Charity toy auctions

joke-machine

The other day I was really thinking about how I don't do enough charitable work, and that I really needed to do some soon. Well as it so happens, I was also in the process of taking pictures to put up some transformers up on ebay to sell. The lightbulb went off in my head and I decided to do a charity toy auction sale to benefit a local charity. The charity I chose is the Battered Womens Shelter of Summit and Medina Counties. I chose the shelter becuase a dear friend of mine works there, and I have first hand seen the horrible nature of abuse. It shouldn't have to happen to anyone.

Then I started also thinking that maybe I could expand the auctions from just my own transformers and Macross toys that I am going to put up, to include donations from the community to help out.

So here's what I came up with. I am asking for donations of any and all transformers, Macross toys, or any other collectable merchandise. Any item you have and would be willing to donate is fine. I will do all the leg work of listing the auctions and such, and will pay all the listing fees and end of auction fees. 100% of all the profit will go to the Battered Women's Shelter of Summit and Medina Counties. I will not personally keep even one cent.

This is totally voluntary, and any help would be much appreciated. If you are interested in donating anything, please PM me and I will give you the details on where to send it to. I am looking at satarting the auctions in two weeks (February teh 28th).

Sorry joke-machine, you maybe sincere and have the best intentions but if anyone was to take it serious you would have to set it up in a more organized and trackable manner. I hope you understand that asking for collectibles from collectors is like telling a junkie to give up his stash for a good cause. You'd have to ask for something that they don't need that may be of value to someone else.

Good luck.

Well if you guys don't want to trust a fellow member, thats your choice. I understand where you are coming from. There are too many jerks ruining it for the legimate people out there. It is your choice in the end.

But realize that I am not a thief. I am honestly kind of offended that so many of you sem to be attacking my credibility. I've been a member of these forums for almost two years, and thought that I had a good standing here as a respected member.

If it ends up with just me and my toys, so be it. That is what I started out to do, and I will be happy with just that. I just thought maybe the community would like to do something nice for a worthwhile charity.

It's not that we don't trust you.. look there's like only 3 replys so I think it's too soon to come to a conlusion that everyone on this Forum don't trust you. Your credibility is not the problem here. It's the word "charity" and "our toys".

You are asking use to part with our beloved toys for money to give to a charity fund of your chooseing. I'm sure the charity you choose does need the money but that doesn't mean other charitys don't. Have you consider that we might want to donate to other charitys in our own community? Or that we might be doing that already.

And asking for our toys is is a big no-no. It'll be better to ask for money straight up. Some of us are collectors or semi collectors which we keep older toys for that certain feeling of something something. :) each one of them is special so parting with it will be like giving out a part of our memory which you can't get it back with money yet.

And as for this comment:

If it ends up with just me and my toys, so be it. That is what I started out to do, and I will be happy with just that. I just thought maybe the community would like to do something nice for a worthwhile charity.

Is it just me or did you went alittle too far here. This is Charity, giving and not giving is based on our current status, money, family, time, POOR, other charitys etc. We don't have to do nothing if we don't want to. Even if we don't give nothing out it doen't make use bad or non-caring.

By the way, I'm sure most of us here would rather work for free for a day than to part with our Macross toys :)

Hey Joke.

I think its a brillant idea. I may bid but have nothing of real value to donate. I think we've even had some trades or sales to one another in the past. I suggested running it through kevin to interest those who don't know you from the boards. Keep us posted on when the bidding starts.

Well if you guys don't want to trust a fellow member, thats your choice. I understand where you are coming from. There are too many jerks ruining it for the legimate people out there. It is your choice in the end.

But realize that I am not a thief. I am honestly kind of offended that so many of you sem to be attacking my credibility. I've been a member of these forums for almost two years, and thought that I had a good standing here as a respected member.

You know...it doesn't matter how long you've been a member of this board. We've seen people go sour. I've said it before, and I'll say it again and again. Look what happened to RTH? and Mylene? they were long standing members of the forums and prominent ones as well. Haha I think Mylene would think she was the charity considering the crap she pulled and then tried to qualify as being acceptable.

JM, I don't think anyone was calling you a thief. My suggestion was to do a little more footwork to legitimize your project. You are asking us for our trust and I believe there are some people here that would support you now, but think how many more would back you if they felt 100% positive that their act of good will reach the people that need it. As I said before, good luck and hopefully your successful in your venture.

Well if you guys don't want to trust a fellow member, thats your choice.  I understand where you are coming from.  There are too many jerks ruining it for the legimate people out there. It is your choice in the end. 

But realize that I am not a thief. I am honestly kind of offended that so many of you sem to be attacking my credibility.  I've been a member of these forums for almost two years, and thought that I had a good standing here as a respected member. 

If it ends up with just me and my toys, so be it.  That is what I started out to do, and I will be happy with just that.  I just thought maybe the community would like to do something nice for a worthwhile charity.

JM, I don't think anyone was calling you a thief. My suggestion was to do a little more footwork to legitimize your project. You are asking us for our trust and I believe there are some people here that would support you now, but think how many more would back you if they felt 100% positive that their act of good will reach the people that need it. As I said before, good luck and hopefully your successful in your venture.

I concure, items can be sent from peoples own residence instead of one person, also you can get ebay involved for a tax ID, if not, you can write it all of yourself.

Firstoff I would like to apologize if I sounded sour earlier. It was not my intention, and I apologize if I came off that way.

For those who are concerned, here are the steps I am proposing to alleviate any fears of misconduct. (Note I am going to do this regardless of whether I get anydonations or not). I plan to make a website accounting for each and every donation. On this page will also be links to each and every ebay auction (so you can see it is really being sold), and a scan of the check going to the shelter for the total amount (which can easily be verified by simply adding the total amounts of the end of auctions).

Southcross-- The charity tax ID number is 34-1249342 , the charitys full name is The Battered Women's Shelter of Summit and Medina Counties.

F360- If you are interested in sending money, I suggest you send it directly to them at the shelter (not through me). I have the email of the contact person at the shelter you could have if you are interested- PM me for the email if you want it

I really want to emphisize one point above all here. This is all voluntary. I don't want to sound pushy, or for people to think I am being so. Any help would be greatly appreciated, but is not expected. If people do not feel comfortable sending toys, please by all means, do not.

Well if you guys don't want to trust a fellow member, thats your choice.  I understand where you are coming from.  There are too many jerks ruining it for the legimate people out there. It is your choice in the end. 

But realize that I am not a thief. I am honestly kind of offended that so many of you sem to be attacking my credibility.  I've been a member of these forums for almost two years, and thought that I had a good standing here as a respected member. 

If it ends up with just me and my toys, so be it.  That is what I started out to do, and I will be happy with just that.  I just thought maybe the community would like to do something nice for a worthwhile charity.

You know...it doesn't matter how long you've been a member of this board. We've seen people go sour. I've said it before, and I'll say it again and again. Look what happened to RTH? and Mylene? they were long standing members of the forums and prominent ones as well. Haha I think Mylene would think she was the charity considering the crap she pulled and then tried to qualify as being acceptable.

sorry this is off the subject...what happen top RTH? gossip gossip

:D

snip312