Q: Yamato 1/60 VF-1A Hikaru v1

ver CO

Thanks no3ljm and jvmacross! Appreciate the input.

Are version 1s prone to breakage? The parts I mean.

EDIT: I noticed the review mentioned different version 1s. Is there a way to tell them apart like in version 2? And yes, I am definitely getting a version 2. *grin

Edited by ver CO

The v1 line aren't a particularly nice toy especially compared to the v2. Chalk and cheese really! I had almost the whole lot of them but I dont think I had any breakages but then again im pretty careful with my stuff. They are more prone to crappiness to be honest! Id probably steer clear of them unless you're getting it either dirt cheap or for free. And im not sure if there are any visual clues in order to tell the difference between updates like with the v2 line.. first I've of it actually!

Edited by spanner76

Thanks spanner76. I'm pretty careful with my stuff to so I hope this one is still in good, if not excellent, shape.

I'm getting it for a little over $33. I suppose that is cheap enough?

I think one of the differences with the first releases of these version 1 VFs was that they could not accommodate the fast packs that were released with later V1.1? releases that came with fast packs.

$33 is pretty good. They are not all too bad in fighter mode. Plus the heft of the diecast on the V1 is something that you will immediately notice is missing from the V2. One of the things I really disliked about the V1 was the sculpt on the VF-1S head...awful....but you have yourself a VF-1A so no worries!

Here is a Yamato catalog with some of the V1 offerings....

http://www.macrosswo...showtopic=41794

Thanks spanner76. I'm pretty careful with my stuff to so I hope this one is still in good, if not excellent, shape.

For $33? Yeah, that's a good price. ;)

Wish all of the upcoming Valks have the same tag price as $33... No? Ok. Ok. $50? :lol:

I just miss the days where everything is less than $100. ^_^

$33 is pretty good! Especially if its in good shape! if it were $133 then that's a straight up no!

I think one of the differences with the first releases of these version 1 VFs was that they could not accommodate the fast packs that were released with later V1.1? releases that came with fast packs.

$33 is pretty good. They are not all too bad in fighter mode. Plus the heft of the diecast on the V1 is something that you will immediately notice is missing from the V2. One of the things I really disliked about the V1 was the sculpt on the VF-1S head...awful....but you have yourself a VF-1A so no worries!

Here is a Yamato catalog with some of the V1 offerings....

http://www.macrosswo...showtopic=41794

Ahhh ok cool. I never had any of the super parts for my old v1 lot..

For $33? Yeah, that's a good price. ;)

Wish all of the upcoming Valks have the same tag price as $33... No? Ok. Ok. $50? :lol:

I just miss the days where everything is less than $100. ^_^

I remember seeing a few v2 VF-1 that had sold on Mandarake for around 4000 yen!!! sheesh! where was I when things were being given away!

http://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1010102690&ref=list

http://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1002489812&ref=list

And there were a few v1 which sold for half those prices!

Thanks all. And noted jenius. Good to know I'm getting a great deal. :) And thanks jvmacross, now I have to add the Protect Gear to my list. *sigh* lol Seems I also need to check Mandarake for these. I was hoping to stop with a v2 Super 1J but the GBP armor is very tempting.

Also, the review mentions yellowing. The only way I know to remove yellowing is by exposing the part to sunlight. Anyway that can be fixed without hurting the rest of the colored parts? Like the insignia or stripe?

Wait. Exposing to more sunlight will make the parts more yellow. Makes it worse if you do that. You know about UV rays, right? ^_^

Toys and collectibles should be kept in the dark. Hehehe. :lol:

Btw, get the GBP while it's still cheap for pre-ordering. ;)

Edited by no3ljm

Finally got it:
11144976_1566709946917510_52549485811741

A number of parts are yellowed, stickers are peeling and the gunpod's tip is missing. And really dusty too. Nothing big I think.

I think I'll either scratchbuild a gunpod or buy one off eBay. But how do I fix the yellowed parts? And does anyone sell decals like Reprolabels do for Transformer toys?

Thanks!

whoa! look at that yellowing! its quite intense eh! you need to push the chest piece down a little further..

It should be easy enough to just dismantle the legs and paint those parts to match. Or you could brush paint the landing gear doors white.

Finding a gun pod might be tough, I've tried before but no one seemed to have or want to let one go.. Im sure you can find decals from somewhere. You can get them printed easy enough too.

But for $33 you've done quite well considering!

I guess sunlight only works on decals then. lol

$200 is already cheap for the GBP?

http://www.arcadia.ac/products/detail.php?gid=212

As of today's pricing and all, that $200 set is already cheap. 2 years ago, that same VF-1J without the GBP is selling for about $300-500 over eBay. :unsure:

So I'm thankful that Arcadia planned on rereleasing it even the 'goggles' is not grey like the first Yamato release. :rolleyes:

whoa! look at that yellowing! its quite intense eh! you need to push the chest piece down a little further..

It should be easy enough to just dismantle the legs and paint those parts to match. Or you could brush paint the landing gear doors white.

Finding a gun pod might be tough, I've tried before but no one seemed to have or want to let one go.. Im sure you can find decals from somewhere. You can get them printed easy enough too.

But for $33 you've done quite well considering!

Thanks! I guess I'll opt to get the gun pod printed then. Would you know where I can get an image to reference the decals? Maybe I can get them printed on decal paper. Scratch that, I still have decals from the Hasegawa kits. :)

As of today's pricing and all, that $200 set is already cheap. 2 years ago, that same VF-1J without the GBP is selling for about $300-500 over eBay. :unsure:

So I'm thankful that Arcadia planned on rereleasing it even the 'goggles' is not grey like the first Yamato release. :rolleyes:

So that's the only difference? Then I guess it is going to be worth it. Thanks no3ljm!

Segue: I used to have a couple of grunt VF-1As a few years back, but had to sell them. From a collector's point of view, are Yamatos more valuable than Arcadia releases?

Edited by ver CO

11144976_1566709946917510_52549485811741

I didn't notice it the first time but looking at this picture again its funny how only one of the larger landing gear doors has yellowed and the other has not.. I wonder if its due to errors when mixing up the materials before casting!?

Not very good Q.C. Yamato..

Even if you carefully brush painted over the yellowed parts im sure it would still look ok. And yeah the Hasegawa decals should work fine!

*snip*

So that's the only difference? Then I guess it is going to be worth it. Thanks no3ljm!

Segue: I used to have a couple of grunt VF-1As a few years back, but had to sell them. From a collector's point of view, are Yamatos more valuable than Arcadia releases?

Yup, that's the big difference from the last Yamato release and the upcoming Arcadia one. And right now, we're not sure if the "1" on the chest will be tampo printed or not. But rest assured it will still come with 'stickers'. ;)

To answer your question regarding Yamato value over Arcadia. Think of this way, Arcadia just started doing Macross 2 years (?) ago after Yamato folded and getting, most probably bought the molds from them. And the only 'new' molds that they did as of now is the YF-19 and the VF-0D. The only releases they did using the old molds are the VF-1S, VF-1J, and the ever-famous VF-19 with Sound Booster. And doing a lesser quantity producing it. Value-wise, to this date, it's almost the same with the other variants from Yamato releases. That's after-market prices. And we're just talking about the VF-1S Roy and Hikaru counterparts. Unless, you ask about the VF-1D, VT-1, VF-4G, and so on and so forth, then that's a different story. Those Yamato releases are very valuable from a collector's point of view. That's why a lot of us here wishes Arcadia to somehow rerelease those so that people who doesn't have a copy, or for new collectors, or collectors who still want to have another VF-4G in their cabinet, will get it at MSRP price. ^_^

But either way, IMHO, any Macross toy releases, as long that it's not released by HG, is valuable. :lol:

It is odd that certain pieces yellow. Maybe you can repaint it.

I didn't notice it the first time but looking at this picture again its funny how only one of the larger landing gear doors has yellowed and the other has not.. I wonder if its due to errors when mixing up the materials before casting!?

Same for the missles, one or two would be yellowed, vice versa. Thanks spanner76, dapro!

But either way, IMHO, any Macross toy releases, as long that it's not released by HG, is valuable. :lol:

lol Thanks for explaining, no3ljm! I've already asked my supplier to sign me up for Arcadia's release, then that's it for me.

After I get a Super/Strike pack set that is. hahaha

Edited by ver CO