Import Macross DVD

Kicker773

That's the old Emotion Japanese release. I always wanted those but they were prohibitively expensive. They look beautiful, I would get them if I found them cheap enough. In fact I think I did see one of the three boxes recently, but it was still priced high. The new remastered box set is much more affordable, plus the visuals of the show itself look like they are "supposed to". It's more of a preference of packaging design, for me.

Although as the Lone Wolf says, you can get subbed Animeigo ones, even though they are like ten years old now. The remastering on that looks a bit too vibrant for my tastes.

The box set I own is the Australian Madman release. As I understand it, they just licensed the Animeigo masters. That keeps me satisfied inasmuch as the physical owning of the show itself, plus it has that Ishiguro interview on it.

However, as a collector, I would like to one day have either that DVD set or the LD releases.

The new remastered box set is much more affordable, plus the visuals of the show itself look like they are "supposed to".

What specifically is this new remastered HD set? I'm looking to get the original series on DVD, and I'm trying to get a sense of what my options are...

What specifically is this new remastered HD set? I'm looking to get the original series on DVD, and I'm trying to get a sense of what my options are...

There were 2 different releases of Macross TV on DVD in Japan. One released in 2000 and one released in 2008. The 2008 release is the one that was remastered from the original 16mm positives. That's the one to get if you can find it.

There was also a US release of Macross TV. One by AnimEigo and one by ADV Films. The AnimEigo release dates back to 2001 and was a digital restoration of the masters used by Harmony Gold. At the time, it was considered to be the best video representation of Macross (until the 2008 Japanese release). After AnimEigo's license expired, ADV Films picked up the rights and the restored masters. ADV released their set in 2006. The AnimEigo set comes with English subtitles but no English dub. The ADV set comes with both. Both the AnimEigo release and ADV release can still be found on the cheap.

I have the ADV set which included the new generation and mospeada collection.So if I have that there is no need for me to even pick up the AnimEgo set? As far as quality wise the Emotion version is it better? I picked up a set of the Emotion one because it was too good of a price to pass up. What exactly does the jpn 2008 version cover look like?

I have the ADV set which included the new generation and mospeada collection.So if I have that there is no need for me to even pick up the AnimEgo set? As far as quality wise the Emotion version is it better? I picked up a set of the Emotion one because it was too good of a price to pass up. What exactly does the jpn 2008 version cover look like?

If you have the ADV set, there's really no need to get the AnimEigo set. They both use the same masters. Some say the audio quality is slightly better on the AnimEigo set since disc space isn't used for the dub track.

Is the Emotion set better? That depends on one's view. One thing you should know is that both the Emotion set and 2008 remastered set does not include English subtitles. As for video quality, the 2000 Emotion set is probably decent. Better than the AnimEigo/ADV set? That depends on whether you feel that the mastering done by AnimEigo was overdone or not. Some feel that the colors on the AnimEigo/ADV releases are a bit off.

Here's what the 2008 Japanese remaster set looks like:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-3169