Macross vs Robotech debate (or is it a debace?)...my thoughts

VF1J_Blue

To the mods: Not starting a fight here, just throwing my thoughts out.

I started off in anime like everyone else in the 80s....GI Joe, Transformers, Ultraman (OK OK, it's live action, but com'n, where else did we get some Japanaese love?).

In College I came across Robotech ep1 in a video store, and figured it was worth checking out. That began my descent (hah :D) into Mecha. I can remember clearly the day I found the Robotech Art book (including episode guide)....the images just blew me away.

Since then I've been a mecha nut. Period. Got into Warhammer 40k 'cos of ...geez..Space Marines? Battle armor? Yowza!

Battletech. You name it.

In between, I caught a small portion of MDYRL?....WOW...the artwork made Robotech look like some ancient cartoon. Then I finally was introduced to Macross (anime mags), but anime at that time was hideously expensive ($40/VHS), and I wasn't heading in the black market direction.

25 years later, I finally get to watch Macross, the updated/remastered version. WOW! I was aware Harmony Gold chopped-up Macross, and I always thought there were holes in the story (even Jack McKinney's novels, while great, seemed to be missing stuff). Incredible...the story's so rich, just awesome.

But...as a parent now, no, forget that, as an adult now, I can see why Carl Macek/Harmony Gold made the decision to cut up Macross. You simply have to remember that, during the 80s, Macross wouldn't've been aired. Period. Waaay too many 'adult' situations (alcohol consumption, shower scene, etc) that wouldn't've made it past the censors.

So, to sum up, Macross is incredible, great story.

I think the purist, Harmony Gold/Macek-haters need to understand...if it wasn't for Macek stepping forward, many of us wouldn't've known about Macross, much less anime.

Ironically, I just caught the Macross Memories feature on the last disc...and whaddya know? They talk about how Robotech inspired many people to find out about Macross.

And, well, $1.5mm Robotech Tactics kickstarter speaks for itself (Thanks Palladium/Ninja division for finally giving us those action figures we could actually do battle with!!!).

I guess what I'm trying to say, can the hate, and let's all enjoy Macross and Robotech for what they've brought us, and brought to animation/anime.

.......allright allright, it's all about the VERITICHS!!!! OK!?!?! I said it!!!! There! :D

Umm, You might want to check out other cartoons that aired in the early '80s again. About the only thing that Macross had that wouldn't have made it past the censors was the shower scene (and even then...).