Simon Stalenhag's book of Sci-fi paintings

Mr March

I just received shipment of a book I purchased of Simon Stalenhag's amazing collected paintings, "Tales from the Loop". Perhaps a contradiction to describe it thus, the phrase "science fiction realism/naturalism" best defines this incredible collection of Euro-suburbia through a filter of a science fiction-themed alternate 1980s Sweden. The book is an incredible collection of amazing artwork - all accompanided by cleverly written fiction from the artist himself - that has captured my imagination in a way few things do these days.

http://www.simonstalenhag.se/

I've not looked and read through the entire book as yet, but so far it's shaping up to be the best collection of art I've purchased since Tenjin Hidetaka's Artworks of Macross Valkyries. Stalenhag's work combines elements of retro science fiction, with equal measures of modern and old school mechanical design, all set in the gorgeous landscapes of the Swedish cities and country side. I recommend this book to sci-fi fans, fans of art and those that love robots.

post-114-0-35365900-1454769863_thumb.jpg

Very cool stuff; thanks for sharing. I like how he frames everyday events across a spectrum in such a way that the sci-fi elements, which are portrayed beautifully, if somewhat disturbingly in some paintings, that their presence is downplayed, often seeming commonplace. It's a unique take, executed well.

Yeah, the way the fiction is written for the paintings allows the art to combine futurism with nostalgia, yet the paintings feature a style of sci-fi we've never quite seen before. This books truly is a little gem, one that I was very happy I purchased.