version.

Anyway, my guess is he didn't actually changed that much the overall story, only the mecha. After all there were always Zaibach, Asturia and Fanelia.

Other things falls more under Escaflowne's development than Air Chronicles'. Hitomi was added later in the story, and so on.

FV