Space Battleship Yamato Movies DVD Box

Anubis

Right Stuf is releasing a box set of the Space Battleship Yamato Movies (subtitled) on DVD on 4/20. The mention on AnimeNewsNetwork is the first I ever heard of it.

Are these movies compilations of the show similar to the Mobile Suit Gundam Movie Trilogy, or are these in addition to the tv show?

Movie DVD Box Link

Edited by Anubis

The first one is a straight compilation movie (even more so than Gundam, which sprinkled new animation in with the TV footage). All of the others are new stories, although Farewell Yamato [the second movie] was turned into a TV series after the film's release.

I'd stay away from the discs, though. After a crummy experience with the first Yamato disc (in my DVD player, the picture kept breaking down after the layer change int he middle of the movie) I've sworn off Voyager's DVDs.

:) I like my VHS tapes of the subtitled movies. However if Voyager simply did a straight transfer from vidoe tapes to DVD, I would be cautious to buy it before seeing how good or bad they are :huh:. From opinions that I have heard, the quality is not good.

Why are they calling it "Star Blazers?"  Its subbed right?

That's one thing that's wierd. Yeah it's the subitiled version, yet they list it as Star Blazers. If you look at the Cover art on their listings for the older single discs, the covers distintly say "Space Battleship Yamato". I'm guessing it's the distributers fault and Right Stuf just listed it under the title Voyager provided.

I'll wait for now and see if I can find some reviews.

Edited by Anubis

Look up Yamato over at AOD, and you can find reviews for most of the DVD's. They are definately hard subbed VHS dumps, with apparently a major VHS glitch in the 3rd of 4th.....but they're the Yamato movies!

Since there's no sign of an HK R2 ripped set, and since I picked up the HK R2 ripped TV sets, I figure it's a fair enough loss to pick up the R1 box set & get the crappy quality disc's as it's the only way we're going to get them without picking up the R2's. Leiji Matsumoto is worth it.

I prebooked my set a couple weeks ago, can't wait. I just hope the box will have decent art.

Look up Yamato over at AOD, and you can find reviews for most of the DVD's. They are definately hard subbed VHS dumps, with apparently a major VHS glitch in the 3rd of 4th.....but they're the Yamato movies!

Since there's no sign of an HK R2 ripped set, and since I picked up the HK R2 ripped TV sets, I figure it's a fair enough loss to pick up the R1 box set & get the crappy quality disc's as it's the only way we're going to get them without picking up the R2's. Leiji Matsumoto is worth it.

I prebooked my set a couple weeks ago, can't wait. I just hope the box will have decent art.

When you get a copy, could you please provide us with a reveiw?

Wait...so Voyager just did a dump of their VHS versions onto DVD with hard encoded subtitles? I thought they were doing this for the love? Man, my opinion of them is once again severely wavering with this news.

When you get a copy, could you please provide us with a reveiw

Sure, though like I said, check out AOD for already existing reviews on most of the movie disc's.

Wait...so Voyager just did a dump of their VHS versions onto DVD with hard encoded subtitles? I thought they were doing this for the love? Man, my opinion of them is once again severely wavering with this news.

That's why I picked up the HK's of the TV series sets instead of the SB DVD's. There's no reason for the lack in quality....but then it's the only way to get the films on DVD with subtitles.