Earth Defense Force

Moly_Sigang

http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/09/29/sam-raimi-and-warner-bros-starting-an-earth-defense-force/

"In 'EDF,' we open on a U.S. military operation gone awry: Sent to rescue what they believe is a sub that's accidentally bumped into a mine in Chinese waters, U.S. naval aviators quickly wind up engaged in a dogfight with a squadron of Chinese air force pilots. Soon, planes on both sides are being shot out of the sky, but not by the Chinese or US pilots, but by three alien attack fighters, which soon depart and destroy many of the world's landmarks and military installations, then, vanish. It's a test of Earth's defensive capabilities, and we failed. Shortly after, NASA detects a radiation signature in a nearby galaxy, indicating a far more massive attack coming in about ten months, and world leaders set about trying to create super-aircraft and weapons that can fight off the coming invasion."

Their description of this project is a mixture of Top Gun, Independence Day and The Last Starfighter. From the outline of the plot there makes me think this movie will have a bit of Robotech/Macross influence, though i'm not expecting any planes that transform into robots or singing. If Sam Raimi isn't directing this, who do you think should?

http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/09/29/sam-raimi-and-warner-bros-starting-an-earth-defense-force/

Their description of this project is a mixture of Top Gun, Independence Day and The Last Starfighter. From the outline of the plot there makes me think this movie will have a bit of Robotech/Macross influence, though i'm not expecting any planes that transform into robots or singing. If Sam Raimi isn't directing this, who do you think should?

TOMMY YUNE. Obviously.

I'm more interested in the Earth Defense Force game than the movie.

While Earth Defense Force games have been released under various titles that include "Monster Attack" and "Global Defense Force", D3 tells Kotaku that is has a copyright on "Earth Defense Force". This could become complicated for the EDF film with new Earth Defense Force game next year.

Edited by Einherjar

There was a game on SNES called EDF. Was a side scrolling shooter.

Yeah, that's the only EDF I know. :lol:

As for it being a generic name, yeah I can see why people would think that (it even sounds like a parody!), but at the end of the day what might seem done-to-death for us geeks is still fresh and snappy to the general public to whom this movie should appeal.