Death of a Battroid

Berttt

Well that's it! Last night I was putting the finishing touches to my Hasegawa Cannon Fodder VF-1A, when evertyhing went sour.

After many hours of carful gluing, puttying, sanding and painting, the damn thing was looking nice, just had to put the last flat clear on it. So out I go, get my trusty can of Testors Dullcote ( I normally don't use spraycans, but I've seen the finish this stuff can give and it's not too bad) bang it on the model, and wouldn't you know this crap starts crazing the paint ARGGGGHHH!!! wrecking decals and all.

Talk about frustrating!

I packed the whole lot into the box and shoved it in the bottom of my pile in disgust.

There is no good news here, but it was lucky I had another one so I whipped it out and started again right then and there.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Berttt

Beware the Devil Dullcote will get you too!!!!!

I know how that feels!!!

I got 2 fighters vf-1S strike and a VF-1A ready for final MM clear coat I had tamiya base coat and when I sprayed it, BANG!! the base coat smears off like the Witch of OZ.

I left it to dry for 2 days and I thought it was dry. As you can see you can't trust paints and weather. That's why now I use airbrush instead of the cans to coat the models...

That's why now I use airbrush instead of the cans to coat the models...

That's what I do these days. I didn't have any catalyst to move from the spraybombs, though... no huge mishaps, at least. I was havng problems with graininess in some of my basecoating for my wargaming minis, and so moved over to an airbrush. I just moved to the airbrush dullcoat at the same time.

The paint underneath the Dullcote was Humbrol Clear gloss, that had been dry for about four or five days as I slowly got around to putting on all the decals.

The crazy thing is the Dullcote didn't consistantly ruin the surface, on some parts it's the whole surface, other bits just a little, but not one part was spared.

Edited by Berttt

The paint underneath the Dullcote was Humbrol Clear gloss, that had been dry for about four or five days as I slowly got around to putting on all the decals.

Humbrol....that could explain it. I've only used some of their flat colors, but I've heard stories about Humbrol being a little finnicky. All I can say is that when you're in doubt about paint compatibility, test test test.