Macbeth

Mr March

Not exactly sci-fi or anime, but I figured since Macross was originally to be titled after this play of Shakespeare's, it might be worth mentioning. Also, because it looks so brutally frakking awesome :)

HAIL MACBETH! HAIL MACBETH!

I've actually seen "Snowtown", which was a truly harrowing film. Kurzel's adaptation of Macbeth seems like ripe material for a similar sensibility. In which case, we're in for a ride.

EXO and Phobos

I think this is exactly the kind of film that demands to be seen in a theatre. Not just because of it's origins as a stage production or even the grand, epic scope of the drama fitting a grand screen, but because this particular film looks like a visual banquet in the best way. Nearly every frame shown in the trailer could be a painting, it's so exquisitely shot and framed. It's shot by Adam Arkapaw, who shot True Detective Season 1 and the excellent Australian crime drama Animal Kingdom.

renegadeleader1

I've not seen that adaptation, but Patrick Stewart knows his Shakespeare for sure :)

Gubaba

I know the modern Hollywood abuse of re-writes lends large screenwriting teams a foul reputation, but they aren't inherently worrisome especially if the team was planned from the beginning. A Shakespeare adaptation like this could very well benefit from one person concentrating upon dialog with another staging and choreography and an editor for cohesion/structure. Something that looks this meticulous could justify it.

I'm excited, not only will this decide whether or not I'll go see Assassin's Creed which will have Fassbender and Cottilard and will be directed by Kurzel... but Macbeth is my favorite Shakespeare play, even played MacDuff in High School... :lol:

Oh yeah, for sure. It's actually strange because I'm curious if see Kurzel's raw, hard edge for violence will translate into a mainstream, big box office property like Assassin's Creed. Or perhaps they chose Kurzel precisely for that very reason, because they wanted the film to have that edge. Either way, I'm hopinh for the sake of both films this adaptation of Macbeth turns out to be really good.