Megazone 23 III

USMCBebop

I recently watched for the umpteeth time, Megazone 23 pts I and II and still enjoyed it as I did the first time I saw them in the eighties.

FINALLY I got a hold of pt III (or as someone corrected me in HERE, Megazone 23 III) via youtube.

I just finished the first act.  What can I say?  It was just okay; unlike the first two where I was able to really get into the story, I wasn't as drawn to it.

I have yet to see the second act; I will still see it when I have the chance.

I asked in that thread if it was worth buying, I'm glad I didn't.

Eve seems to be the only one that connects the three OVAs.  

While I wasn't disappointed, I wasn't too wowed either.

10 minutes ago, USMCBebop said:

I recently watched for the umpteeth time, Megazone 23 pts I and II and still enjoyed it as I did the first time I saw them in the eighties.

FINALLY I got a hold of pt III (or as someone corrected me in HERE, Megazone 23 III) via youtube.

I just finished the first act.  What can I say?  It was just okay; unlike the first two where I was able to really get into the story, I wasn't as drawn to it.

I have yet to see the second act; I will still see it when I have the chance.

I asked in that thread if it was worth buying, I'm glad I didn't.

Eve seems to be the only one that connects the three OVAs.  

While I wasn't disappointed, I wasn't too wowed either.

I think part 3 has amazing animation and cool designs, story wise I sorta feel like I’d have been happier not seeing it. It really brings me down. And without giving too much away, there is another major character that ties things together, but that’s part of why I didn’t like the story 

3 minutes ago, Big s said:

I think part 3 has amazing animation and cool designs, story wise I sorta feel like I’d have been happier not seeing it. It really brings me down. And without giving too much away, there is another major character that ties things together, but that’s part of why I didn’t like the story 

That's the common consensus I'm getting about III, and I'm starting to see why.  When I initially asked in the other thread years ago, the gist I got was mixed feelings.  And if people liked it, it was pretty much lukewarm.

I wonder why they didn't just go with the original protagonists albeit years later after pt II.

I could never finish part 3, it was so bad imho. That being said... I don't know if this has been shared yet.

http://aic-r.com/1636

New Mega Zone 23 “G-PROJECT” [1] Announcement of the start of the New Mega Zone 23 reboot project “G-PROJECT”

Announcement of the start of the new Mega Zone 23 reboot project “G-PROJECT”

Created in 1985,
"Mega Zone 23" still attracts many fans and sells many goods.
Our company will launch a new project again to reboot that work.
Our company
was established as a company that inherited the copyrights including Megazone 23 from the former Anime International Company, Inc. (AIC) through a business split.
Since our company's establishment, many people, including staff members who like Megazone 23, staff
members who were influenced by it, and staff members who participated at the time,
have tried through trial and error to revive this project, but the
road has been slow . It's been a tough journey, and so far we haven't had any great results.
However, under a new system with a new president, various preparations have finally been completed, and we
will now restart the Megazone 23 Reboot Project.
This is all thanks to everyone's support and cooperation.

We are still in the preparation stages, but we hope to gradually release information on our progress on our website, YouTube, SNS, etc.
We appreciate your continued support.

51 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

I could never finish part 3, it was so bad imho. That being said... I don't know if this has been shared yet.

http://aic-r.com/1636

New Mega Zone 23 “G-PROJECT” [1] Announcement of the start of the New Mega Zone 23 reboot project “G-PROJECT”

Announcement of the start of the new Mega Zone 23 reboot project “G-PROJECT”

Created in 1985,
"Mega Zone 23" still attracts many fans and sells many goods.
Our company will launch a new project again to reboot that work.
Our company
was established as a company that inherited the copyrights including Megazone 23 from the former Anime International Company, Inc. (AIC) through a business split.
Since our company's establishment, many people, including staff members who like Megazone 23, staff
members who were influenced by it, and staff members who participated at the time,
have tried through trial and error to revive this project, but the
road has been slow . It's been a tough journey, and so far we haven't had any great results.
However, under a new system with a new president, various preparations have finally been completed, and we
will now restart the Megazone 23 Reboot Project.
This is all thanks to everyone's support and cooperation.

We are still in the preparation stages, but we hope to gradually release information on our progress on our website, YouTube, SNS, etc.
We appreciate your continued support.

Thanks for sharing!

I found III (at least act I) harder to get into.  I'm glad I never bought the DVD!

15 hours ago, Big s said:

I don’t think it was necessarily bad, it’s just that I don’t like that kind of storyline, it really bums me out after seeing the way things ended from the previous parts.

So far, what I have seen in my opinion wasn't that bad.  Unlike the first two movies, it was harder to get into.  I remember watching the first movie back in 1986; there wasn't a subtitle version available to my knowledge at the time, I didn't understand what was going on and obviously the dialogue, but I saw something special in the story!  It took me several viewings to get some idea of the plot, but MZ23 had a new fan in me!

Pt II the same, but it was kind of hard to get used to the new art style of the folks.

MZ23 III?  I remember when it came out I was excited.  I didn't see it when released initially.  Then reading some of the reviews here on the Macross World forums and other places, I decided to skip out.  When the (now defunct) ADV films released all three movies on DVD, I only bought the first two movies.

Fast forward to last month; I catch III on youtube.  Now I see why it's not as loved as the first two.  

Again, I don't think it's that bad, but it does't have the same draw as the previous movies.

I will see act 2 of III when I get the chance; meaning I'm not in a hurry!

ya know it's funny, I just received my Blu-ray copy of the series, personally I'm sorta hesitant on the quality when I get a 3 part anime on 1 Blu-ray disc....However it does seem to be crammed with a lot of stuff cause not only does it carry the 3 ADV dubs, but it also has the original Streamlines Pictures dub which I did enjoy and was the first anime I owned on DVD back in the ......oh gosh late 90's? But it also has the Part 2 international release. Since it's AnimEgo I know it's gonna be at least a decent set to own, just need more time to explore my copy. 

On 10/7/2023 at 7:20 AM, Hikuro said:

ya know it's funny, I just received my Blu-ray copy of the series, personally I'm sorta hesitant on the quality when I get a 3 part anime on 1 Blu-ray disc....However it does seem to be crammed with a lot of stuff cause not only does it carry the 3 ADV dubs, but it also has the original Streamlines Pictures dub which I did enjoy and was the first anime I owned on DVD back in the ......oh gosh late 90's? But it also has the Part 2 international release. Since it's AnimEgo I know it's gonna be at least a decent set to own, just need more time to explore my copy. 

How many dubs of MZ exist?