Macross arcade games

13strikevalkyrie13

Does anyone know where to download Macross Plus mame emulator with sound?

thanks

sneakers

The latter MAME emulator will give the game sound. There is only one Macross Plus ROM. The sound just hadn't been emulated until recently.

And I suggest getting MAME32, with has a much nicer windows GUI. The original MAME is just uses the DOS command line. Although it works the same, for those who are less computer inclined, MAME32 can be easier to configure.

Does anyone know where to download Macross Plus mame emulator with sound?

thanks

sneakers

The latter MAME emulator will give the game sound. There is only one Macross Plus ROM. The sound just hadn't been emulated until recently.

And I suggest getting MAME32, with has a much nicer windows GUI. The original MAME is just uses the DOS command line. Although it works the same, for those who are less computer inclined, MAME32 can be easier to configure.

I LOATHE the MAME32 GUIs(as there's now TWO versions of MAME32).

If you need a GUI, grab the Windows command-line MAME and the EmuLoader frontend.

It's a FAR nicer frontend.

If you need a GUI, grab the Windows command-line MAME and the EmuLoader frontend.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out. What do you dislike so much about MAME32? I don't use MAME that much these days, so I haven't put in any effort to find something better.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out. What do you dislike so much about MAME32? I don't use MAME that much these days, so I haven't put in any effort to find something better.

Just a general distates for the look and layout of the interface.

If I'd used it signifigantly more recently than a few years ago, I'd be able to go into detail, but as it is now I've forgotten specifics.

And when I last used it there was one really really garish flaw(that I believe has been fixed, especially now that the MAME team makes a frontend-welded build themselves).

A fuill third of all MAME-supported games were not usable because the GUI didn't believe in them. This included several that I REALLY liked.

Long story short, I dropped back to a command-line version ASAP, and never looked back untill I realized my packrat ways had caught up with me and I couldn't remember what ROM images I had or what they actually were.

That convinved me I needed a GUI, so I set about finding one I could stand.

EmuLoader was what I settled on.

And when I last used it there was one really really garish flaw(that I believe has been fixed, especially now that the MAME team makes a frontend-welded build themselves).

A fuill third of all MAME-supported games were not usable because the GUI didn't believe in them. This included several that I REALLY liked.

I hadn't heard of that problem. I don't have too many ROMs (about 20 I guess), and I haven't had problems. IIRC my version is pretty new though.

I hadn't heard of that problem. I don't have too many ROMs (about 20 I guess), and I haven't had problems. IIRC my version is pretty new though.

Well, they weren't exactly big-name stuff. Lot of smaller titles, like Cinematronics' Warrior.

And given a lot of the MAME32 users were basing their downloads off what the MAME32 GUI said was missing...

The problem seemed to stem from the MAME32 GUI being based off the gamelist.txt file included with MAME, which was rather incomplete at the time. I believe it's been overhauled since then.

I was never too big on the arcade scene... most of the arcade games I played had excellent ports to consoles. The only ones I was interested in, besides Macross, was Robocop, TMNT, and the two Megaman games. I just dl-ed a newer version of MAME, so I'll let you know what I think of it later.

macross.zip is DYRL.

Okay, I tried MAME32 Plus! 0.71 and regular command-line MAME 0.73, both with and without EmuLoader.

I didn't play around too much with regular MAME without EmuLoader, but with EmuLoader I didn't care for it. EmuLoader was slow, and certain things annoyed me, like how I set a game to run in a window, and it was still full screen after I loaded it.

MAME32 Plus! is a lot prettier than regular MAME32, from what I can see. The interface isn't as slick as EmuLoader, but it's faster, and works better. I had no problem configuring it, getting it to work with a Gravis Gamepad Pro, or getting the games to run in a window.

I did run into the problem mentioned, that MAME32 didn't want to play some of my games. I'd let it slide, except one of them was Macross Plus. On the other hand, I couldn't get Macross Plus to run on regular MAME, either. This has led me to the conclusion that the problem isn't MAME or MAME32, but that I might have a bad copy of the rom. Anyone know some places that I can find it? I'll do a search for it in the meantime, but if someone wants to save me some time...

macross.zip is DYRL.

Okay, I tried MAME32 Plus! 0.71 and regular command-line MAME 0.73, both with and without EmuLoader.

I didn't play around too much with regular MAME without EmuLoader, but with EmuLoader I didn't care for it.  EmuLoader was slow, and certain things annoyed me, like how I set a game to run in a window, and it was still full screen after I loaded it.

MAME32 Plus! is a lot prettier than regular MAME32, from what I can see.  The interface isn't as slick as EmuLoader, but it's faster, and works better.  I had no problem configuring it, getting it to work with a Gravis Gamepad Pro,  or getting the games to run in a window.

I did run into the problem mentioned, that MAME32 didn't want to play some of my games.  I'd let it slide, except one of them was Macross Plus.  On the other hand, I couldn't get Macross Plus to run on regular MAME, either.  This has led me to the conclusion that the problem isn't  MAME or MAME32, but that I might have a bad copy of the rom.  Anyone know some places that I can find it?  I'll do a search for it in the meantime, but if someone wants to save me some time...

Oh yeah...

EmuLoader's stubborn refusal to generate custom settings is something I tend to forget, because I usually open notepad and make gamename.ini's if I want 'em.

For windowing the game...

Hold alt and press enter.

REpeat to take it back to fullscreen.

As far as the ROM images go...

Try www.mame.dk (though you have to register to download).

If that's not your cup o' tea...

www.planetemu.net

Those are the 2 sites I use for MAME ROM images(actually, I use Planetemu for darn near everything, but I really like mame.dk's database)

Edited by JB0