Far Cry game demo

bsu legato

• 2 weeks later...

I really tried to dl it. Left my PC overnight.... just to wake up and find out that the 400 something megs were corrupted. <_<

On a lighter note... I did download Painkiller. While not anywhere near the quality of Far Cry.... its still great on its own. Its like a lighter version of the Serious Sam games, without the silliness and with Havok physics engine.

Seriously.... nailing a zombie against a wall with a wood nail the size of a small car is alot of fun. :lol:

Oh boy, this one sounds like a stinker:

"Far Cry" game being adapted into movie

POSTED ON 02/20/04 AT 11:00 A.M.

BY THOMAS CHAU

The Hollywood Reporter reports that producer Uwe Boll has picked up the film rights to the PC video game "Far Cry" to develop into a feature film. The film will be budgeted at $25 million dollars and hopes to begin production next year.

The videogame itself hasn't been released yet, and won't be until March 23, but it has received a lot of attention already. The game's manufacturer, Crytek, reports that the game's demo has been downloaded 1.5 million times already.

I'm very interested in this game and have tried to DL it three times at work on our DSL, every time my DL gets booted for some reason... even tried DLing it on the other mirrors they have available... so I tried to DL it at home on my dialup, left it on all night and it dropped off.

Looks like I don't get to play this game until it comes out... :(

Oh well... I have my vietcong fist alpha to keep me busy... but it is kind of hard playning VC:FA knowing what happens to the character you play as right off the bat... :(:(

You guys are still having problems downloading the demo? Yeesh, just how the hell did I manage to get it in the first place? I don't know what to tell you guys...hopefully it'll get featured in PC Gamer, so you can just throw the disc into your PC.

Oh, and Uwe Boll is the cinematic equivalent of the AntiChrist. Seriously, House of the Dead was an afront to all that's good and decent in the world. Why do people give him money to make films?

You guys are still having problems downloading the demo? Yeesh, just how the hell did I manage to get it in the first place? I don't know what to tell you guys...hopefully it'll get featured in PC Gamer, so you can just throw the disc into your PC.

Oh, and Uwe Boll is the cinematic equivalent of the AntiChrist. Seriously, House of the Dead was an afront to all that's good and decent in the world. Why do people give him money to make films?

Hey! House of ze Dead was a pretty fun and corny movie. :lol:

And did you hear Far Cry is going to be a DVD-Rom only game? About time they started ditching CDs. :lol:

Only the European release will be DVD-only. Us schmucks here in North America will have to load up no less than 5 CDs. <_<

WTF. Why?

That makes no sense at all... Here's a novel idea... If they're worried about compatability, why not doing BOTH?

Vostok 7

This is the word from Ubi Soft, as confirmed on the official forums. <_< 4 install discs, plus one "play" disc.

I wonder if they even consider releasing the DVD version. Oh well... I guess I will just get the European version for convinience sake. When is the European version coming out? And am I going to have to deal with region encoding?

Got the demo last night.

Its pretty cool, but I have yet to play with the settings so I can get some decent performance out of it. I'm also getting clipping glitches with the stones and the shark.

Besides that.... the game is pretty fun and very challenging. Doesn't have realistic physics and the aiming felt a little loose in my opinion.... but it was fun never the less.

I'm picking the retail version whenever it comes out. :)

Got the demo last night.

Its pretty cool, but I have yet to play with the settings so I can get some decent performance out of it. I'm also getting clipping glitches with the stones and the shark.

Besides that.... the game is pretty fun and very challenging. Doesn't have realistic physics and the aiming felt a little loose in my opinion.... but it was fun never the less.

I'm picking the retail version whenever it comes out. :)

I had the same problem... It's choppy still on my system and the aiming is really way too loose for my taste. It'd take me too long to try to aim on anything, which no game should do.

And the "rag-doll" physics were not at all impressive to me... Halo still has way better body physics than Far Cry... In fact, I have yet to see a game that has better body physics than Halo.

However, I have gotten the bodies to do some weird stuff like sliding off the cliffs and "presenting themselves" :lol: (screenshot attached)

But damn is it a pretty game... Nothing is more impressive than standing on the top of the mountain, shooting a rocket at the boat below, watching it fly forever, blow up the boat, then walking down and actually seeing the same boat.

Vostok 7

post-26-1077389584_thumb.jpg

"Aiming" is one of my pet peaves on FPS games and to me many games just don't "do it right"... can someone fill me in on this "aiming issue" people seem to be having?

It feels very loose most of the times. Even if I leave the cross hair right on the target, I never see it changing colors to recognize a target, aka you miss 99% of the times because it acts as if the target isn't there. Its usually easier to hit the target out of a random burst, then carefully aiming. I ran into that problem even when using the sniper rifle, and I really find that unacceptable.

The game suffers of bad storm trooper blaster rifle syndrome (I know some of you played those games), where the shots come out in random directions. You can have someone right in the middle of your cross hair, but that doesn't mean you will hit anything.

And shooting while running is practically impossible to hit anything. I guess you would call that realistic.... but it just doesn't appeal me. I'll get the game and endure the aiming if its not fixed.... but I can't say I like that.

Edited by Abombz!!

My problem was it seemed to be too "course"... The movement/aiming would be way too slow during normal walking, and then way too fast whenever I was trying to aim at something... I never seemed to miss because of it, but it got frustrating. Setting the sensetivity higher seemed to help a little, but I'm used to fluid aiming on an FPS, and Far Cry has far from fluid aiming.

Vostok 7

I don't know...I don't seem to have too much trouble hitting the mercs. Are you guys using the "aim mode"? I have it set to my right mouse button, and can usually headshot guys from a reasonable distance. The only problem I run into is a quick lag spike when I ambush the first 4 guys at the beginning of the demo.

So does this mean the game has a "aim mode" ala Vietcong? That is hands down the best feature of that game and I can zap VC from across the level like that... and judging from some of the other comments it seems these game developers have the typical problem that most game developers do: they have no concept of how real world firearms work thus they make the guns "random" to try to recreate recoil and rapid fire shooting. Several games have done that correctly (MoH, Call of Duty, Vietcong) and several have done it terribly (any Star Wars FPS)...

I guess I will have to reserve judgement until I actually play the game... but from the sound of it they have some serious aiming issues.

So does this mean the game has a "aim mode" ala Vietcong?

Not quite. What it does is sort of hold the gun closer to the screen, and gives you a slight zoom. However, you move slower while doing this. Also, you can "hold your breath" while aimed, giving you a slight increase in accuracy. But you DO NOT use the actual sights on the firearms, as in Vietcong of CoD.

So does this mean the game has a "aim mode" ala Vietcong?

Not quite. What it does is sort of hold the gun closer to the screen, and gives you a slight zoom. However, you move slower while doing this. Also, you can "hold your breath" while aimed, giving you a slight increase in accuracy. But you DO NOT use the actual sights on the firearms, as in Vietcong of CoD.

Well poop that is the coolest part of the aiming in VC and CoD...

And just for the record you move slow while aiming in both VC and CoD and the longer you hold your aim the "Steadier" your aim gets... but only when kneeling or laying prone, try to aim while standing and you might as well shoot from the hip.

I guess to a gunslinger like me it is more "natural" to see the sights of the weapon in the game and shoot looking down the weapon than it is to "point and click" using a fakie crosshair in the middle of the screen. The crosshair is great and all for spray and pray shooting in games but it always leaves me feeling a bit "detatched".

I guess that is why I'm loving the hell out of VC and VC:FA right now...

That's one thing that always impressed me about OpFlash too. I loved that game. I'm suprised it wasn't more popular because it had alot of potential... I picked up a game the other day called "Universal Combat" (word to the wise, usually any generically named game sucks) that promised cool combat in a variety of fields, from spaceship commander to lonely grunt shooting at people on a battlefield. And it really sucks. OpFlash is the closest game I've seen that brings that idea of "strategery" to the FPS game... Well, except Battlezone, which I also loved.

One thing I really liked about CoD was the sheer immersiveness of it. I haven't picked up the full version yet, but the demo was damn impressive.

Frankly, I'm not much impressed by the gameplay of Far Cry. The only thing I can hope is that it's moddable, because there's lots of great things I can see being done to it.

Vostok 7

Wasn't painkiller mentioned a few pages back? Well, the demo came out and it kicks far-cry's ass. The detail and physics are amazing. And it is in this game I have seen the coolest melee weapon yet. In stead of the cheap ol' knife in fps's, you get this lawn mower blade from hell. Not only does it spin, you can shoot and hook enemies, sending them over your head. You also get this very sophisticated cross-bow. You can shoot these huge-ass stakes into zombies heads and watch them back-flip in a cloud of red vapor. I'd recomend all you going to getting this one, at least the demo. The graphics are better and you'll have a hell of time. I got mine from gamezone, but i think you can get it off their website. If you do play it, every weapon has alternate fire and the ammo is disguised so well, it looks like its part of the map; they look like crates and such.

Wasn't painkiller mentioned a few pages back? Well, the demo came out and it kicks far-cry's ass. The detail and physics are amazing. And it is in this game I have seen the coolest melee weapon yet. In stead of the cheap ol' knife in fps's, you get this lawn mower blade from hell. Not only does it spin, you can shoot and hook enemies, sending them over your head. You also get this very sophisticated cross-bow. You can shoot these huge-ass stakes into zombies heads and watch them back-flip in a cloud of red vapor. I'd recomend all you going to getting this one, at least the demo. The graphics are better and you'll have a hell of time. I got mine from gamezone, but i think you can get it off their website. If you do play it, every weapon has alternate fire and the ammo is disguised so well, it looks like its part of the map; they look like crates and such.

I don't know about that. Far Cry seems to involve alot more brain play..... Painkiller is fun.... but its like a lite version of Serious Sam.

As for having better graphics..... you must be smoking. I get a ton of graphic glitches in Far Cry but it is a whole lot better looking then Painkiller from a technical stand point.