Japan Post new shipping rates

MKT

I don't really know where to put this, mods please move or delete where appropriate..

Got notification from proxy today, that Japan Post will have another rate change come next month June 2022. And looking at the new rates, this look to be one of biggest increases ever in my short few years of toy collecting.

The coming new rates: https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/2022fee_change/index_en.html

Roughly eyeballing the new rates to the the existing EMS rates here, unless we are at China/South Korea/Taiwan, most other places will see something like up to average 30% increase. :(

Edited by MKT

• MKT changed the title to Japan Post new shipping rates

I got an update from proxy, that shipping rates for Airmail small parcel rates from Japan Post will go up come next month 1st October. Airmail small parcel was always a nice middle ground between EMS and SAL shipping, but were traditionally not offered by many of the JP-based web stores. However, more stores have been adopting it ever since EMS prices have shot through the roof during the past couple years, and SAL packages continue to be unavailable to many countries.

Notice from JP Post:
https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/2023fee_revision_kokusai/index_en.html

Rates translation from proxy:

JPPostAVIA01Oct2023rates.jpg.8a1c819db47fe989c03aa998614ed11e.jpg

Edited by MKT

I haven't used EMS for years now. I'm buying more from local shops since the shipping fees have gotten really big. And my packages from abroad also get held by customs more frequently. Thankfully just emails thru the DHL rep will resolve it.

Edited by hachi
edit

Sometimes I will pay more at one website over another just becouse they ship through UPS.  when it comes to China/Japan for me, the faster the better. its much less likely my package will be stuck weeks or months under thousands of pounds of other packages and more prone to damage. but sometimes the cost of shipping you really have no choice but snailmail.

16 hours ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

Sometimes I will pay more at one website over another just becouse they ship through UPS.  when it comes to China/Japan for me, the faster the better. its much less likely my package will be stuck weeks or months under thousands of pounds of other packages and more prone to damage. but sometimes the cost of shipping you really have no choice but snailmail.

I used to have that anxiety as well, so everything from Japan was always EMS in early days of collecting. Faster times = supposedly less chance of package damage. And then I started using SAL shipping, which extended the ship times to 2-3x EMS, but the packages on average did not arrive any worse for wear. Then I realized it is not so much the ship times that affect the damage or wear on the packages, but more of which shipping company it goes through. After all, it is the staffs' attitudes that affect the handling of packages and their temperament always seem to reflect across the whole company.

So if a certain courier company or shipping service always deliver damaged packages, chances are it will not matter if I select a fast or slower service from them, the packages will still arrive badly.