OT, but I promised pics a while ago of my USS Iowa

And just to make it possibly somewhat on-topic, if there's ever a model of the Asuka, I think I'm one of the few here who models modern warships and can help with them. :)

Yes, this is the model which is 3 Yammies long and 1 Yammie tall with room for a VF-11 on the fantail. :)

Anyways, Well, I actually haven't progressed on it for a few months now (can't airbrush in the snow) but I figured I'd take some pics before I box it up for the winter. Just the hull's done, it'll be a while before the whole thing's done. Like, maybe in November. Will do the main deck next, then the superstructure, and finish with the guns/turrets.

So here she is at the moment. Camo scheme is MS.32a/1b, one of the rarest there is. And it changed a lot. I'm doing her as she appeared "after January but before June". Looked different from this in Jan, different in June.

Colors are 1943 version of 5L Light Grey, and pre-neutral 5B Navy Blue. (The light grey is actually quite bluish, hard to tell in the pic. And yes, that is actual Navy Blue as used by the US Navy for camo paint, not navy blue like your coat) Navy Blue is VERY grey.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Great job so far!

I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished product.

You've inspired me to get mine out of storage, but I think I'll wait to see how your kit turns out before I start. ;)

Spent some time in the Navy, and overseas in the Persian Gulf, and you definitely selected an awesome ship to model.

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Yes, that part of the hull is 100% Tamiya Missouri. Althought since all the Tamiya kits use the New Jersey's hull (misfit of the class, boy can I rant on that) it took a bit of shaving and sanding to get a non-NJ hull out of it. Most of the work converting it will be above decks. There's many dozens of hours already put into the superstructure and guns to make the Iowa from the Missouri. (Even had to buy new planes for the catapults).

Plus of course, expensive aftermarket resin and brass stuff. :) (Not super-detailing stuff, flat-out "necessary for the conversion" stuff). I am not going to go all-out and do etched brass railings, individually turned barrels, etc. I do not have that level of skill. But I am doing EVERY thing that makes the Iowa unique. Door by door, vent by vent. I'm just not applying 4 layers of screens into those vents, nor adding brass handles to said 4mm tall doors, like some people who put 10,000 hours into them do. :)

Edited by David Hingtgen

I thought the Missouri was the only one that used the splinter style scheme. Also, wasn't the Iowa the only ship in the class to not have a quad 40mm on the "B" turret roof?? I seem to remember seing three 20mm guns there instead.

200 posts again.

EDIT: spelling

Edited by muswp1

Mo had wavy patterns---32/22D. This is 32A/1B.

Also--yup, I've removed the 40mm quad mount on the #2 turret, and have built the new tub for the 3 20mm's. Need to finish the rest of the turret before I install the 20mm stuff.

Missouri's shakedown scheme: http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/...4000/k04576.jpg

And here's Iowa: (yes, the edges are feathered---that's January, I'm doing the Spring repaint, with sharp edges---there's no good photos online I can link to of that variation--though I have a few in books, including one of the very few full-color pics of the Iowa in that camo)

Edited by David Hingtgen

GreenGuy--thanks, but I've been there before, and have more useful pics than they do :) All the good stuff is in expensive books, like always. :)

PS to everybody: the all-time coolest Navy pic ever is this overhead photo of the Iowa doing a full-broadside:

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/...dod/8505379.jpg

Nothing like a 500ft-long visible concussion wave...