The roll of each mecha in the Macross universe

APU

I know the Elint is a plane with radar kinda like the E2C Hawkeye but what is the Super Ostrich used for? And what about all the others with the strike, super armor and the one with all the missiles in the arm and legs? Can you explain the various squads and their duties. Thank you for the help

Well the VT-1 Super Ostrich is a space trainer. the Super Valk is basicly an improvement for combat in space, and the Strike is a CAG, or squadron leader option, and SDP-1 is ment for the anti ship role, and the GPB-1 is basicly for ground combat and defence.

Edited by The_Major

Ummm.. the GBP is definitely not designed for ground combat and defense... that's pretty much a destroid job.

In the TV series the GBP was used in space, where it's bulk could easily be manuvered by the foot thrusters and boost packs on its back.

Ummm.. the GBP is definitely not designed for ground combat and defense... that's pretty much a destroid job.

In the TV series the GBP was used in space, where it's bulk could easily be manuvered by the foot thrusters and boost packs on its back.

What about in Mac 0? An armored valk did pretty well in atmosphere...

How so? Roy had the element of surprise when he busted out of nowhere, and then firepower as he loosed every missle he had at Ivanov. After that initial attack, he was pretty much a big fat slow target to fill full of lead. Which Ivanov proceeded to do, IIRC. The armor might have saved his life, but it didn't look to be all that effective to me vs a fast moving target. I guess it was really meant for point defense, but it looked like the extra weight got him clobbered.

Since it was obviously on the VF-0, I guess we can assume that it was designed to be used in atmosphere. Even so, I agree with Blaine and say that the full armor suits like that and the GBP wouldn't really come into their own until you got them in zero gravity.

How so? Roy had the element of surprise when he busted out of nowhere, and then firepower as he loosed every missle he had at Ivanov. After that initial attack, he was pretty much a big fat slow target to fill full of lead. Which Ivanov proceeded to do, IIRC. The armor might have saved his life, but it didn't look to be all that effective to me vs a fast moving target. I guess it was really meant for point defense, but it looked like the extra weight got him clobbered.

Since it was obviously on the VF-0, I guess we can assume that it was designed to be used in atmosphere. Even so, I agree with Blaine and say that the full armor suits like that and the GBP wouldn't really come into their own until you got them in zero gravity.

I never said it could out perform an armorless valk. It did it's job pretty well. It performed pretty much the same as it did in space. It gets discarded after it outlived it usefulness. I can't argue that it would be a lot more effective out in space, but to say that it's not designed for ground combat would be... um... inaccurate... ;):p

the Super Valk is basicly an improvement for combat in space, and the Strike is a CAG, or squadron leader option,

Concerning Super and Strike variants. Both refer to the FAST pack types. Super uses 2 HMMP-02 mini-missile launchers where as Strike uses 1 HMMP-02 missile launcher and 1 Mauler RO-X2A high-powered double-action beam cannon. No where does it say that Strike is a squadron leader option.

Actually it s designed for ground combat. The GBP in GBP-1S most likely is "Ground Battroid Protector" (?) (Alternately "Grenade Box Protector" in Macross Hobby Handbook 1)

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_.../vf1/index.html

Officially the Armored Valkyrie is for ground combat. Read Macross Perfect Memory & This is Animation Special Macross Plus (OVA).

Actually it s designed for ground combat. The GBP in GBP-1S most likely is "Ground Battroid Protector" (?) (Alternately "Grenade Box Protector" in Macross Hobby Handbook 1)

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_.../vf1/index.html

Officially the Armored Valkyrie is for ground combat. Read Macross Perfect Memory & This is Animation Special Macross Plus (OVA).

i guess thats the "official" word, but we only really see the armored battroid used in defensive skirmishes in space- i think they are far more useful in space anyways, with a 360 degree sphere of attack with all those short ranged missiles.

yum :)