DYRL w/ english dialogue?

DARTHTODD

There were actually two releases done by the same studio who dubbed it, these guys I believe are australian actors I'm not sure. They were pretty horrible though, moments in the movie they kept some of the original japanese voices for the "Eh?" or minor dialouge during the opening like Hikaru's "Thank you".

Further off in the beginning the dubb is truely horrible, many pauses and incomplete/broken tracks. They would be saying something and it would just STOP. I can't point out anything specific since I do not own the dub releases anylonger, haven't heard them in over 3 years.

The first dub release was "Clash of the Bionoids" which was very hacked up, nearly half of the movie was butchered I think even alot of Roy's death and even Minmay singing Do You Remember Love was hacked up pretty good. I can't remember if Kakazaki's death was hacked or not.

Than released by the same group was Super Dimension Fortress Macross: The movie. Same dubbing group and all, but uncut compared to Clash of the Bionoids. You can even find either or of the dubs on Amazon.com I believe. Yep just looked you can find both versions, of course Clash of the Bionoids is sold out, I also believe it's out of print, rather old.

Before anyone would go asking why HG never got their greedy hands on it, I asked them few years ago.

"Though we were well aware of the motion picture of Macross now known as Robotech in many other countries, we could not find the film rights to produce a proper english spoken version of the movie and it seems Studio Nue along with other affliates have lost the rights to this, it's completely disappeared at this time."

So Harmony Gold wanted to send DYRL to the states, though I'm not sure if they would do a similar aspect to it calling it "Robotech the movie" or "Robotech: Do You Remember Love?" Or something.

I have the the Best Film and Video Tape. I got it sometime in the late 90s. I ordered it from Rightstuf. You couldn't find it in the stores (at least around here). I ended up finding it at Electronics Boutique eventually. They had repackaged it by then.

There aren't scenes edited out of this version. I've seen Clash of the Bionoids and that had like a 1/2 hour cut out. The newer tape (the one I have) has the same dub, but isn't cut at all. The voices are pretty bad, but it's better than nothing if you have a hard time reading subtitles. I recommend this version if that's the case. Otherwise get a subbed version somewhere, the Japanese actors are much, much, much better. This dub sounds like it was dubbed by foreign into English.

It's really a poor job by today's standards (which are very low even now in my opinion). It might have been dubbed in Britian or Hong Kong because some of the actors have English accents (Minmay)! It is hard to understand what the actors are saying sometimes, but you should get the gist of it pretty easily. Some lines are a bit different, but aren't really dramatically different. For being the only version of this movie available domestically it's not half bad version of a great movie.

Two songs are altered in it though. When Minmay sings when she is caught in the Zentraedi ship she doesn't sing her signature slow song (can't recall the anem right now), but the dubbed actress hums instead. Also there is a karaoke version of "Angel Paints" at the end instead of Mari Iijima singing. Those are the only things altered other than the voices. All of the violence, nudity, and most of the songs are present.

You can order the movie uncut from Rightstuf here http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmg...item/2195/4/0/0 (this is the repackaged version).

I've attached a pic of the original uncut version released shortly after.

I hope that helps! Now if only a company would release this domestically subtitled.

Randy

Edit: Oh, so many misspellings...

post-2-1074838536_thumb.jpg

Edited by Powered Convoy

Actually, all dub versions spring from a Toho-commissioned dub that was done either for JAL flights or for the hint of foreign release (as was done later with COTB and other VHS versions int he states). Toho had nothing to do with the edits for COTB, which were done by Celebrity for Kids to make a film that would otherwise be PG-13 into a G film for the rugrats.

Actually, all dub versions spring from a Toho-commissioned dub that was done either for JAL flights or for the hint of foreign release (as was done later with COTB and other VHS versions int he states). Toho had nothing to do with the edits for COTB, which were done by Celebrity for Kids to make a film that would otherwise be PG-13 into a G film for the rugrats.

Well that explains a lot. I'm glad to know now. I figured that they were dubbed by people either in Japan or Hong Kong.

But boy was "Clash of the Bionoids" a travesty! I saw that in 1996 before seeing the uncut version and I couldn't believe how much they cut out. All of the cool action scenes, all the singing, like all of the good stuff. After watching "Clash of the Bionoids" I was convinced that Hikaru died in Badolzas chamber. Since we didn't see him escape in the edited version. Horrible, horrible.

Now give me DYRL with the Minmay concert credits and followed up by Flashback subtitled on R1 DVD and I'll be a happy boy!

Randy

So would we all. However, it's looking like we could get the Democrats and Republicans and dogs and cats to embrace each other before all of the companies that own a piece of DYRL here in the states would agree to let one of them release a DVD version.

When Robert "We even deny that Japan exists" Woodhead of AnimEigo says a versionof the above, you might as well settle in for a long wait... damn --ing lawyers... :angry:

Yep, that's right, Toho did the dub themselves.

You can recognise the same voice actors in the dubbed Godzilla movies.

I don't have any other versions, but I'm happy with the DYRL I got from VEX. Only very minor problems with the subtitles, which I cleared up through reference to a translated script readily available on the net.

Also, it's a true anamorphic transfer, so if you have a widescreen TV, or a TV which can adjust for anamorphic (like the Wegas), you'll get better resolution than you would for letterboxed widescreen.

If you can get nothing else... COTB will work.... if you can choose between COTB or Super spacefortress Macross (that is to say, cut dubs vs. uncut dubs), go with the uncut.... at least you get all the animation. While the voices are pretty pathetic, the grammar is passable and you can at least understand what they're saying most of the time. So far as I know, these never recieved a DVD release... it would be interesting if they did.

if you're restricted to VHS (and some people still are), there are a few different prints of the old Kiseki video uncut subtitle version that offer decent translation running around. Generally for pretty cheap too.

Of course, the best way to go is DVD. BOTH DVD versions of DYRL running around (Anime Studio inc, and FX) are good. the FX supposedly has a better video quality, while the ASinc version supports more accurate dialog (guys, correct me if I'm wrong on this), but both are good quality.

I've heard of those Subtitled VHSeses. Is the transalation accurate? Also, it's in PAL right (Being the filthy American Pig, I've NTSC)?

If you're thinking of buying a subititled VHS tape...don't. The only reason to get something on tape is if it simply isn't available on DVD. Even a cheap $30 no-name DVD player is much, much, much better than a VCR in terms of image quality.

for the sake of trying to not go completely off topic... Espcially with non-region 1 DVDs floating arround. I saw a Deawoo "region free" DVD player for like $35 (does Pal and NTSC). Anyone have any personal information about it, or other similar DVD players? I already have a nice Panasonic, I would just like to have a DVD player than can do Pal, European and Asian DVDs.

All right, continuing off topic...I have a Raite AVphile 715, which was one of the famous region free players a while back. (I don't think it's available anymore, but essentially the same player may be available as a Yamakawa, Tokai, Monyka, etc.) It works great. You can choose any region, or you can set it as regionless. (I've read that some DVD's won't play on regionless players, so being able to change regions is conceivably useful as opposed to only being regionless.)

My player also does both PAL and NTSC output. However, on the only Region 2 discs I own (Macross Plus Ultimate Edition from the UK), the video comes out slightly compressed vertically. This isn't a big deal, as I can adjust the vertical on my TV set. Perhaps other DVD players do the conversion more smoothly.

Here are some useful links:

Guide to region-free players and how to use them: http://www.regionfreedvd.net/players.html

Guide to DVD players and recordable media compatibility, not oriented to region free but may have info in notes http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

All right, continuing off topic...I have a Raite AVphile 715, which was one of the famous region free players a while back. (I don't think it's available anymore, but essentially the same player may be available as a Yamakawa, Tokai, Monyka, etc.) It works great. You can choose any region, or you can set it as regionless. (I've read that some DVD's won't play on regionless players, so being able to change regions is conceivably useful as opposed to only being regionless.)

My player also does both PAL and NTSC output. However, on the only Region 2 discs I own (Macross Plus Ultimate Edition from the UK), the video comes out slightly compressed vertically. This isn't a big deal, as I can adjust the vertical on my TV set. Perhaps other DVD players do the conversion more smoothly.

Here are some useful links:

Guide to region-free players and how to use them: http://www.regionfreedvd.net/players.html

Guide to DVD players and recordable media compatibility, not oriented to region free but may have info in notes http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

awesome thanks ewilen :D