Canopy Sanding & Polishing...

asianLove

Just for fun (and to test my building skills) I bought a cheap little 1/72 Itelari A-6 Skyhawk. Not a bad kit for 8 dollars. WeLL... I'm finding it REALLY hard to get the canopy to have that nice "glassy" look. Using 1500 grit "wet" paper. Is it just this hard with a cheap kit or would a vf-1 hasegawa kit be easier to sand and polish the canopy?

What are some tips you guys can give for sanding and polishing a canopy? :)

Oops.. sorry... this should be in the building section... :huh:

Edited by asianLove

1500 isn't fine enough. Start going with 2000, 2500 for starters. That'll make it clear, and glossy enough for most thing. For REALLY crystal-clear, you'll want 4000 to 6000 grit.

Also, do not "skip" grits. Use every grit possible. If you're using 1500, and have 4000, don't skip using the 2000. Use many "intermediate" grits between your first and final sanding.

Finally, for canopies/polishing, I always sand dry. (The only time I wet-sand is for massive heavy mold-seams, like a 3-foot battleship's keel)

Edited by David Hingtgen

The best result I've got so far is with Future.

The most important thing is not to skip grit when using sand papers. However, there is no need to use anything higher than 2000 grit. When you are all done with sanding, rinse and dry the clear part then give it a short bath in Future Floor Polish. Wait at least an hour before touching or masking it. Apply micro polisher or rubbing compound at the end will make it even better. Of course, there is always scratch remover.

:)

Ya. 1500 isn't nearly fine enuff. Use something more than that, I prefer to use my really worned sandpaper of fine grid. Wet sanding is not necessary.

After that polish it will Plastic Liquid Polish like Novus Number 2 and finally (easiest part) coat it with future. Shiny canopy guaranteed!

Pazu

Wow! COoL Tips! To Recap:

Anything over 2000grit is too much. 1500grit isn't enough.

After sanding, use some toothpaste, or rubbing compound.

After toothpaste or rubbing compound, leave in "Future" for 1hr.

What is rubbing compound?

Future is a name brand floor-wax that can be bought at any supermarket, correct?

Thanks for the GREAT suggestions! Sorry about posting in the wrong area. :)

Wow! COoL Tips! To Recap:

Anything over 2000grit is too much. 1500grit isn't enough.

After sanding, use some toothpaste, or rubbing compound.

After toothpaste or rubbing compound, leave in "Future" for 1hr.

What is rubbing compound?

Future is a name brand floor-wax that can be bought at any supermarket, correct?

Thanks for the GREAT suggestions! Sorry about posting in the wrong area. :)

no, 2000 grit is what you start with..

you can buy the rubbing compound thru your local hobby shop.

you don't need to leave it in the floorwax, you just need to dip it...