Theatrical, Director's, Extended, Unrated, and Special

Duke Togo

Except that "is" the original version, the shorter edit was done the U.S. theatrical release. The dub is a bit jarring regardless.

Yeah, I was rather surprised they left the audio untouched. Take a look at Lawrence of Arabia; they did a brilliant job making the re-recorded dialog seem like it was the original.

What's funny is, Jackson said there are even MORE scenes that were filmed that were NOT added to the extended scenes. He joked about releasing another version of the Trilogy, with ALL the cut scenes added. So, instead of making a day out of it, you'd probably need to take a week off work to get through all those! :lol:

Yeah, that was funny wasn't it, he joked it was going to be for the 50th anniversary or something like that. Tell you what, he might joke about it now but you never know.......

Yeah, I was rather surprised they left the audio untouched. Take a look at Lawrence of Arabia; they did a brilliant job making the re-recorded dialog seem like it was the original.

Which version was that for?

Yeah, that was funny wasn't it, he joked it was going to be for the 50th anniversary or something like that. Tell you what, he might joke about it now but you never know.......

Which version was that for?

The restored version, which is the only version you can find now. I dare you to find the scenes new audio was recorded for.

The restored version, which is the only version you can find now. I dare you to find the scenes new audio was recorded for.

Heh. I wouldn't want to try. I love the film too much. Can't wait for the Blu-Ray, should be good. They have released "Bridge over the River Kwai" late last year.

Edited by taksraven

Except that "is" the original version, the shorter edit was done the U.S. theatrical release. The dub is a bit jarring regardless.

Yeah, but that theatrical release is how it came to be released into the wider world, isn't it? I mean my old VHS of the film is from the UK and it has exactly the same length as the american release.

Anyway, whatever the release, I think you agree with my point that sometimes, trying to upgrade films so many years after their original release, is a double edged sword.

• 3 years later...

Hey March, get your backside in gear and see the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven.

And while I'm here, rumors abound once again that Disney is prepping the original, unaltered Trilogy for release. I'm not going to hold my breath, though, and continue to refuse to watch anything but Harmy's despecialized editions.