1/48 parts re-cast, questions about materials etc.

Kinzoku VF

Hey there everyone,

A few quick words before I start with my questions/requests.

I got the Macross bug ( -_-);. I only used to have 4 vintage Macross toys as part of my collection (I mainly collect vintage Japanese Robots (Popy, Clover, etc..). As a kid growing up in the 80's I used to love Robotech, but never imagined I would get so obsessed about it decades later!!

A few months ago, I got a lot of three 1/60 ver 1....got hooked !!!! and I mean totally addicted :( ... I've completely stopped getting vintage stuff, and since then only bought Macross toys....

O.K that was just a quick intro as I'm fairly new to this forum!

Right, first, I have some questions about the type of plastic/material used by Yamato in their 1/48 , 1/60 range. It's probably been discussed many times, but I'd like more specific info if possible.

The first ones they released, like the old 1/72 YF-21 and VF-19 A etc have completely different material.The plastic is much thicker, it's glossy etc (yes, manufacturing was far from perfect,hinges would break etc... but at least plastic-wise it was thick and SOLID!! and felt more like a 'toy').

Then it completely changed,with later releases (WHY???!!). The Ver 1 1/60, the 1/48 etc all have that mat plastic, very thin that looks and is (in my opinion) brittle. Feels more akin to model kit/Gunpla type of material? Am I right or is that material actually very strong?

Does anyone know what type of plastic the 1/48 etc is? Is it solid? (I already broke the back of 1 of my 1/48 and have some little cracks appearing on some parts so I suppose I've got my answer!).

I don't really know much (aside from what I read on the web) about the differences between ABS, Pom etc. I've got no clue as to what material they use for their 1/48, 1/60 range is it POM, ABS, or just plain 'crappy' plastic? Does anyone know?

Another example I just got a Queadlunn-Rau figure,and again, totally different plastic, it's thick, it's shiny, feels super sturdy. You can 'play with it' without having your heart stopping every time you move a part.

Is it the same plastic as the 1/48 but just glossy? Or is it a completely different material all together?

I mean, why can't they do the 1/48 etc using that type of plastic? Or is the one used just as solid?

I am curious and interested (the manufacturing,engineering of these toys is really intricate and I would like to learn more about it).

On a separate note,even though I'm totally into these 'models' (I would not call them toys), I still feel that they are WAY overpriced compared to other high end figures such as the Bandai SOC line for example.Loads of die-cast, heavy 'playable' (yes, they also have issues but you do feel you get more for your money compared to Yamato/Arcadia).

I cannot wait for a Robotech/Macross movie to come out so that we finally get some 'proper' toys' at an affordable price!! Then maybe the value of the Yamatos/Arcadia would plummit down the drain! And they would finally retail for what they are really worth! I mean $100.00 for a 1/48 is just about right imo. Makes me cringe everytime I buy one for more than that.(which is most of the time if you buy them new!!)

Last BUT not least, does anyone here can get some recast done of the most fragile parts of the 1/48? I saw a video about some spare re-cast parts for the 1/60 V2 shoulder hinges. So I assume it's got to be possible to get the parts done for the 1/48 range.

Example: BP7, BP8, (backpack bits) and other parts like BD4/5, (shoulder hinges) etc.

I really would like to get my hands on some of these parts for repairs and eventual breackages. I'm so paranoid since I broke that 1/48, now I keep checking all articulations, joints etc for any signs of hairline cracks etc..Very sad, for the price I pay, really, I should not have to feel that way when handling these figures!

Any advice and answer about the material used and especially re-cast bits would be more than appreciated.

Appologies for the long message I just got carried away, but if you did read until here, cheers for sticking up with my rambling m(_ _)m

Thanks in advance!!

Welcome Kinzoku VF! The toys are typically made with ABS plastic, and some components can be other types like POM. Typically they are ABS. The thing about ABS as others will testify, it has many different formulations. Glossy isn't always an indication of quality, just mold finish. Flat finishes can signal an inferior grade of resin or a lack of effort put into the over-all toy project (smoother finishes take more time to engineer/machine into a mold).

I'm seconding Jenius's comment on the H-Metal VF's. They are well proportioned and hey, have more metal as you can guess.

Being a model guy myself, I have to ask, have you tried some of the simpler model kits? Some don't need glue and they are a cheaper way to get some of the models of mecha you like. Bandai has some simpler kits that anyone can assemble easily. I hope that helps! - MT

Well...first thanks a lot for your replies! Mech Tech, thanks for the info, I wasn't exactly sure as far as type of plastics, and glad to know now. Made me look more into it as I find it oddly fascinating.

Cheers Jenius too. Yes, I do want to get some MFrontier pieces....BUT, I'm really dreading it...I already have a big enough obsession with the 'standards'VFs'...I know myself, if I get one, I won't stop..it'll be 5 or more (;_;). They look really slick for sure,but still have a soft spot for the more 'realistic' looking VF though. The Hi Metal, well, shame that their prices are so steep , been trying to find a cheap one, but no luck as yet!

And for the parts, thanks EXO for the link to the recent post regarding the issue, much appreciated.! (going to investigate asap!)

Any more advice etc always welcome. Cheers guys. I did not think I'd get more than 1 reply,if any!!