Macross VF-X

Neova

I was watching Macross Memorial and saw the anime footage for VFX/VFX2. I don't have a PS so didn't know about this but it appeared to be a "remake" of Macross TV and DYRL with much much better artwork. The backgrounds along were pure sensory overload and breathtaking (have not watch Macross Zero yet so cannot compare both).

I was wondering if Kawamori-San or Big West have / had considered fleshing out the VFX series into an full featured Anime? I would love to see this. Actually, I would like to see the TV series updated with the same art quality but the same story / timeline.

VERY doubtful since the whole story is told in each video game. VFX was not that great of a game either. Your basically an elite fighter group going after terrorist Zentradies who've kidnapped a popular idol group "Milky Dolls" and now you must go and rescue each one. On your final mission with all the girls together again you undertake a "DYRL" like setting were you go flying thru a straight tunnel basically without any sort of control and just firing missiles if you want too left and right, during specific moments of that mission there are cut scenes of the girls, at the end you shoot up the leader and finally go against his micronized ace pilot whose hard to beat, beat him and the game ends with the girls singing at the memorial festival.

VFX-2 your a new ace pilot Aegis Fokker (possibly not related to Roy...) apart of the same elite unit as the last game and must unfold a weird lil story which leads you to go against the Macross 13 battle cruiser with one of the most stunning FMV's of the game. VFX-2 was also going to appear in america but Harmony Gold and Digimon put a hold to that. Digimon got to be released during the christmas holiday of 99 and not VFX-2 since Digimon was becoming a wide hit, while Macross generation were already adults...

Hikaro and Azrael,

Thanks for the summaries. It was VFX2 then where I saw that amazing FMV clip of the VFX team go up against the Macross 13 with its 4 Macross Cannons. Beautiful.

Guess I would need to buy the games, a ps2 to usb adapter, game pad and download an emulator to experience the full effects. :D

Actually, Kawamori and company were planning to flesh out the VFX idea with it's own series. Fortunately, it got scrapped. Why fortunately? It was going to be entirely CG, including the characters, and it looked like really bad CG. Aside from the CG they took straight from the games, it looked terrible. I wouldn't be opposed to Kawamori going back to thise idea, but not entirely in CG, at least make the characters and backgrounds 2D like Macross Zero.