Battletech/Mechwarrior Quiz

yes, can we add our own?

and is there a source out there that tells us what happened in the years after

the novel END GAME and the beginning of the Dark Age novels?

Not yet. I am sure that there will be one eventually.

Also, who here likes Dark Ages? I'm not real sold on it yet. I was hoping for a more desolute future and had the novels slowly rebuild the Inner Sphere then the very improbable set that we got. Also as much as I like Mike Stackpole's writing, did we need to see Victor Steiner-Davion again. Stackpole has a hard-on for that character like you wouldn't beleive. That just really bugs me.

I read that book just to see what was going on and I don't like the direction that Whizkids took. I would much rather go back in Inner Sphere history and see books talking more about the early days of the Star League. Also, I've always thought that a trilogy or something about The Galtor Campaign might be fun. I know it's just one of the sourcebooks, but.................

And I absolutely couldn't answer any of those questions and I have read all the novels, save for two.

:rolleyes:

Heres some for you

1. The Com Guards have a Faslane class yardship named the Dun Laioghre, where is Dun Laioghre?

2. Whats the one Pirphery nation who has a warship?

3. What are the name of the two Kell Hound owned battlemech factories?

4. What mech did Nicolas Kerensky pilot?

5. On which planet was the Draconis Combine founded?

Hybridchild

The answers to all of those are in the sourcebooks because they aren't in the novels. I should know, I have all but one.

5."Seyla" is a ritualistic clan word meaning "unity", but what is the origin of the word?

Seyla comes from the bible, it means pause and contimplate, basically its an early form on 'Amen'. The explaintion about the wolf warroir who saved the ilKhan is considered non-cannon

Hybridchild

Something that Robert Thurston wrote for B-tech, "non-canon"????

That's about like saying the bible had nothing to do with God....

5."Seyla" is a ritualistic clan word meaning "unity", but what is the origin of the word?

Seyla comes from the bible, it means pause and contimplate, basically its an early form on 'Amen'. The explaintion about the wolf warroir who saved the ilKhan is considered non-cannon

Hybridchild

Edited by Dies Irae

Hybridchild

post-26-1073099821_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dies Irae

#5 - is definately not Robinson, that's the capital of the Draconis March. I think it's Luthien.

#4 - is the Orion. Both Nicholas and Alexandsar piloted Orions (See the Orion IIC's entry in the 3060 tech readout), it might have even been the same one.

#3 - Arc Royal Mechworks is one of them. I know the second one is on Arc Royal as well and I think it WC Site 1, although I am not 100% sure.

#2 - I believe it's the Taurian Concordat. Not definate on that one either.

#1 - Just a guess, but I'd say it on Turkyayd (I know the spelling is wrong.)

Heres some for you

1. The Com Guards have a Faslane class yardship named the Dun Laioghre, where is Dun Laioghre?

2. Whats the one Pirphery nation who has a warship?

3. What are the name of the two Kell Hound owned battlemech factories?

4. What mech did Nicolas Kerensky pilot?

5. On which planet was the Draconis Combine founded?

Hybridchild

#1: probably some location in England?

#2: Not sure.

#3: I can probably find from the sourcebooks and tech readouts, but I don't have the information on hand right now.

#4: Daishi. IIRC, he died in one.

#5: IIRC, New Samarakand.

Nicolas in a Daishi? I'm pretty sure it was a clan mech but I can't remember... Don't think it was a Dire Wolf though.

As far as which was the only periphery state to have a Warship, that's a toughie. Are we talking post 3050 new warships or oldschool Com Star stuff? I don't think any of the periphery had any oldschool warships... that I know of.

And I'm pretty certain the Draconis Combine was founded on Luthien, since it's the capital IIRC... But I could be wrong.

I have a huge binder with printout profiles of every state in the IS dated pre-3050 IIRC, I should dig it out and see what I can find.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Hybridchild

LOL!!!

:lol:

#5 - is definately not Robinson, that's the capital of the Draconis March.

It IS the capital of the Draconis March, which USED to belong to Kurita back in the day (not sure at which point it was taken by the Federated Suns)... being close to the core worlds like it is, I thought that might be a possibility. Al-Na'ir is another possibility. Dieron and Altair are the closest DC worlds to Terra, they may have originated from there also.

It IS the capital of the Draconis March, which USED to belong to Kurita back in the day (not sure at which point it was taken by the Federated Suns)... being close to the core worlds like it is, I thought that might be a possibility. Al-Na'ir is another possibility. Dieron and Altair are the closest DC worlds to Terra, they may have originated from there also.

Didn't think about them. Altair sounds right... but so does Dieron.

Vostok 7

#5 - is definately not Robinson, that's the capital of the Draconis March.

It's actually hard to say where the Draconis Combine originated, because there was not really a time when someone said "This is where the Draconis Combine began!"

What we do know is that Shiro Kurita, founder of the Draconis Combine, was born in 2270 at Yamashiro on New Samarkand.

Once Shiro Kurita consolidated power in 2296, he went on to strike an alliance with Galedon, which then expanded by force into an area encompassing 30 worlds by 2310. By 2348, this will increase to more than 60 major worlds and the Draconis Combine (as referred to in the House Kurita sourcebook) was cited as the second most powerful realm, after the Terran Hegemony.

In that sense, New Samarkand is the founding place of the Draconis Combine. It remained the capital of the realm until 2617, when Sanethia Kurita announced the intention to move the capital from New Samarkand to Luthien. The transfer took place somewhere after 2622 (exact dates are not available), where it remains to date.

Ok ill give you the answers

1. Dun Laighorie is in Dublin Ireland about 10 minutes drive from here. All the Faslanes are named after ports in Ireland and the UK

2. The Taurians hid a Vincent class corvette in the Hades Cluster since the fall of the Star League

3. The Hounds own the Arc-royal Mechworks and the Eire (Ireland) Battlemech factory

4. Piolted and died in an Atlas, his father piloted an Orion and he died 20 years before the first Omnimechs where build

5. The Combine was indeed founded on New Samarkand

Hybridchild

#4 - is the Orion. Both Nicholas and Alexandsar piloted Orions (See the Orion IIC's entry in the 3060 tech readout), it might have even been the same one.

I don't think it was the same one. After graduating, Constance Kurita gave Theodore Kurita the Orion, it wasn't functional and was basically a shell found by explorers on some asteroid, but they rebuilt the mech into its fully functional working condition before they gave it to Theodore.

Your right its not the same one. for those who have it the Wolf Clan Soursebook says that he died when a large laser blast peirsed the cockpit of his Atlas. The Orion IIC entry says nothing about him piloting an Orion

Hybridchild

Ah really? I only have the technical readouts...except for the one before 3025. That one was just a waste of money, to me exactly the same as the 3025 manual. Would you guys recommend the clan/successor states sourcebooks? I was planning on getting the lostech one next.

Ah really? I only have the technical readouts...except for the one before 3025. That one was just a waste of money, to me exactly the same as the 3025 manual. Would you guys recommend the clan/successor states sourcebooks? I was planning on getting the lostech one next.

If you are into background, sure. They also hold new weapon stats and technical readouts for a couple of new 'Mechs each.

I'll suggest you pick up the sourcebook for your favourite faction and see whether it suits your tastes. They're all written somewhat similarly, only the exact contents differ.

I would recommend getting the Field Manuals. There are new weapons and mech variants in them. The only catch is that after the Draconis Combine FM they switch from mechwarrior 2nd to mechwarrior 3rd edition rpg rules. Also they focus on roughly 3050+ history and more militarily orientated. Coming out IIRC the end of the 1st quarter of this year are rewrites of the original House Source books. The new series starts with House Stiener. This might be more what you are looking for, if you want more of the economic, social, and eduactational information. Also coming out around the same time is a War of 3039 source book which looks like it will be really cool. If you are interested in more new releases goto the New Release section of ClassicBattletech.com.

As for the comment that the 2750 book was just like the 3025 book, it depends on which 3025 you have (before or after the unseens we removed). Also if you look at it, the 2750 book mechs are for the most part different variants of the mechs. 2750 are more advanced techwise. There are er weapons, xl engines, and double heatsinks. For instance tthe Flashman in 2750 has 15 DHS, an XL engine goes 5/8, and has an Antimissile system. The 3025 Flashman has a standard engine goes 4/6, has no AMS, and has 23 SHS.

Ok, next quiz... these should be easy.

#1. Who was the "Specter of Tukkayyid?"

#2. What 2 mechs traditionally stand at the side of the throne on Tharkad in the FC/LA?

#3. What two Generals died during operation: "Serpent"?

#4. Who was Melissa Steiner's father?

#5. The Atlas battlemech was originally produced by Defiance Industries on Hesperus II, what company picked up the design to double production after the Clan invasion started?

Edited by Skull Leader

Ok, next quiz... these should be easy.

#1. Who was the "Specter of Tukkayyid?"

#2. What 2 mechs traditionally stand at the side of the throne on Tharkad in the FC/LA?

#3. What two Generals died during operation: "Serpent"?

#4. Who was Melissa Steiner's father?

#5. The Atlas battlemech was originally produced by Defiance Industries on Hesperus II, what company picked up the design to double production after the Clan invasion started?

#1: can't remember

#2: Griffons. In Steiner Blue.

#3: General Morgan Haesk (could be Haesk-Davion, can't remember if he dropped the Davion suffix) and the General of the Eridani Light Horse.. can't remember her name offhand.

#4: Arthur Luvon. Spelling might be a bit off.

#5: IIRC, Quentin also produces Atlases. Wasn't it Independence or was it GM?

#1 is that a referance to Focht overseeing the whole battle in VR? Its either that or the Goliath Scorpion star that disapperaed and is supposedly haunting the planet

#3 Morgan didnt drop the Davion from his name his son George did, The Commader of the ELH was Arianna Winston

Hybridchild

1.= still up for grabs

2. yes, they were a matched pair of griffins. For a while, Victor Davion had A Crusader and a Maurader. Galen Cox's crusader was decked out in Kell Hound colors and the Maurauder was done in the colors of the 1st Kathil Uhlans.

3. Morgan Hasek-Davion and General Ariana Winston (Morgan was assasinated and if I remember correctly, Winston died in combat)

4. Arthur Luvon sired Melissa Steiner

5. Quintin company on Al-na'ir was the second manufacturing facility to produce the AS7K/J

2. yes, they were a matched pair of griffins. For a while, Victor Davion had A Crusader and a Maurader. Galen Cox's crusader was decked out in Kell Hound colors and the Maurauder was done in the colors of the 1st Kathil Uhlans.

They where then replaced by Hauptmans then by Reseen Griffins

No.1 wasnt Aidan Pryde by any chance?

Hybridchild

3. Morgan Hasek-Davion and General Ariana Winston (Morgan was assasinated and if I remember correctly, Winston died in combat)

Yep, totally right.

I don't think Aidan was the Spectre was he? Since didn't he come on the scene after Tukkayyid? Or maybe I'm wrong.

Vostok 7

He died on Tukkayyid covering the withdrawl of the Falcon Guards, while he was doing it the ComGuards couldnt seem to hit him no matter what they tried, Thats how he became a legend

Hybridchild

Ah, I read some of the Jade Falcon series but I couldn't remember the timeline.

Vostok 7

Wow, you guys were so CLOSE!

The specter of Tukayyid was Star Colonel Kael Pershaw, due to his appearance and the fact that he seemed to appear and dissapear without anyone ever really knowing if he was there or not. It was mentioned in "Falcon Guard" at some point.. I think right before the Falcon Guard drops onto the Prezno plains. Ironically, he also flies in a "specter" scout aircraft for the duration of the mission.

Wow.

Didn't know we got classic battletech/mechwarrior-trivia going on here.

how bout this easy follow-up to the last trivia:

[*] Since you all already know Gen. Winston of the ELH was killed, what mech was she piloting when she got killed?

[*] What is Horse's real name?

edit: friggin kb.

Edited by treatment