Studio halfeye vf-5000b

frankell05

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I recently acquired a vf-5000b ver 1 kit. I was wondering if anyone has any resources on how to deal with the problems of building this kit?

any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mine is tucked away in the closet. What problems are you referring to?

Mine is tucked away in the closet. What problems are you referring to?

I had read somewhere that the kit required a lot of modification to build properly. I actually already put it together, and didn't really have any major problems. Granted my experience is limited, so the end product is not ideal ( alot of parts are misaligned and some stuff is way too loose, but what can I do? The only thing I am curious though is about what kind of putty can you use if you want to cover up a screw hole and re drill to adjust the fit better. If you have any recommendations I'd be curious. Oh and if your interested in selling that vf-5000b for a good price I'd be curious about that as well? you wanna sell it? eh?

I had read somewhere that the kit required a lot of modification to build properly. I actually already put it together, and didn't really have any major problems. Granted my experience is limited, so the end product is not ideal ( alot of parts are misaligned and some stuff is way too loose, but what can I do? The only thing I am curious though is about what kind of putty can you use if you want to cover up a screw hole and re drill to adjust the fit better. If you have any recommendations I'd be curious. Oh and if your interested in selling that vf-5000b for a good price I'd be curious about that as well? you wanna sell it? eh?

Since I haven't built mine, I have no idea. And I don't have any ideas about covering screw holes. I would probably try some two part putty and try to form a piece to fit the hole if I could, but having only recently started messing with the stuff, I don't know how well that would work. Surely someone form the workshop section would have an idea?

And, nope, not selling my only VF-5000 model/toy :). Someday I shall built it, this I swear! lol

posting pictures of it would go a long-way.

covering screw hole: Two part putty, modelling putty, will work. Some two part putty do shrink though, so it is always better to let them fully cured before painting to be sure.

Drilling: Get some pin vise and some drill bits that is match to hole you are creating.

I think those are the reason why I usually stay away from Resin kits, Aside from adding new materials, it also requires a higher level of modeling skills.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually prefer resin kits lately. One thing that I've learned here on MW from mechtech and really liked is the CA glue with talcum powder, I think someone else mentioned baking soda, as a filler. I use it as a gap filler, it goes on pretty neat and I can wipe off the excess with a moist paper towel or cloth. You can probably use it as a filler for a screw hole and then smooth off the top with modeling putty. The one thing I try to avoid is sanding CA glue.

I actually prefer resin kits lately. One thing that I've learned here on MW from mechtech and really liked is the CA glue with talcum powder, I think someone else mentioned baking soda, as a filler. I use it as a gap filler, it goes on pretty neat and I can wipe off the excess with a moist paper towel or cloth. You can probably use it as a filler for a screw hole and then smooth off the top with modeling putty. The one thing I try to avoid is sanding CA glue.

I would think baking soda would work well as a filler too, hell sawdust would work :). But yeah, sanding CA would not be fun.

I haven't built any of my resin kits yet, I'm still scared :p.

I've never tried CA with baking soda, but that's not a bad idea. I've sanded CA glue on Warhammer figures and I usually start sanding before it dries, which seems to work well.

I suppose that the dust from sanding was actually acting like the baking soda and filling the gap as the glue dried. Hmm.