Dremel or black and decker rtx?

Lizardstail

I'm planning of buying a rotary tool for my modelling needs but I'm not sure which brand to buy.

I'm choosing between dremel 395 and black and decker rtx. black and decker has higher torque than dremel. while dremel has more rpms than black and decker rtx.

dremel accesories fit in the black and decker rotary tool.

so, right now i'm having difficulty in choosing between the two. it would be helpful if you say your insights about this topic. tnx!!! :)

I own a dremel, and I've only used the 1 and 2 speed setting, mainly just the 1. THe higher speeds (up to 5) are too scary for me :blink: It saves some time with rough work (cutting, drilling, rough sanding etc..) but impossible to use for any fine, detail work. So IMO if you're gonna use it mainly for model work, than rpms and torque isn't really important. If there's a big price difference I would go with the cheaper one, otherwise I would get the dremel cuz of their reputation.

I have a B & D and like Jung I can tell speed is not a factor on your purchase. You'll be drilling some small, insignificant holes on plastic models and the versatility and handling are the most important resons to have one of whichever brand is best on that aspect. I might buy a battery operated that is smaller than a palm and can handle little 1/32 or smaller sized bits, if there's one.

You might also want to buy it for other works you might encounter that are not model related. I had used mine to polish some CDs when scratched ( I wished it didn't have so much torque...)

hi 007-vf1

I have a roto matic I bougt it for 20 bucks at the as seen on tv store. but you can buy it on line on ebay heres the link :)roto matic on ebay. :) It's pretty worth it for the price because I use it for just my model kits. You can by additional drill bits at your local hobby store and mount them your roto matic. I bought a carbon fiber disc and the sucker cuts throught metal. The 20 bucks I spent for it is well worth it because it saved me a lot of money from buying a dremel kit which could cost you over a hundred bucks. an the kits comes with tons of drill bits and its rechargable or you can just have it pluged in the out let and drill away. This thing is great for customizing your model kit. But I wouldn't use it for heavey duty house work. :)

1046309779243_rotomatic1285.jpg

Edited by goldenboy_forever

Besides using the tool for modelling, i'm also planning on using it for computer case modification. So, is torque a necessity in this alpplication? And I live in the Philippines and finding a 395 dremel tool is very hard and black and decker is readily available. But i think dremel has a very good reputation with regards to rotary tool.

btw, 007-vf1, how do you polish scratched cds with the rotary tool? what bit do you use?

I own a lot of power tools for all sorts of construction projects and I can honestly tell you that B&D are crap in terms of quality. I've had a Dremel for years and haven't had any problems with it. I've had problems with every B&D tool I've owned, even their supposed high end tools like Dewalt suck. The motor on my 800 dollar Dewalt chop saw burned out after about 90 days of use.

Personally, I would go for the dremel. I have had my moto-tool for about 12 years now and it still purrs like a kitten. With most rotary tool work like etching, sanding and small scale drilling the speed (RPM) of the bit is doing most of the work and not the torque pressure applied. My dremel has lasted an eterenity with period of heavy use followed by literally years of storage followed by periods of extreme mistreatment and heavy use and it works like a charm to this day.

I also have a Dremel mini-jigsaw that I got from a friend used, he stored it in his damp garage for three years and rusted it to heck. I called Dremel and they replaced the motor under their motor warranty on the product and threw in a free set of blades even though it had been mistreated and had changed owners. Needless to say, they made a lifelong customer out of me by providing quality tools and good customer service.

My Black and Decker cordless powerdrill set is a piece of trash, but then again, I don't know what I expected, I have yet to see a cordless drill that could dream of competeing with a good quality corded drill.

My Black and Decker cordless powerdrill set is a piece of trash, but then again, I don't know what I expected, I have yet to see a cordless drill that could dream of competeing with a good quality corded drill.

Try a RYOBI 18.0 Volt cordless drill with the variable torque clutch, oh man I love mine.