Legend of the 1/55.....historic events....

Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

I to would love it if Bandai would produce more 1/55's. However, I think that they should leave at least one of the DYRL 1/55's out of their plans so that collectors have something that's special and rare. I really think that they should only release new variants as opposed to 3 more reissues.

Spoken like a man who has the 3 original issue 1/55's. Screw that logic. Collectors who have the originals would just have to deal with the value of those reissues dropping - they're overinflated price-wise anyway. The originals will always be worth more, just maybe not as much as they used to get, anyway.

I think Bandai should re-release the remaining 3 1/55 valks before doing anything else. There are enough differences between the reissues and the originals as to not need anything like a new color, etc.

Why would Bandai care what collectors of the originals feel about reissues? It's not like collectors pay Bandai $1000 for a mint Elintseeker... Bandai hasn't seen a dime from those toys since DYRL came out.

I seem to remember that Bandai let thier Macross liscense expire so I wouldn't hold my breath on anymore reissues. 

And as far as that goes - I've heard that rumor about 500 times stated as fact - yet no one can point to a single piece of proof.

A bit of logic would make that seem incredibly unlikely... licenses expire when they aren't used. They waited over 10 years between the 90 Super valk and the first of the reissues and the license didn't expire... yet supposedly the license expired a month after they reissued Max and Millia? Very doubtful.

Then you get into the logic of such a decision... why wait 20 years, then get rid of a license? Bandai would never let a classic toy license like the 1/55 VF-1 lapse. They may ignore it for decades at a time, but they aren't in the business of throwing away classic toy designs and licenses. Hell, we all know they still have the Macross 7 license - as Graham has mentioned before (in explanation as to why no Yamato M7 valks)... you folks honestly believe Bandai would keep the M7 license, but let the 1/55 license expire? I don't think so.

Either way, the 1/55 is still my favorite Macross toy and I only wish Bandai would do more with it... or at the very least - finish what they started. Even if they had to charge higher prices and make smaller runs of each toy... I'd happily buy a reissue Ostrich, Elint, and GBP.

Edited by Blaine23

Bandai owns the molds but didn't renew the license to produce them, boss. Just like Hasegawa owns their 1/72 scale molds to the Valkyrie fighters but didn't renew it. They may still renew it but as of now they they are not licenced to produce any more. (IIRC)

bandais big enough to renew the license whenn they feel the need. I doubt they would have to work for it. I too would love it if the remaining DYRL valks would be reissued. The elintseeker is to me in its definiteive form in 1/55 scale. NOthing like a big chunky monkey thats durable and has a AWAcs like thing on top of it. such awssome ness. SO hardcore it came with its own GUNPOD even if kawamori designed it to be weaponless.

Now the question is. Were the molds used on that takatoku ones that were designed before folding or all bandai?

hmm SOMEONES gotta have the lowdown and book or magazine scans form the 80s to give us more history and shed light on this stuff!

Dude, mass amounts of hard facts just aren't available.What do you want? A friggin Takatoku biography???.. if you really wanted the skinny on the situation, you'd probably have to talk to someone who worked on the Takatoku project.

I'm with Blaine.... I've heard it said that Bandai let their contract drop, but anytime someone asks, people say they heard it from a "friend of a friend" or some such BS. Show me, IN PRINT where Bandai has let it go (and if the word "rumor" or "Macrossworld" is in the document, then it's far from official)

That being said, I doubt Bandai will make any more. They for some reason saw fit to discontinue their re-issue line when they still had plenty of money-making valks left to reproduce. It's time to embrace the horror: the 1/55 is past it's (production) time. The world has moved on to bigger (or smaller) and badder things. It's over and no amount of whiny fanboyism will bring it back. B)) I love the 1/55s as much as the next guy, but it's time to MOVE ON...

basically what i want is like a history and the stuff that we dont know. IM sure someone out there knows this stuff from japaense magazines and such. Kind of like how graham used to give us the info from yamato only this one from old takatopku sources who can reveal everything now due to takatoku folding back in the day., If anything a good discussion. graham was able to tell us about the changes to th2e 1/60 protoypes, VF11B and YF19 and 21 before release and the reasons why some things happened. IM sure someone back in the day did the same for takatoku fans in japanese magazines. IM sure mass amounts ARE available but just hard to find in this ay and age of yamato.

THey only had 3 valks left to reproduce so im not sure if that constitutes "many:".(not counting skull1 pack in with GPS1)

If mazinger can be revered so much to have several reissues over the years more than once and made into iddy biddy to giant ass to midle size SOC form, then I think the 1/55 can too!

Just a matter of time. Not as earthbreaking as mazinger but hey its something in history. And its siomething we all enjoy evben in this day and age of high detail yamatos. Fanboyism brought the chogokin line to the frontline when far superior SOC mazingers existed, so fanboyism can do the same for macross.(yea i know but watch vbandai reissue stuff when noone notices lke they did a coupleyears ago).

strike valk anyone?

I to would love it if Bandai would produce more 1/55's. However, I think that they should leave at least one of the DYRL 1/55's out of their plans so that collectors have something that's special and rare. I really think that they should only release new variants as opposed to 3 more reissues.
Spoken like a man who has the 3 original issue 1/55's

And well spoken at that. I'm sorry if a great many of you disagree with my logic but I had to save and brown bag my lunches to work for almost a year before I had enough to complete the Macross holy four. I'm sure many others had to go through just as much blood and sweat to complete their sets. Valkfan, I'm with you, if all of the valks were reissued then all we have left is "special packaging", it kinda takes all the fun outta collecting. While, yes, the prices are a bit extravegant it becomes a game of "how badly do you want it", if you don't want it that bad then you don't pay, if you do then you scrounge but in the end it's worth it. Not so if someone just got one that looks just like yours only about 20 years newer...then there's the jackasses that'll attempt to pass of a newer model for an older one and dupe an unsuspecting customer. I could go on all day but in the end I will say that if Bandai were to reissue the holy four it really cuts the legs of of the rest of us who went through hell to get the originals...unless they did something drastically different with them.

***To All: I apologize if I veered too far off topic (mainly I apologize to Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0 for this IS his topic about the history of...) if there any replies to what I wrote then please pm me, unless others feel them welcome here. Once again I apologize***

Spoken like a man who has the 3 original issue 1/55's

And well spoken at that. I'm sorry if a great many of you disagree with my logic but I had to save and brown bag my lunches to work for almost a year before I had enough to complete the Macross holy four. I'm sure many others had to go through just as much blood and sweat to complete their sets. Valkfan, I'm with you, if all of the valks were reissued then all we have left is "special packaging", it kinda takes all the fun outta collecting. While, yes, the prices are a bit extravegant it becomes a game of "how badly do you want it", if you don't want it that bad then you don't pay, if you do then you scrounge but in the end it's worth it. Not so if someone just got one that looks just like yours only about 20 years newer...then there's the jackasses that'll attempt to pass of a newer model for an older one and dupe an unsuspecting customer. I could go on all day but in the end I will say that if Bandai were to reissue the holy four it really cuts the legs of of the rest of us who went through hell to get the originals...unless they did something drastically different with them.

***To All: I apologize if I veered too far off topic (mainly I apologize to Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0 for this IS his topic about the history of...) if there any replies to what I wrote then please pm me, unless others feel them welcome here. Once again I apologize***

Sorry about the brown-bagging and all... but seeing a toy appreciate in value is secondary to buying something you want, regardless of it's market value. IE - if Bandai rereleases these toys - it really shouldn't "take all the fun out of collecting."

It just deflates an overinflated trade value amongst fans.

I'm sorry you feel that way about "having your legs cut from under you", but a reissue is fair and really shouldn't affect how much you enjoy your original toys. No offense to you - but I don't see you crying any tears for those who collected the original Takatoku VF-1J, M&M, Super, etc... then saw reissues half their inflated value on eBay. Why should you collection be more protected than anyone else's?

It's a short-sided argument you guys have - I see your point, but you have to admit it's a bit selfish. I don't begrudge others toys that I paid alot for... if they can get them cheaper... then good for them. If somebody buys the 1/48 VF-1S for $20, I say good for them, even though I paid $125.

If I was buying investments, it sure wouldn't be toys, it'd be land and stocks.

As for this, my little friend EXO-

Bandai owns the molds but didn't renew the license to produce them, boss. Just like Hasegawa owns their 1/72 scale molds to the Valkyrie fighters but didn't renew it. They may still renew it but as of now they they are not licenced to produce any more. (IIRC)

It sounds like it makes sense... but it really doesn't. I really think one single press release or informed source is in order before I believe internet "word" about licensing. (CUE HARMONY GOLD JOKE HERE) :p

Seriously... I've never seen any proof whatsoever for this statement... to be honest, the main reason I doubt it is because we never, ever know what the hell is going on with Bandai. We never knew what was coming out next until they released pictures... yet somehow we all know now the status of their licensing? I doubt it.

I'm sorry you feel that way about "having your legs cut from under you", but a reissue is fair and really shouldn't affect how much you enjoy your original toys. No offense to you - but I don't see you crying any tears for those who collected the original Takatoku VF-1J, M&M, Super, etc... then saw reissues half their inflated value on eBay. Why should you collection be more protected than anyone else's?

Aww it's all good :lol: . To set the record straight I did however get a bit miffed about the other reissues. I would'nt be as selfish to seek sanctuary for only my own collection, that's just childish, I just didn't want to cry over what's already been done. It's not just about value it's about being able to put yours in a room FULL of that which is new and being able to tell it from the rest. These are works of art, a question; how would you feel if you owned a Lassen or Da Vincci only to find out everyone else on your block had copies of the exact same one. You'd still enjoy it, cherish it, but it would be a little harder to do so because although YOURS is an original, it becomes somewhat watered down. Don't get me wrong, I completely understand where you're coming from with the pricing as I was able to get my last taka for a considerably cheaper price, I just lament for those who spent beaucoup bucks only to find that they should've waited... :blink:

Aww it's all good :lol: . To set the record straight I did however get a bit miffed about the other reissues. I would'nt be as selfish to seek sanctuary for only my own collection, that's just childish, I just didn't want to cry over what's already been done. It's not just about value it's about being able to put yours in a room FULL of that which is new and being able to tell it from the rest. These are works of art, a question; how would you feel if you owned a Lassen or Da Vincci only to find out everyone else on your block had copies of the exact same one. You'd still enjoy it, cherish it, but it would be a little harder to do so because although YOURS is an original, it becomes somewhat watered down. Don't get me wrong, I completely understand where you're coming from with the pricing as I was able to get my last taka for a considerably cheaper price, I just lament for those who spent beaucoup bucks only to find that they should've waited... :blink:

Heh... to be fair... Da Vinci's art has been reproduced about a billion times. I used to have Van Gogh's Sunflowers as a poster in my dorm room... I doubt the museum that owned the original minded. :p

Like I said, I see where you're coming from - even if I disagree. Heck, from the looks of things, your collection's value is relatively safe considering Bandai's lack of Macross releases lately. ;)

I only wish I had those toys so I could be on your side!

me 2! also the HISTORY behind them!

Like do we know if HCM fast packs were planned? How about a high detail 1.55? See that kind of stuff is unanswered. Graham do you or your macross buddies in asia know any of this stuff?

sofar this is what i got from the scans here and articles at toyboxdx

1982?-First prototypes made. different nose sculpts, different heads(superior head on S model in later ads), less clear canopy but looks to be openable, tailfins loook different, overall looks to have short nose. wings, arms, legs, feet, hands and head lasers are ALL differnet and the toy has rather big wings. certainly a lot more goofy looking than final product. Canopy has lines painted white. swing bars painted too. Overall decent but the final is DRASTICALLY different for the better.

1982-3-first release. Product is VERY differnet from prototype with almost every part of sculpt changed. Less obvous airbrake and more accurate proportions and overall aesthetic. ZGone is the goofy look, and in is the realisti(for eaely 80s) aesthetic. nose is bigger and in PROPORTION. Overall the design changes in less than one year consititute not only bigger changes, but WAY better looks than the MPC line more than 20 yrs later by toynami.

1984-sometime before this bandai buys the molds from rival takatoku who unfortunately bcame bankrupt. Changes are the addition of clip on heatshields, stoppes for wing sweep, and screw in screw out heatshield with strike valkyrie. Swappable booster pods are introduced on thestrike and clip on missles. boxes change from normal window to window with front flap with big arse paintings.

sometime after(1986)? Bandai makes the HCM. A more detailed valkyrie with more features. Of note are teh ability to mount missles, sweep wings back in battroid with missles STILL attached~(no toy afterwards has been able to do this...yet), slightly better articulation, balljoints on hips(not sure?), a somewhat more acfdurate and less accurate sculpt. BAclkpak placed to high, etcetc. however the battroid sculpt looks nice and the head does as well. PIlots in cockpit but nose is a little to blunt and big. At that time HCM was the most accurate toy valk until 1/60 yamato almos 2 decades later. Also has tailhooks.

so folks im sure someone out there knows more. Like what else was planned nad background history. even though i love 1/55, id still love getting reissue HCMS( i know boat accidednt bla bla)

Spoken like a man who has the 3 original issue 1/55's.  Screw that logic.  Collectors who have the originals would just have to deal with the value of those reissues dropping - they're overinflated price-wise anyway.  The originals will always be worth more, just maybe not as much as they used to get, anyway.

Hey Blaine23 you're right, I do own the 3 original issues. However, just in case you're assuming that I'm one of those collectors who is looking to make some profit off of my hobby, you're wrong. I am the original owner of these items which I purchased in 1985 with money I made from mowing lawns. They were US $40 each when they were purchased from Mikado's in Japantown, San Francisco. I paid $120 for all 3 and could have sold them a few years ago for at least $3000 but didn't. I don't collect or hoard Valkyries for profit. This is an actual hobby for me, not a business venture. As for the prices, those are set by fans like you and I. I could care less if they were only worth $40 still. The point is that every great collection has something that's rare. For example, I don't own a Low Viz. They are rare and therefore worth more. This was determined by the collectors. I think that it took some time before the DYRL 1/55's went up in value, unlike the Low Viz. There is no way that I'd pay over $200 for an item that never existed in the television series or the movie and was produced as recently as last year. I therefore will probably never own one. To those who have them I say, good for you. That is a rare item that makes the collecting even more fun. I want one but I hope they don't reissue the LW VF-1A. I know many collectors have sacrificed something to be able to afford them. Bmaximum, I feel your pain.

I think Bandai should re-release the remaining 3 1/55 valks before doing anything else.  There are enough differences between the reissues and the originals as to not need anything like a new color, etc.

I am with Kanata67 on this one. If they do reissue them, maybe they could color them differently, hopefully not "hot pink" :D but something Macross like.

Why would Bandai care what collectors of the originals feel about reissues?  It's not like collectors pay Bandai $1000 for a mint Elintseeker... Bandai hasn't seen a dime from those toys since DYRL came out.

Bandai doesn't care. I was just suggesting that they show a little respect to the people that have made them money by buying these vintage items originally. Also, this would help to avoid slapping anyone (insert Bmaximum's name here) who worked hard to get them, in the face. Once again, just a suggestion. Kind of like those who want a Low Viz VF-1J or VF-1S. I agree with them. Yamato could mass produce these so that many collectors can get them instead at a fairly reasonable price.

Either way, the 1/55 is still my favorite Macross toy and I only wish Bandai would do more with it... or at the very least - finish what they started.  Even if they had to charge higher prices and make smaller runs of each toy... I'd happily buy a reissue Ostrich, Elint, and GBP.

I agree with you on this one. For me, the 1/55 will always be the best. Perfect transformation started here! I really think that they could make the 8 new variants that I already named. This would be so easy for Bandai to do. Of the 8 that were never issued, 6 of them are VF-1A's and 1 is a VF-1S. These molds already exist. The only molds that they'd need to make is one for the Vf-1D head and heat shield. I say make these limited runs and charge higher prices.

The only thing that I find frustrating is that a few years ago it seemed like everyone was talking about Bandai's lack of interest in reproducing the 1/55 line. Then once they did this, many bad mouthed Bandai and the 1/55 design. It's almost as if these critics hold animosity toward the 1/55 because they didn't have them and couldn't afford them. To these people I say, hail the new guy in town all you want, but it will NEVER have the same impact on the toy industry that the 1/55 had. Long live the 1/55!!!

Rick

I say screw the collectors. Toys are meant to be enjoyed not collected. I think if Bandai was going to make any of the originals limited they should have done it with the Hikaru 1A. Everyone should have a chance to own Strikes, Elintseekers, and Ostriches.

yea to me its all about bandais bad timing. IF the reissues came out before the yamato 1/60 line was even released, they would have done MUCH better. Specifically the late 90s into the year 2000. Thats when valk fdrought was runnintg wild, macrossworld was relatively new nad bursting with a lot of talented chunky monkey customizers. LOTS of us drooled over a joons on ebvay and at valk scrambles very nice galleries on the 1./55s. The 1/60 line efectively killed a lot of interest but to me, had it not come out at that time, the bandais would be much more regvered. I dont se the need for any flak, the damn thing was made in 1982 and STILL looks better than some macross toys now! Above all being that it was the pioneer it did many things RIGHT. MPC what?

and wow dude. I wish mikado was that cheap when i went. BUying a VF19A excalibur for 120$ is something i NEVER want to do again.

Hey Blaine23 you're right, I do own the 3 original issues. However, just in case you're assuming that I'm one of those collectors who is looking to make some profit off of my hobby, you're wrong. I am the original owner of these items which I purchased in 1985 with money I made from mowing lawns. They were US $40 each when they were purchased from Mikado's in Japantown, San Francisco. I paid $120 for all 3 and could have sold them a few years ago for at least $3000 but didn't.

This just makes me hate you even more. :p J/K... I only wish I'd lived far away from rural Tennessee in the 80's. For many reasons, but this is one of them.

I think Bandai should re-release the remaining 3 1/55 valks before doing anything else.  There are enough differences between the reissues and the originals as to not need anything like a new color, etc.

I am with Kanata67 on this one. If they do reissue them, maybe they could color them differently, hopefully not "hot pink" :D but something Macross like.

I think the printed decals, removable heatshields, and different packaging is enough for any collector to spot the obvious differences between reissue and original. Anything but Hot Pink. It'd be even cooler if they added more articulation and pilots, but I'm stunned they updated the originals as much as they did.

Like I said originally... it's optimistic at best to hope that Bandai will even continue the rereleases at some point, much less to hope that they don't offend collectors of the original.

As someone who had no access to such toys until a few years ago - of course, I want the toys to be released at a decent price to those who want them. The originals will always be collector's items.

But we can all agree, reissue-buyers and original-collectors, on the fact that we love the chunky monkey - even if Bandai doesn't. ;)

If mazinger can be revered so much to have several reissues over the years more than once and made into iddy biddy to giant ass to midle size SOC form, then I think the 1/55 can too!

Just a matter of time. Not as earthbreaking as mazinger but hey its something in history. And its siomething we all enjoy evben in this day and age of high detail yamatos. Fanboyism brought the chogokin line to the frontline when far superior SOC mazingers existed, so fanboyism can do the same for macross.(yea i know but watch vbandai reissue stuff when noone notices lke they did a coupleyears ago).

Well, I've been around Asia during the time Mazinger, Macross, or SOC line was conceived. I can tell you that Macross dropped the ball. Mazinger was fading when Gundam came about. At that time, big bulky, and difficult to transform diecast robot toys are the king no matter if I know that anime series or not, that's what everybody wanted and the SOC line gained popularity because of it.

Macross dropped the ball after the big hit DYRL + TV series. There was nothing after it and they didn't come out with any anime or product extensions, I believe the Gundam following killed it. Don't forget that the Transformers also came in that time and I was busy collecting that.

Bandai leveraged all their resources at the time on Gundam and that was it, Macross was forgotten for awhile.

hey dude what do you mean by drop the ball? What does that mean?

anyhoo. It now seems that us 1/55 lovers are of a cult following. Our beloved line has been a victim of bad marketing. I think. I think all i can ask for is HCM< reissues, and the final 3 DYRL 1/55 reissues.

but other than that. I mean its still something I will ALWAYS cherish and enjoy. 1/55 is awesome.

hey dude what do you mean by drop the ball? What does that mean?

"Drop the ball" is american sport-based slang... basically it means that you could have scored a goal, but instead didn't do anything with your chance.

I think what he means in terms of Macross is that the show and movie had a great following, but the long gap before a sequel (or possibly Macross II's weak reception) caused fans to turn to Gundam, which was churning out sequels like mad. Or the Transformers, which was becoming big at the time.

It's a sad point, but probably dead on... Macross has never been that great about timing and momentum, in terms of popularity. Only goobers like us have stuck with it faithfully for so long. ;)

One aspect I'd be interested to see explored is how much of an effect the Transformers version - the famous Jetfire - had in helping create a following for the 1/55 in non-Asian territories. I was first astounded and then greatly amused to find out that the Transformer I always wanted actually originated from somewhere else, but I grew up in a time and place where original 1/55s were not easy to find, and I wonder if the 1/55 is as popular as it is because of Jetfire, purely because of the Macross connection, because it was more easily available in the US, because its simply such a classic, or a combination of those factors... (I suspect the last one, but... )

i thinkit was popular on its own aside from jetfire. Jetfire only broadened its lgacy to mainstream america. I think robotech fans who loved macross must have realized that jetfire was based on a macross mold and it led them to the 1.55 maxcross toys...jetfire may have been a gateway toy but i know that the super valk was known to have been sold in europe. 90 reissue that is so maybe othjeres were sold there before?

One aspect I'd be interested to see explored is how much of an effect the Transformers version - the famous Jetfire - had in helping create a following for the 1/55 in non-Asian territories. I was first astounded and then greatly amused to find out that the Transformer I always wanted actually originated from somewhere else, but I grew up in a time and place where original 1/55s were not easy to find, and I wonder if the 1/55 is as popular as it is because of Jetfire, purely because of the Macross connection, because it was more easily available in the US, because its simply such a classic, or a combination of those factors... (I suspect the last one, but... )

For me, it was easily a little bit of both... I knew Robotech way before Transformers ever came out and in my part of the country, the only imports we got were Datsuns in the 1980s. :p

Anyway, I was geek enough to have seen a Takatoku ad in a comic/model magazine, some shop in CA was selling them. Of course, when I was 11, one did not order things from ads in magazine from shops all the way in CA... no matter how much you begged your mom... besides it was 50 whole dollars!

A few years goes by and Robotech went away. By then Transformers was going strong and you could find them in even rural places like Tennessee, thanks to Children's Palace - anyone else ever beg your parents to take them there?

When I first saw Jetfire I knew immediately that it was Roy's VF-1S. No hesitation, no silly paint job was gonna fool me. The design and mechanics just DOMINATED all of the other Transformers I'd seen. I bought one and managed to get ahold of a cousin's Jetfire in a GI Joe trade. Me and a buddy tried to customize it into Skull One, but it looked like a monkey's ass. And that was my last custom, thank heavens.

So, in summary, I was already a big Macross (well, Robotech - but that wasn't my fault :p ) fan before I ever saw Jetfire... but once I had Jetfire in my hands, that's when I fell in love with the 1/55. I still have it, by the way. It was the closest thing most middle americans could get to a Takatoku back then.

I'm glad they made Jetfire - without it, I probably wouldn't have stayed such a fan of a cancelled, badly dubbed version of a great anime.