1. 1. Favorite Steel Angel

• Kurumi
    • Saki
    • Karinka

kurumi.gifadv17.jpg

Koutetsu Tenshi Kurumi ( 鋼鉄天使くるみ )

OLM/WOWOW/Pony Canyon, 1999-2000

ADV Films, 2002-2003

Directed by Naohito Takahashi (Berserk, Figure 17).

Rated 17+ for violence, T&A, HLA and S&M.

During Japan's Taisho Era (1912-1926), a scientist named Ayanokoji developed the Steel Angel - an artificial humanoid with superhuman physical abilities. While the Imperial Army wanted to use the Steel Angel as a new means of modern warfare, Ayanokoji wanted his creation to be a new step in the future of mankind. Thus, he defied orders from the Army and secretly made the Steel Angel codenamed "Kurumi".

Then one day, a young boy named Nakahito Kagura snuck into Ayanokoji's house as a dare by his friends and stumbled upon Kurumi's lifeless body. A sudden attack by the Imperial Army shook the house, causing Kurumi to fall on Nakahito. At that moment, their lips met, and Kurumi woke up from "the kiss that started a miracle".

Story: A-

For a series that runs only at 15 minutes per episode, Steel Angel Kurumi is surprisingly good. Underneath all the T&A in the series is some excellent character development and a lot of tongue-in-cheek humor.

Animation: A

Oriental Light & Magic (Berserk, Figure 17) did an excellent job animating Steel Angel Kurumi, using some awesome 2D and 3D effects.

Soundtrack: A

The BGM, composed by Toshihiko Sahashi (The Big-O, Full Metal Panic!), is a lively orchestral masterpiece that blends perfectly with Kurumi's roaring '20s setting. And once you listen to "Kiss Kara Hajimaru Miracle" by the Steel Angels, you can't get enough of the series.

Pawafuru Mirakuru ima kuru,

Hajikeru Majikaru Wandafuru,

Ririkaru komikaru koi suru toroderu,

Mi-Ra-Ku-Ru-Mi!

Sub vs. Dub

Steel Angel Kurumi features Atsuko Enomoto (Yukino in His & Her Circumstances, Misaki in Angelic Layer) as Kurumi, Rie Tanaka (Chii in Chobits, Yomi in Azumanga Daioh) as Saki, Masayo Kurata (Shinobu in Love Hina, Sayo in Inu-Yasha) as Karinka, Houko Kurashima (Quon in RahXephon, Kirika in NOIR) as Nakahito, Hirotaka Suzuoki (Kuno in Ranma 1/2, Bright Noah in Mobile Suit Gundam) as Dr. Ayanokoji, Ai Orikasa (Ryoko in Tenchi Muyo!, Quatre in Gundam Wing) as Dr. Amagi, Yasunori Matsumoto (Gourry in The Slayers, Gai in Getter Robo Armageddon) as Kamihito, Tamio Oki (Captain Tashiro in Gunbuster, Aramaki in Ghost in the Shell) as the General, Tomomichi Nishimura (Jamitov in Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam and Mobile Suit Gundam 0083) as Dr. Walski, Toshoyuki Morikawa (Griffith in Berserk) as Dr. Brando, Yumi Tohma (Urd in Ah! My Goddess, Deedlit in Record of Lodoss War) as Mikhail, Kikuko Inoue (Belldandy in Ah! My Goddess, Kasumi in Ranma 1/2) as Nadeshiko, Tomoko Kawakami (Revolutionary Girl Utena, Hikaru no Go) as Koganei, Michiko Neya (Nancy in Read Or Die, Melissa in Full Metal Panic!) as Kichijouji, Chinami Nishimura (Kiki in Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Fei-Lin in Gate Keepers) as Sumako, Ryoka Yuzuki (Armitage: Dual-Matrix, Takako in Chobits) as Tsunami, Chiharu Tezuka (Reika in Serial Experiments Lain, Yumi in Magical Project S as Kaga, and Akemi Okamura (Matsutani in Now and Then, Here and There, Belldandy in Adventures of Mini-Goddess) as Kaori.

I haven't seen ADV's English dub yet, but I've been warned to stay away from it, despite all the hype on ADV's website. Featured voices include Kelli Cousins (Harumi in Martian Successor Nadesico, Seira in Princess Nine) as Kurumi, Monica Rial (Haruka in RahXephon, Hyatt in Excel Saga) as Saki, Hilary Haag (Megumi in RahXephon, Chloe in NOIR) as Karinka, Kira Vincent-Davis (Quon in RahXephon, Ruri in Nadesico) as Nakahito, Charles Kennedy as Ayanokoji, David Mantranga (Orphen, Genjo in Saiyuki) as Kamihito, Shelley Calene-Black (Yaone in Saiyuki) as Amagi, John Swasey (Shogo in RahXephon, Quincy in Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040) as the General, Andy McAvin (Tetsuko in Excel Saga, Mason in Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040) as Dr. Walski, Todd Waite (Jiroushin in Saiyuki) as Dr. Brando, Tiffany Grant (Asuka in Neon Genesis Evangelion, Kim in RahXephon) as Tsunami, Christine M. Auten (Elvy in RahXephon, Shino in Princess Nine) as Kichijoji, and Emily Carter (Erina in Nadesico, Maki in Princess Nine) as Koganei.

DVD Extras

Scroll down for the lowdown on the Complete Collection DVD.

The Bottom Line

Who says ecchi titles can't mix T&A and a good story at the same time? Steel Angel Kurumi is a definite must-buy for any anime fan 17 and above.

"Kyuuuuin!" - Kurumi

Links

ADV Films' Official Steel Angel Kurumi Homepage

Reference

Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

kurumi2.gifadv17.jpg

Koutetsu Tenshi Kurumi 2-Shiki ( 鋼鉄天使くるみ2式 )

OLM/m.o.e./WOWOW/Pony Canyon, 2001

ADV Films, 2003

Directed by Naohito Takahashi (Berserk, To Heart).

Rated 17+ for violence, T&A and HLA.

Taking place 75 years after the first series, Steel Angel Kurumi 2 brings the Steel Angels in a new mis-adventure. High school student and aspiring cellist Nako Kagura accidentally discovers and kisses Kurumi Mk. II at her home, thus making her Kurumi's master. But things go awry as Nako's best friend Uruka gets jealous and tries anything - including her father's army of top-secret mecha - to destroy Kurumi and win back Nako. Things get more out of control when Saki Mk. II is awakened by Uruka, and Karinka Mk. II joins in to steal Nako away from Kurumi.

"Honto ni hani-hani!" - Nako

Story: C

Story-wise, Steel Angel Kurumi 2 falls a bit short as it's not only a rehash of the first series, but a rip of Project A-Ko and at least a dozen other anime I can't name right now. Kurumi Mk. II even rips off Mazinger Z and Kotetsu Jeeg with her partner Can-1 - a robot dog that transforms into a jet pack or "mermaid pack" (I'm not gonna bother explaining this).

Animation: B

While the artwork is as clean as the first series, the animation itself is surprisingly not as dynamic. The fight scenes are somehow not as fun to watch as those in the original.

Perhaps the only thing that doesn't get downgraded is the music. Toshihiko Sahashi (The Big-O, Full Metal Panic!) supplies a musical score that's just as good as the first series. The cello tracks may not be Yo-Yo Ma, but still very relaxing.

Sub vs. Dub

Reprising their roles from the first series are Atsuko Enomoto (Megumi in The SoulTaker, Rinna in DiGi Charat) as Kurumi 2-Shiki, Rie Tanaka (Morgana in .hack//SIGN, Lacus in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED) as Saki 2-Shiki, and Masayo Kurata (Shinobu in Love Hina, Sherrice in s-CRY-ed) as Karinka 2-Shiki. Houko Kuwashima (Sango in Inu-Yasha, Kagura in Azumanga Daioh), who played Nakahito in the first series, plays Nako in this installment. Also joining the cast are Mie Sonozaki as Uruka, and Kotono Mitsuishi (Excel Saga, Misato in Neon Genesis Evangelion) as Misaki.

As far as ADV's English dub goes, I haven't seen it yet. Kelli Cousins (Celecia in Rune Soldier, Akari in Chance Pop Session), Monica Rial (Kirika in NOIR, Miharu in Gasaraki) and Hilary Haag (Nene in Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, Menchi in Excel Saga) reprise their roles as the Steel Angels.

DVD Extras

Scroll down for the full lowdown on the Complete Collection DVD.

The Bottom Line

Not as good as the first series, but Steel Angel Kurumi 2 is still worth the laughs.

Links

m.o.e.'s Official Steel Angel Kurumi 2-Shiki Homepage (Japanese)

Reference

Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

Got the whole set of Steel Angel Kurumi

it was a blast!!!! :D

having myself chuckle when watching Project A-ko

this one really had me laughing out loud (getting some funny looks from familymembers, me being behind the PC with Earphones in)

Nice about the story is that it gets more serious as it advances without losing any of the humor

I'd say this series has enough for a fanboy but the T&A aren't overly abundant that it takes away from the series

(although Project A-ko has less)

Because of my PC I was confronted with the English Dub a few times

..Oh man, talk about Nails on a blackboard :blink:

(think Kurumi's Japanese voice is irritating? then DON'T switch to English)

Alot of fun and worth watching again (even though I saw it 3 months ago)

I recommend it to anyone who wants a good laugh, action and eyecandy

Side note:

I have the Encore DVD, it doesn't really "Add" to the previous DVDs

but they are sidestories and fun to watch anyway, although I do believe I saw a change in artwork

-

Favorite steel angel?

That's a toss-up between Kurumi and Saki

But in the end I find Saki to be my steel angel of choice :D:D:D

They gave Karinka ponytails! :angry: She is my favorite of the Steel Angels, by the way, but I think you already knew that, A7! Like you, I am a bit disappointed with this new series, and I do not think I will continue to watch it. It kind of reminds me of the story of Lou Diamond Phillips wife leaving him to be with Mellissa Ethridge.

I do like the soundtrack and the updated theme song also, but the second series is not as good as the first.

• 2 months later...

kurumizero.jpg

Koutetsu Tenshi Kurumi Zero ( 鋼鉄天使くるみ零 )

OLM/m.o.e./Pony Canyon, 2001

Unfortunately, ADV Films is not interested in it

Directed by Naohito Takahashi (Steel Angel Kurumi, Figure 17)

Not Rated (Suggested 17+). Contains T&A and HLA.

Sometime in the distant future, Kurumi, Saki and Karinka share an apartment with another girl named Excelia. One day, after school, Kurumi tells everyone that she is in love with a man she met named Michihito Kagura, but she doesn't know when she will see him again.

Story: B

Here's a very different approach to the Steel Angel Kurumi series: an OAV with no action and no comedy. And not one sound of "Kyuuin!" coming from Kurumi (except maybe after the end of episode 3). Steel Angel Kurumi Zero is simply a drama being played out by just four characters in one apartment. The story focuses mainly on Kurumi talking about her relationship with Michihito (who we'll never see in the OAV) and how heartbroken she gets when she stops receiving emails from him. The concept is good, but because the series is only three episodes long and running at the traditional 15 minutes, character development seems to be lacking. For instance, who is Excelia, and what is her relation to the Steel Angels? Then there's the issue of an Angel having a "Holder." It's mentioned in episode 2, but not clearly explained in the final episode. On the bright side, it's better than Steel Angel Kurumi 2.

Animation: A+

Steel Angel Kurumi Zero boasts the same art quality of the first series, only with more vibrant CG effects. And yes, the Angels are drawn similar to the original series (unlike Steel Angel Kurumi 2, where Karinka's hair got messed up).

Instead of the lively music of the first series, Toshihiko Sahashi (The Big O, Full Metal Panic!) uses a mellow orchestral soundtrack for Steel Angel Kurumi Zero. The ending balald by the Angels is also pretty good.

Cast

Joining the Steel Angels is Omi Minami (Hyatt in Excel Saga, Ruri in Martian Successor Nadesico) as Excelia.

The Bottom Line

While not the best Kurumi title, Steel Angel Kurumi Zero doesn't disappoint fans like the second series did. I'm just surprised that ADV hasn't released this yet.

Links

m.o.e.'s Official Steel Angel Kurumi Zero Homepage (Japanese)

Reference

Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

Kurumi season 1 is awsome. Something I could sit down with the wife and enjoy. I actually like the english dub of this. I think kurumi's annoying voice only enhances her character. I also like the Japanese track but not enough to read them everytime I watch it.

Hey...How can you not like Kurumi's kuwii sound. It makes the series.

Yes! More Karinka! Bring her on! And boy am I glad they got rid of the ponytails.

And speaking of the soundtrack to the first series, I'd have to agree with you there. I really like the background music. And once I hear that opening song, it's stuck in my head for a month. Hmm... Christmas is coming. Time to drown out the sound of carollers. :p

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Kurumi season 1 is awsome.  Something I could sit down with the wife and enjoy.  I actually like the english dub of this.  I think kurumi's annoying voice only enhances her character.  I also like the Japanese track but not enough to read them everytime I watch it. 

Hey...How can you not like Kurumi's kuwii sound.  It makes the series.

I find SAK to be weaker compared to Mahoromatic. ^_^

But there were so much character-design eye-candy on it and the story itself rates a B from me. and the opening-theme was so addicting.

Even tho I think the english-dub was a B-, I luv Hillary Haag's (my favorite english-va) swearin-like-a-sailor on eps 13-14. It was freakin hilarious and was excellently done. I didn't expect a hottie to swear like Hillary did with her Karinka. Great voice-acting, I say. :lol::lol::lol:

Oh, and the other Kurumi dub-team were hotties, too. Check out their photo-shoot.

http://www.advfilms.com/favorites/kurumi/g...photoshoot.html

Edited by treatment

Oh, and the other Kurumi dub-team were hotties, too. Check out their photo-shoot.

Claudia Black, Monica Rial and Kira Vincent-Davis, maybe. Everyone else...

Bleh...

I'd rather have...

Atsuko Enomoto (Kurumi)

Rie Tanaka (Saki)

Masayo Kurata (Karinka)

Houko Kuwashima (Nakahito/Nako)

Kotono Mitsuishi (Misaki)

Edited by areaseven

Claudia Black, Monica Rial and Kira Vincent-Davis, maybe. Everyone else...

Bleh...

I'd rather have...

Atsuko Enomoto (Kurumi)

Rie Tanaka (Saki)

Masayo Kurata (Karinka)

Houko Kuwashima (Nakahito/Nako)

Kotono Mitsuishi (Misaki)

Actually, Atsuko's the only bonafide cutie one in the japanese Kurumi-cast. She was featured in the R1 interview-extras of kare-kano disc-4.

The rest of the Kurumi jap-cast were just really meh.

Now if they had added Maria Yamamoto in the cast, they would've had two bonafide cuties. ^_^

But of course, our tastes differ. ^_^

--treatment--

• 6 months later...

kurumidvdbox.jpgadv17.jpg

Steel Angel Kurumi Complete Collection ( 鋼鉄天使くるみ )

OLM/WOWOW/Pony Canyon, 1999-2001

ADV Films, 2004

Directed by Naohito Takahashi (Berserk, Figure 17).

Rated 17+ for violence, T&A, HLA and S&M.

Pawafuru Mirakuru ima kuru,

Hajikeru Majikaru Wandafuru,

Ririkaru komikaru koi suru toroderu,

Mi-Ra-Ku-Ru-Mi!

Seven discs, one low price! Steel Angel Kurumi Complete Collection compiles the series that started it all, along with the OAV spinoff Steel Angel Kurumi Encore and the less-than stellar sequel Steel Angel Kurumi 2 - all for just $39.98 at Best Buy! How can you possibly beat that?

Sub vs. Dub

After spending two years with fansubs, I finally picked up the R1 DVDs and listened to the English dub for the first time. Man, I thought the Azumanga Daioh dub was bad; this one's actually even worse. None of the voice actresses sound as good as the Japanese versions; the worst being Kelli Cousins' version of Kurumi being severely flat and completely devoid of the character's cuteness.

No "Kyuuin!", no Steel Angel Kurumi! Stick to the Japanese dialogue.

DVD Extras: A

Omake! Omake! Rarely does an anime DVD throw in such goodies to go with the series. This collection is loaded with these extras:

- Extended episode previews

- Textless opening and ending sequences

- Character bios

- Original VHS/LD/DVD cover art

- Original manga cover art

- Concept sketches

- Historical background on the Taisho Era

- Onmyou background

- Text interviews with Kaishaku, Naohito Takahashi and other staff members

- Printable Fortune Teller files

- Translator's notes

- Concept sketches

- Seiyuu selected works

- A mini-comic preview of the Steel Angel Kurumi manga

The only reason why it doesn't get an A+ is because of useless garbage like interviews and photoshoots with the English voice cast. Otherwise, it's pure omake heaven for any Otaku.

The Bottom Line

Without a doubt one of the best DVD bargains of the year, Steel Angel Kurumi Complete Collection should be on your shopping list.

"Kyuuuuin!" - Kurumi

Links

ADV Films' Official Steel Angel Kurumi Homepage

Reference

Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven