Macross Live Action fan project

macrossgino

The battle scars are a great concept, but I think you went overboard on them. I'd just reduce them a bit. I do especially like the burn marks on the one side of the model, though.

I agree.

and it must be a hero mecha, so many hits and didn't explode!!! LOL.

I guess it could look more realistic without the grainy bump-map and no battle scars, i not sure how the air force or the navy works, but i think they must repair all the equipments after every mission, afterall it is a multi-million dollar weapon.

Edited by akt_m

The battle scars are a great concept, but I think you went overboard on them. I'd just reduce them a bit. I do especially like the burn marks on the one side of the model, though.

Yeah, logically the pilot would dump the super packs with that much damage, since they'd be useless...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New finished Model!

I like the model, the WIP version is very nice. But in my opinion, that bump mapping is not doing any justice to your geometry. First of all, given the size of the Macross, most of the greebles and panel lines would be near invisible at that distance. The thing is over a kilometer long, so the seams between armor panels would be invisible at the distance that image is taken from. Your bump mapping, however, is so strong that not only the seams visible, but they appear to be chasms. Easily large enough for people to fall into and die! Meanwhile, the rail guns are so badly dented by the bump map, that it looks like they've been destroyed in battle, crumpled by an even larger mecha's fist. From looking at the untextured WIPs, I know that your geometry is way better than that, so, again, I have to conclude it's the strength of your bump maps. For reference on how panel lines might appear from a distance, check out any photos of naval vessels. More often than not, at that distance (100 to 500 meters), the different panels wind up just looking like slightly different colored patches, if they're distinguishable at all.

Anyway, to reiterate, I really like the models you've been posting. But I feel like the bump maps are generally (also on the battle damaged VF-1) a bit too strong, and maybe too low resolution, so that I'm seeing pixels and chunks where I would expect to see smoothness unless I was very close up.

That said, you seem to be pumping out models a lot faster than I am right now! Congrats on that!

Okay, I'm excited for your project! One suggestion: that Macross cannon blast should be illuminating the front of the Macross, it looks like it's still only being lot by the sun and the sky. I apologize if you're already planning that, and I'm just pointing out the obvious.

Have to say it is a nice model and such a lot of hard work put into it. But it looks like the bump mapping really reduced its quality. It looks legoish from the bump mapping making the quality of the model reduced. But really is a lot of fantastic work on the model.

Also to comment on the video. I like the animation to the firing it seems to line up really well. But i noticed it doesn't have the particle charge on the cannons like in the original animations.

I have to re=assure you that i like all the hard work you have done and everything. I also love all the models you have made and the art work on most of them. Just the SDF seems to be more like a lego after the bump mapping.

Also to comment on the video. I like the animation to the firing it seems to line up really well. But i noticed it doesn't have the particle charge on the cannons like in the original animations.

We have a version of the video with particles. But its not yet avalible for the public ;)

I have to re=assure you that i like all the hard work you have done and everything. I also love all the models you have made and the art work on most of them. Just the SDF seems to be more like a lego after the bump mapping.

You are the second to said that it looks lego like. We apreciate your critiques but we are not trying to do a perfect live reproduction of the macross world. Nobody actually know how every ship looks in a real world scenario. The result you see is how team fells it should look like.

^_^

Yeah, I feel like I want to add that I'm impressed by all the cool stuff you're generating. It's really promising, so that's why I've been coming at you with serious critiques.

Thanks for your critiques. We hope to see each other final result :D

Wip

Finished 3D model

ASas.jpg

dfsdgsdg.jpg

dfsg.jpg

rwe.jpg

Edited by macrossgino

You are the second to said that it looks lego like. We apreciate your critiques but we are not trying to do a perfect live reproduction of the macross world. Nobody actually know how every ship looks in a real world scenario. The result you see is how team fells it should look like.

^_^

Well I was just commenting how it looks lego like and how that stands out from the rest of the other types of ships. Having detail is great but it didn't seem to match well with the other items previewed so far. Not to mention we do have a bit of knowledge of how aircraft carriers do look. To me it just seemed odd and didn't match up with other works and to be honest I am not privy to the entire project but it was something I was trained to do in the game industry which was to make sure the flow of the animations and models matched each other and did not look out of place.

By the way great looking ship you just posted.

Edited by Darrtallion

IMHO, smaller ocean waves would make it look more realistic and the texture used for bumpmap should be a lot more high res so it can produce more sharper and tinier details.

I agree... or the waves need to move MUCH more slowly

Your Meltran ship looks pretty decent WITH the bump-mapping, though! Although, it doesn't fall terribly into line with the lineart. Creative changes work okay with this one, imo... NOT with the SDF-1. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments! :lol:

New finished model ;)

dsg.jpg

fhd.jpg

You guys are wicked fast with your modeling. Really impressive. I like the cockpit a lot.

I'm sure somebody is going to mention that the dials and readouts are not canon for the Block-6 cockpit layout. Personally, I don't mind that much, although I did notice it immediately. I don't think it's going to hurt your storytelling at all, just might ruffle some feathers.

Still, keep it up...

Any chance we'll see something having to do with the storyline soon? Even just a hint?

I think he's mentioned something about selectively using designs between DYRL and SDFM. I mean, he's posted an SDF-1 with SDFM colors and also has a Meltran Gun Destroyer in his works.

Thats right! ;)

Any chance we'll see something having to do with the storyline soon? Even just a hint?

We are currently working in the intro ^_^

New wip! B))

hkg.jpg

fgddh.jpg

fewf.jpg

dgsgd.jpg

dgsdg.jpg

dgdg.jpg