Noob Vs. Models Vol. 2 1/100 ARII VF-1A

Benson13

I had to take a break from this one but I'm back at it. I'll be posting some updates shortly. Even though I've messed this one up quite a bit I've learned a lot about what not to do. I have a VF-2SS kit I want to build but wanted to level up my skills first and this is definitely helping.

I decided that I was gonna slap some Promodeler's Wash on it and this is what I used to get the job done. First is a small saucer with a little bit of water in it and the second is ordinary kitchen napkins. Exciting I know.

photobucket-47027-1341942033831.jpg

I then took a biggest paint brush I had (a number 12) and dunked it the wash and brushed it on really thick. After that all you have to do is wait until it dries (about 25 min) and then wipe it off.

photobucket-51785-1341940215908.jpg

The wetter the napkin the more you're going to remove. What I did was dip my fingers in the water and then wiped them off on the napkin and it gave me the look I wanted. This same technique worked great on a Bandai V.1 VF-25S.

Pretty simple work for good results, ne?

For the harder to reach areas, I like to use a damp Q-tip. What's also nice, is if you properly affix your decals, you can put that right over the top of them, and get the wash effect over the decal, making the decal look more like a paint application.

Lookin good benson! That wash makes a huge difference because of the nearly all white scheme. Breaks up the flat areas nicely and pops the details. You are really showing a good process to your builds and it looks like you are learning a lot as you go. Keep up the good work! I'll be interested to see your next project.

Thanks Jardann. I'm trying to get better. I'm still a little hesitant to start the VF-2SS, if for some reason I screw it up I can't afford another.

Thanks Jardann. I'm trying to get better. I'm still a little hesitant to start the VF-2SS, if for some reason I screw it up I can't afford another.

The VF-2SS is a fairly straightforward kit, and shouldn't be that hard to assemble. Just take care of:

- there's more excess molding flash on the parts than later kits

- leg landing gear doors - take care when putting them in (for some reason I ended up putting one in backwards. In rectifying the problem, one of the axle pegs broke on it. Not a major problem... just frustrating because the instructions weren't 100% clear at that point)

Post assembly is where it gets tricky - and why I suggest doing a dry fit before slapping on the glue.

- shoulder joints: it's an ingenious design, but due to the construction of the actual shoulder joints, they have a tendency to pop apart when rotating the arms on the joint. Something about the parts being made from a softer plastic or something.

- painting/washes: I did the panel lines with a fine point oil-based pen (aka Gundam marker), and there are a couple of spots where dis-assembling the section was the only way to remove excess ink to get the lines to look right (the stored wings and the backpack mounting plate is what's really coming to mind right now).

Other than that, the (unpainted, unglued) kit came out quite nice, and the stickers were a nice change from the recent Bandai MF line ones. Nice, bold colours, not transparent, and no excess clear plastic around their border. My only complaints are the nose has a tendency to slide out in battroid, the head lasers pop out too easily, and the aforementioned shoulders (not exactly weak in permanently broken, just annoying that they have to be reassembled almost every time the arm is rotated on the joint).

Edited by sketchley

If you do have issues with it, I will happily give you the one that I have. :)

Mine's been sitting in a box ever since I bought it 15 or so years ago.

Edited by Capt Hungry

If you do have issues with it, I will happily give you the one that I have. :)

Mine's been sitting in a box ever since I bought it 15 or so years ago.

Thanks bro, I appreciate that.

Looking good so far. I'm going to have to buy some of that wash. I tried using the regular mix I use and it just doesn't cut the mustard. Keep up the good work and posts! - MT

• 2 months later...

Very nice start. I was going to tackle the

same kit... Before I try my Hasegawa ones. I just got my new airbrush, and bought similar supplies Mr. Cheng uses for his washes... never did them before. What brand and type of wash are you using???

Very nice start. I was going to tackle the

same kit... Before I try my Hasegawa ones. I just got my new airbrush, and bought similar supplies Mr. Cheng uses for his washes... never did them before. What brand and type of wash are you using???

I used Promodeller's Wash. It can be purchased here if you are interested http://www.florymodels.co.uk/.