Casting/molding you own parts?

Wiz13688

Anyone know of a easy to use castling molding kit to cast parts? Here's my problem. The 1/500 Bandai Yamato Hanger Bay expansion set comes with 32 Cosmo Falcon fighters. They are molded in 2 pieces as seen in the photo here:

P1000576_zps50a27e11.jpg

Since they assume that most of the fighters will be mounted on the hangar bay assembly (not needing the bottom piece). They only provided 4 bottom pieces to 32 top pieces as seen in the instruction:

P1000577_zps518cd162.jpg

If I ever want to display the kit with more than 4 fighters in flight mode (thinking about putting them on clear plastic rods originating from the display stand). Any additional fighters will be missing the bottom piece unless I cast/mold extra bottom pieces for them. I have never done this before so I'm looking for advise like which kit to use or if there is any tutorial video around. Thanks for all the help.

The easiest way to recast a small part like that is to use mold putty like kneadatite... also known as green stuff. You press the putty on each side to make a 2 part mold and then use the same putty to make the part. Use vaseline or talcum powder to keep parts separate. Look for kneadatite or green stuff putty tutorials on youtube for better instructions.

If you want to spend a little bit more, there's this moldmaking substance called instant mold. It's like a waxy substance that you melt in hot water and press on the original part. You can use it over and over again for a while, and then use green stuff to make the part. Again, search youtube for a proper tutorial and you'll see what I mean. Good luck!

Can't go wrong with Smooth-On... They also have a mold putty that you can mix by hand.

I was just suggesting cheaper material that you can get from hobby shops. Since you need over 30 pieces it's probably best for you to do more than one at once.

Thanks guys. I'll go take a look at the Smooth-On stuff. One more question, How to treat the parts once they come of the mold. Are they just like plastic or are they softer. Do you still just wash it in soap to clean off the surface then just prime and paint as usual?

he only needs to make one-sided molds. Sounds crazy but cuz I am lazy i just use mold putty mixed one to one by hand, press the putty onto the piece on a flat surface, then make molds from the impression.

dont get cheap quick resins like alumilite unless you love bubbles. I use smooth on and after a pour into the one piece i cheat by putting the mold against a large flat surface like a cd-case. After cure, very minimal cept for some flash that got between the mold and the flat surface. This only works for one piece molds, two piecers are a whole different ball game

he only needs to make one-sided molds. Sounds crazy but cuz I am lazy i just use mold putty mixed one to one by hand, press the putty onto the piece on a flat surface, then make molds from the impression.

dont get cheap quick resins like alumilite unless you love bubbles. I use smooth on and after a pour into the one piece i cheat by putting the mold against a large flat surface like a cd-case. After cure, very minimal cept for some flash that got between the mold and the flat surface. This only works for one piece molds, two piecers are a whole different ball game

Bubbles? My experience with Smooth-On is that the stuff may be carbonated. So many bubbles.... :blink:

I'm a fan of PolyTek's resins, but Smooth-On does make good mold rubber.

You'll need some sort of mold release, I've used WD-40 or talcum powder. So yes, you would need to wash the parts after they cured. The resin is like plastic, but, you would need CA glue (crazy glue) to put it together. Other than that, prime and paint.