Joon's Valkyries

Heavy

*and the smack is layeth down....*

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you tried putting a very light coating of clear fingernail polish on the swivel bars of the tail-fins? It may prevent a "smooth" swivel, but it will at least increase the surface area in friction and perhaps keep them from moving around.

I'll have to give that a try, thanks. Although the Joon's valkyrie I have apart isn't a priority, I will put it back together, some day. Right now, I use it to test paint, panel lining, sealers, etc.

stupid people arguing about differences between products... Buy what you want. Competition is good... look at the options availible today.

back to the topic at hand...

The green joons came in a regular joon's box to my knowledge.

there never was a gundam box.

the first joons ever released was labeled "space gandam" and had yin-yangs on the wings rather than macross kites.

for more info [not including "HG bashing] check out this thread http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...5468&hl=bootleg

as it covers a lot of the various boots... but it still need help to be a verbose listing... so anybody with info or pics of bootlegs check it out and help out.

don't hate ;)

Ummm... can we still say that we like or don't like something without anyone crying? Everybody please remember that if a member thinks a particular toy is crap - he's not making fun of you... but of a toy that he dosn't like.

Back on topic... I have both of the Joons toys that Heavy mentioned -

BTW - the "white one" is a Hikaru and the "red one" is Millia... it's important because if you say you have a "white Joon's" people will think it's the inferior non-canon red, white, and blue version, not the superior gray Hikaru that you have.

Anyway, I have both of the toys... they are good and easily worth around $20 (more if you can get it from some), but since the Bandai reissues came out, the value of Joons valks has dropped drastically. Joons are pretty good (and were definitely the best possible option before the reissues), but they aren't great, by any stretch of the imagination. They are usually loose and the plastic quality is somewhat cheap. Best thing about them is the box, IMHO.

I can't see the value going any further down... and there is a possibility that they may eventually be worth more later. I'd just sit on them (figuratively) and maybe one day you can get more for them. Or give 'em to a kid nephew... so they leave your nicer valks alone. ;)

Oh, and the MPC... wait a minute... the MPC doesn't have a damn thing to do with this conversation. :lol:

To those of you have Joon's valkyries, how do you fix the "backpack" so the tails snap into place, like on the Bandai valkyries?  The tails on mine want to flop around.

-Go to Kid Korrupt's website: http://www.geocities.com/valkcreations/index2.htm

-On the left, you'll see a site map, click on Customization tips

-The seventh topic of the list of tips that come up is one called Joon's 1/55 Bootleg Modification (by Rosario Love). Click on that.

-That should bring you to a very good guide (pictures and everything ;) )for fixing a lot of the inherent problems that come with your Joons.

Enjoy

Not to be harsh, but this is why MW is a bit of a joke on some other sites. Every thread turns into a HG-bash-fest .. and don't say it was the HG supporters who started it, because it was this fella 'jwinges' who first brought em up.

Who is being harsh? Not every thread turns into a HG bashfest. There is one pinned thread for that and the mods are pretty good about keeping them there.

I'm glad you like the MPC VF-1's but you have to admit you are in a minority. Last time I checked, you could pick up many of the MPC's well under cost in stores and online. Their design is far from accurate and Toynami screwed over fans by increasing the 'limited' production number and reducing metal content from advertised. I think they are okay but Bandai and Yamato offer much better products.

I see no reason to buy a Joon's or any bootleg valks unless you are a hardcore collector. I have not heard of anyone being impressed with bootlegs and a lot of stories of people feeling ripped off.

One thing I have noticed about the Joons Vakyrie is that the metal that they used in the joints appears to be very corrosion-friendly, meaning that they build up corrosion like the battery posts on an old car.

I have'nt bothered to learn how to post pictures to the internet or I would show you mine, but my green and red Joons valkyries which I have had on a display shelf for 7 or 8 years, all of the metal joints have turned green and corroded, a tooth-brush scrubbing didn't phase the crud and I am going to have to get a metal polish and buffing wheel to clean them up.

Just thought I would mention that, if you live in a humid area and plan on displaying your valks the Joons seem to require a little more maintenance than the old Bandai tanks :)

As far as collector's items go I guess they are kinda neat to have around, I picked mine up at a comic book collection in the mid 90's after not having seen a valkyrie aside from my old jetfire in about a decade. They are not the highest quality toys out there, they are not painted or configured to be representative of any series that I know of so I too would go for the bandai valks before I went hunting for any Joons valks for the collection.

Not to be harsh, but this is why MW is a bit of a joke on some other sites.  Every thread turns into a HG-bash-fest .. and don't say it was the HG supporters who started it, because it was this fella 'jwinges' who first brought em up.

Who is being harsh? Not every thread turns into a HG bashfest. There is one pinned thread for that and the mods are pretty good about keeping them there.

I'm glad you like the MPC VF-1's but you have to admit you are in a minority. Last time I checked, you could pick up many of the MPC's well under cost in stores and online. Their design is far from accurate and Toynami screwed over fans by increasing the 'limited' production number and reducing metal content from advertised. I think they are okay but Bandai and Yamato offer much better products.

I see no reason to buy a Joon's or any bootleg valks unless you are a hardcore collector. I have not heard of anyone being impressed with bootlegs and a lot of stories of people feeling ripped off.

So all we should buy is Yamato?!! Because thats what you think is best? I will never understand thoughts like this.

One thing I have noticed about the Joons Vakyrie is that the metal that they used in the joints appears to be very corrosion-friendly, meaning that they build up corrosion like the battery posts on an old car. 

I have'nt bothered to learn how to post pictures to the internet or I would show you mine, but my green and red Joons valkyries which I have had on a display shelf for 7 or 8 years, all of the metal joints have turned green and corroded, a tooth-brush scrubbing didn't phase the crud and I am going to have to get a metal polish and buffing wheel to clean them up.

Pine-sol and Easy off oven cleaner are good for cleaning die-cast (sorry, die-cast metal :lol: ) parts. Just make sure you take the Valk apart first. Metal parts last a lot longer soaking in chemicals than plastic does, especially the plastic that Joon's uses.

So all we should buy is Yamato?!! Because thats what you think is best? I will never understand thoughts like this.

Did you even read his post before responding?

......I think they (MPCs) are okay but Bandai and Yamato offer much better products.

Phrases like "I think" and "I see no reason to" means it's just an opinion, take it easy.

Sorry, I didn't mean everyone should buy what one brand. I think each toy has its positives and negatives. I like my Yamato's because they look good in each mode but I don't like their inconsistent qc. I like my Bandai reissues because of their solid feel and retro styling but wish they had more poseability. I don't own any Toynami's because I see much more negatives than positives. My biggest complaint is that they really didn't do anything innovative. If they put them out before Bandai or Yamato made their valks, I would be much less critical and would of bought the whole set. Since I already had reissues to play with and Yamato's that looked good, I saw no reason to spend a lot of money on toy that didn't offer anything new.

In case anyone needs review this:

Section IV: Robotech

Historically Robotech and Macross are connected. However, Robotech is not part of Macross or Macross World. Talk about Robotech will pop up from time to time. Macross World is a place to discuss the Japanese Macross. It is not the Robotech.com forum’s sister site. This is not the place to discuss Robotech. If there is discussion expect to see a more pro Macross stance and even people being critical of Robotech. You will see intelligent comments and stupid ones. If you don’t want see anything negative about Robotech go to Robotech.com. You will see there is a forum here called ‘Robotech and other anime’ all discussions about Robotech and Harmony Gold belong there. This includes discussions about their products. The forums here are for Macross.

As a general rule if something about Robotech is in the news that is of interest all around it will be allowed in a few topics in another forum.

As for ‘bashing’ of Robotech it will happen. We ask that you people actually have something to say. A post that just says, ‘ Robotech sucks’ will likely get deleted. Any comment that is a threat or consider cruel will be moderated.

Please don’t just come here to attack or to defend Robotech. The forums are for the discussion and promotion of Macross. Don’t make attacking or defending Robotech or Harmony Gold as your only reason for being here.

Section V: Arguments and Flames.

Arguments and the Internet go together. The Internet allows you to share ideas that others may not like. It encourages debate. The Internet also allows you distance and the protection to say a lot of things because you know no one can find you. No one wants to see only flame wars. To ban all sensitive topics would a shame.

People will talk about subjects you may not agree with. If you want to debate with people fine. Keep it a debate not a mindless argument. There needs to be a subject. The debate is not about the person your debating with. If you have a past grudge with someone that belongs off the forums. We ask you debate about a topic not the person your arguing against. We do expect to see a little insults to appear between debaters. Attack the person’s argument not the person. The random poster that appears just to insult another poster may find their post deleted.

Insults as general rule (expect for the truly offensive) can be said about an object, company or group. Please don’t insult a specific person. Many of these debates will need a moderator’s full attention to keep it under control. The moderators have seen it all they a good idea of how a debate will turn out. If a moderator is willing they will watch it. If a moderator is unable to they may stop the debate.

Oooh, look what I found, on page 2. . .

Just thought I would mention that, if you live in a humid area and plan on displaying your valks the Joons seem to require a little more maintenance than the old Bandai tanks :)

As far as collector's items go I guess they are kinda neat to have around, I picked mine up at a comic book collection in the mid 90's after not having seen a valkyrie aside from my old jetfire in about a decade. They are not the highest quality toys out there, they are not painted or configured to be representative of any series that I know of so I too would go for the bandai valks before I went hunting for any Joons valks for the collection.

corrosion?!? I have 6 joon's at the moment and metal from a few more. No corrosion on any of them... granted the six are boxed. The parts have definately seen better days but arn't corroded. Did you leave it outside one night in the rain? Younger brother drop it in the toilet and not tell you? Was it a bathtub toy?

seriously... this is the first time I ever heard about something like that on any valk not left outside.