Dominion Tank Police

wakobi

New Tank Police and Tank Police have pretty much the same characters, but I think most people would agree with me when I say that the original was much, much better. It was also based off the original comics (loosely... very loosely) whereas the New Tank Police series isn't.

The original Tank Police is also way more over the top than the second... and therefore much funnier.

I don't know the difference between the sets.... I own the second one with Anna and Uni on their bikes....

New Tank Police and Tank Police have pretty much the same characters, but I think most people would agree with me when I say that the original was much, much better. It was also based off the original comics (loosely... very loosely) whereas the New Tank Police series isn't.

The original Tank Police is also way more over the top than the second... and therefore much funnier.

I don't know the difference between the sets.... I own the second one with Anna and Uni on their bikes....

I'd have to disagree.

The first Dominion Tank Police had a lot of the slapstick, but I felt the animation was shoddy at best, and (once again) they decided to greatly alter the character designs instead of using Shirow's designs. This is a usual problem in anime adaptations of Shirow's work.

New Dominion Tank Police has a lot less slapstick. IMO, though, the animation was much better and the story was more coherent. Also, the character designs were much more faithful to Shirow's work then in the first one.

Hmm,..

haven't seen DTP 1-4 yet

what I can say for the New-DTP series is that it was fun enough to watch

and the characters are dead on to Shirow's Mangas

From what I heard Shirow (?) wasn't happy with the 1st series hence the creation of New Dominion Tank Police

-this may all be a rumour I picked up somewhere

Have the original, will probably pick up New DTP as well to give it a try, especially if its closer to Shirow's original like you guys say.

Also whats the difference between these two sets?

http://www.dvdboxoffice.com/images/90040124.jpg

And

http://www.dvdboxoffice.com/images/10015448.jpg

Thanks!

They are actually the same thing. These both contain all four episodes of the first Dominion series. The top link is the newest version CPM has put out. They repacked it and lowered the retail price. The bottom link is the old version, now out of print. You can still find it from time to time. No difference between the actual discs that I'm aware of. Only package and price.

Jeff Grose

AN

They are actually the same thing. These both contain all four episodes of the first Dominion series. The top link is the newest version CPM has put out. They repacked it and lowered the retail price. The bottom link is the old version, now out of print. You can still find it from time to time. No difference between the actual discs that I'm aware of. Only package and price.

Jeff Grose

AN

Golly, I didn't even look at the links!!! :D

the second box was rereleased to cash in from the popularity of the GITS movie. I think Appleseed was also.

New Dominion wasn't really a sequel. There's no pollution, no Buaku even though the Puma Sisters are there and everyone had the smaller tanks, not just Leona... IIRC. Haven't seen either in a long time. Didn't really enjoy them that much...

I'd have to disagree.

The first Dominion Tank Police had a lot of the slapstick, but I felt the animation was shoddy at best, and (once again) they decided to greatly alter the character designs instead of using Shirow's designs. This is a usual problem in anime adaptations of Shirow's work.

New Dominion Tank Police has a lot less slapstick. IMO, though, the animation was much better and the story was more coherent. Also, the character designs were much more faithful to Shirow's work then in the first one.

I'd agree that New Tank Police probably has better animation and less slapstick, but that doesn't make it better, in my opinion. Both were fairly (fairly....) faithful to the original character design... remember that Dominion art isn't as clean as GitS or Appleseed....

New Tank Police does have a more coherent episodal plot, but then, hey, if you're a Shirow Masamune fan, you're not really looking for that in the first place....

I still think that the original Tank Police has a much better 'feel' to it.... much closer to the original works. And I just like it better....

The Puma Twins were made into harmless sacks of crap in the new version incapable of putting up a decent fight to save their own skins, much less someone else. The Charon(sp) murder scene with them watching pisses me to no end. :angry:

I guess Shirow forgot Dominion Tank Police is a self-parody not an AppleSeed clone with tanks.

Question to anyone who've seen the Japanese language version of New Dominion Tank Police, it that version so pro-control to where it appears Dianne Feinstein had ghost-written it?

Edited by Mislovrit

I guess I'll chime in on this too seeing as I have both animes in question and the DTP manga...

The original Dominion Tank Police Anime made me laugh my ass off the first time I saw it subbed on VHS back in 1992 (I actually still have all four of those tapes if anyone wants them). The OAV was a riot... the first time through. Like all good comedies, it was not as funny the second time through and totally boring the third time around. IMHO the plot was a mish-mash of ideas and themes from the manga that never really had a good development going and just sort of wandered at the end, going out with a whimper rather than a bang. The anime also did not seem to capture the manga's gritty humor and went for more of the fart, boob and dick joke immature route. The level of humor goes even further into the can on the english dub version where they totally rewrite a lot of the dialogue to make it even more childishly vulgar and immature while at the same time they replace all the kitshy music with this horrid mid nineties technopop dance crap. All in all, the original is worth watching once but it never really captures the feel or flavor of the manga and is more or less a police academy movie without the stupid sound effects guy.

The New Dominion Tank Police Anime is definately not as funny as the original but it packs more "Shirow action" and more "Shirow plot"... what that means is that the happy-go-lucky nuthouse antics of the tank police are totally GITS-a-fied and once again totally do not match the feel and flavor of the manga. In the process the show's plot gets murkier and darker, the characters change from being goof-balls to being saps and the action becomes less comedic and more techno-thriller. I myself do not like the "new" tank police anime as I feel it is needlessly heavy-handed and melodramatic.

Tank police IMHO was supposed to be a lighthearted poke at environmentalism, peace, crime and cops... but neither of the animes capture the manga at all very well. You should read the manga first and then watch the shows so you have the "true" Tank Police in your thoughts will watching.