VF-11B help

Sildani

Hi all. I have a 1/60 Yamato VF-11B that’s missing one of the intake covers. A couple years ago I took it out of the box, pulled out the covers to display it in an atmospheric mode and one of them ejected itself onto my basement floor. You’d think I’d have found it due to the floor being concrete, but no. Damn continuity elves. 

So if someone here with a golden heart and a 3D printer could help, I’d truly appreciate it. If you don’t have a Thunderbolt of your own, that’s OK, if you’ve got a positive, long-term rep on this forum I’ll loan you mine for measure/fitment. 

And while I'm here, I’d also appreciate a clip to hold the RVF-171EX gunpod on to one of its wing hardpoints. It’s always struck me as odd that Bandai included the pod, but there’s no way to store it in Fighter mode. 

Many, many thanks. 

For a piece like that, I'd probably recommend Shapeways (or some other similar service) just to get a good rugged part, but a resin printer would probably be decent for a piece not getting any major stresses, and you'd have more color options.

I can't offer any printing ability, but I can at probably get the measurements and work up the CAD model for it this week, if someone else doesn't beat me to it. ^_^ 

So I'm not sure if this will actually work, but I got a rough estimate modeled.

ss(2023-12-19at03_46.22).jpg.547b04a48214f23959f088c28f89de5d.jpg

Unfortunately, this piece is just all over the place to try and measure.  There really are no flat surfaces along any axis to align the part with, and trying to measure the overall dimensions was a pretty sketchy process.  It's really just a best guess.

It may or may not require some sizing up or down to fit, and it some of the corners may need rounding off.

If anyone has a VF-11, a resin printer, and a little spare time to test, I'd greatly appreciate the help!  I think the part is probably about 95% there, but it needs a test printing and fitting.

VF11Cover.zip

I actually only included one, since I figured it would be a waste to make both before I know if they fit.  Easy to make a version with a matching pair though.

On second thought though, I might be able to configure my printer to make a set and test, if I orient the parts correctly.  I might need to make a half dozen to give time for the plastic to cool, but it might work.

Anyhow, new copy is attached with a matched set.

Edit: Removing this one, it was quite a bit undersized.  New post below.

Edited by Chronocidal

Took some time tonight and tried throwing the file into my ABS printer, and actually had some really good results once I got the orientation right.  Had to stretch the part a little to fill the intake, and took a couple of tries, but I think I've got something close enough to pass muster once printed in the right color, or painted.

ss(2023-12-21at01_38.50).jpg.60af5a23510fc65007e6b9fc3b9c125b.jpg

For some reason the upper corner melted a little on this one, or it would fit better.  It doesn't exactly fit tightly, but it also doesn't come loose when I shake the valk, so depending on the fit, you might need to bulk up the tab with some glue or scotch tape.  I made it a little oversized to try and fit more tightly, but who knows how it will come out of a resin printer.  I was just pleased I got a functional shape on mine, I had the layer height and speed cranked down to their highest quality, and the part looks incredibly smooth for an FDM printer, mostly from how I tilted the part to minimize the layers.

Anyhow, here's a new set with this final version, paired up for printing.  I can't offer any advice for how to orient it for a resin printer, but it will probably come out fine with both parts hanging vertically from the build plate.

VF11CoverSet.zip

Good luck!

On 12/19/2023 at 3:59 PM, Chronocidal said:

So I'm not sure if this will actually work, but I got a rough estimate modeled.

ss(2023-12-19at03_46.22).jpg.547b04a48214f23959f088c28f89de5d.jpg

Unfortunately, this piece is just all over the place to try and measure.  There really are no flat surfaces along any axis to align the part with, and trying to measure the overall dimensions was a pretty sketchy process.  It's really just a best guess.

It may or may not require some sizing up or down to fit, and it some of the corners may need rounding off.

If anyone has a VF-11, a resin printer, and a little spare time to test, I'd greatly appreciate the help!  I think the part is probably about 95% there, but it needs a test printing and fitting.

VF11Cover.zip 48.45 kB · 2 downloads

I'll try to print it. I actually have a resin that is designed to be used in engineering and while it's about $200/Liter, I have a heated cure box that is meant for it, and the stuff really works damn well. I'll try to print it and test it with my 11.