Political purges in Macross Galaxy

RedWolf

Having read Macross Frontier Sheryl manga, Kiss the Galaxy, we see something unheard of in Macross fleets. Political purges. Galaxy's leaders were methodical in weeding out opposition to the mandatory cybernetics. Branding them insurrectionists.

Now we've seen the opposite in Macross Frontier with cybernetics being illegal and the rest of the NUNG sphere of influence neutral to it.

But since we know the motivations of Galaxy's leaders this is something that is not made overnight. It probably started when Galaxy fleet was first conceived. Run by private corporations could mean less interference from busy bodies from Earth.

We have to also note decentralization could have tied NUNG's hands legally on the matter.

These political purges were the first step in the Galaxy leaders plans. Can't have your own fleet go against you when you try to take over the galaxy.

Interestingly enough, I am tackling this notion in the fanfic that I've been working on. I see Galaxy's government as mandating cybernetic implants, thereby installing a system of control over its citizens. Fleets like Frontier outlawed implantation, probably due to the foresight that this would become an issue.

Technically, Galaxy has every right to mandate cyberneticization, when looked through the lens of the New UN Government rules. Each fleet is responsible for its own governance, and only remains loosely associated to the New UN Government for organizational purposes.

Having read Macross Frontier Sheryl manga, Kiss the Galaxy, we see something unheard of in Macross fleets. Political purges. Galaxy's leaders were methodical in weeding out opposition to the mandatory cybernetics. Branding them insurrectionists.

IIRC, that's not really new information... Pash! Animation File: Macross Frontier touches on that briefly, and says that Sheryl's mother was a casualty of the violence between supporters and opponents of implant technology.

IIRC, that's not really new information... Pash! Animation File: Macross Frontier touches on that briefly, and says that Sheryl's mother was a casualty of the violence between supporters and opponents of implant technology.

True but here we learn how Galaxy's leaders did it. Its a totalitarian regime going after dissidents. Other civilian governments we've seen, Millia and Howard Glass, we see a dedication to protect civilians not control them.

True but here we learn how Galaxy's leaders did it. Its a totalitarian regime going after dissidents. Other civilian governments we've seen, Millia and Howard Glass, we see a dedication to protect civilians not control them.

Really... that was to be expected. After all, City-7 and Macross Frontier were democratic governments with elected leaders. It was established quite a while back that Macross Galaxy is not, it's a corporate operation. It's not at all unexpected that the fleet's corporation-style leadership would take pains to remove employees/citizens who are actively undermining its policies.

Well, maybe you can help with this, Seto Kaiba... Do they give any kinds of timelines on the approvals of the implantation mandates? I ask because of my afforementioned fanfic. I want to try to be as close to canon as possible.

Sheryl's history gives us a clue, possibly even a specific date (but you'll have to determine that/look it up on your own): her parents were killed during a protest against the cyberdization of society.

Some time between then and the development of the VF-27 (which happens before the events of the MF series), those mandates are implementated, the technology is developed, and fully cybernetic people are built.

Why is the development of the VF-27 a key point? Cyborg's are Macross Galaxy's answer to the question of how to supplement ISC in a manned fighter. Frontier's solution is EX-Gear, and my latest translations hint that the Unified Government may have a more advanced ISC and/or a different supplemental technology for other YF-24 Evolution derivatives.

Sheryl's history gives us a clue, possibly even a specific date (but you'll have to determine that/look it up on your own): her parents were killed during a protest against the cyberdization of society.

Some time between then and the development of the VF-27 (which happens before the events of the MF series), those mandates are implementated, the technology is developed, and fully cybernetic people are built.

Why is the development of the VF-27 a key point? Cyborg's are Macross Galaxy's answer to the question of how to supplement ISC in a manned fighter. Frontier's solution is EX-Gear, and my latest translations hint that the Unified Government may have a more advanced ISC and/or a different supplemental technology for other YF-24 Evolution derivatives.

Okay what does ISC stand for?

Well, maybe you can help with this, Seto Kaiba... Do they give any kinds of timelines on the approvals of the implantation mandates? I ask because of my afforementioned fanfic. I want to try to be as close to canon as possible.

Hm... well, I'm not aware of a precise date for the repeal of the cybernetic implant ban on Macross Galaxy. Given evidence from the show and the contents of Pash! Animation File 02: Macross Frontier, I think it safe to say that it had to be sometime around 2047-2048. Grace O'Connor was already formulating her plan for her galaxy-wide implant zero-time fold network prior to the destruction of the SDFN-04 Global in 2048, and told Sheryl she'd had her deliberately infected with the v-type bacteria during the medical examination she received after Grace found her and took her in. As we see pictures of Sheryl in the Mao Nome's 2047 piece on the v-type infection, it seems reasonable enough to assume that Sheryl's mother was killed by the supporters of implant legalization at some point before November 2047.

I don't recall precisely what the show's dialogue has to say about how recent the legalization is, since I don't have my Macross Frontier DVDs handy. I don't know what Kiss the Galaxy has to say about it either, so perhaps RedWolf could favor us with more from that.

It's not at all unexpected that the fleet's corporation-style leadership would take pains to remove employees/citizens who are actively undermining its policies.

Last I looked fired does not mean fired upon. Also Galaxy isn't a single corporation but made up of corporations. Heavily invested by General Galaxy as well. It doesn't mean the mother companies wanted these to happen. Using the mandatory cybernetics law Macross Galaxy was basically hijacked by several individuals.

edit:

Kiss the Galaxy appears to occur in the MF movie continuity.

Going over the summary of Grace's life prior to the Vajra incident in the light novel adaption she wasn't involved with Galaxy's schemes till she was downloaded/recovered. Her involvement merely accelerated the timetable. Apparently Galaxy leaders were keeping tabs on her work beforehand. Grace learned of Sheryl's existence when she was already an orphan.

Edited by RedWolf

ISC = Inertia Store Converter

Along with the EX-gear system, the ISC helps to keep the intense g-forces of combat from reaching the pilot. It's stated that this combination removes the performance difference from man and machine, thereby increasing the performance capabilities of a manned-fighter. I know it's in full use for the VF-25. They installed EX-gears into the VF-171EX, but I can't remember if it has an ISC system in it...

You can always assume that just because the VF-27 was created at X time, that the requirement of a cyborg pilot would only mandate the cyberneticization of the pilot itself. I think what we're trying to ascertain here is the mandate for the entire population of Macross Galaxy. I completely agree that there has to be some sort of totalitarian rule, in order to facilitate such a radical notion. I tend to think of Galaxy's government as an oligarchy, though... seeing as how Grace is at the head, but she has several cohorts with which she seems to respect on an almost-even level to herself.

Okay what does ISC stand for?

Inertia Store Converter... it's the new doodad that stops the fighter from pancaking the pilot the way Guld did.

They installed EX-gears into the VF-171EX, but I can't remember if it has an ISC system in it...

No, the VF-171EX did not have an inertia store converter.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

In Kiss the Galaxy version of events they were killed in their own home by government MIB. Sally Nome had her daughter run as she tries to stall their assassins. By this time Sheryl's father was already shot.

MC's glossary has it's own entry for it:

http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2349.msg35343#msg35343

In Kiss the Galaxy version of events they were killed in their own home by government MIB. Sally Nome had her daughter run as she tries to stall their assassins. By this time Sheryl's father was already shot.

Alright, I'm going to slam the brakes on this before it gets too far into the land of confusing:

There are two versions of the events. MF TV series, and MF movie series. I'm referring to the TV series version. You're referring to the movie version.

Even then, both sets of information come from side stories (Pash Animation File #02 and Kiss the Galaxy). So... to stave off further confusion, let's all note which version we're referring to from now on.

Okay, thanks for the alarm, Sketchley. I am more concerned about the TV series continuity right at this moment. That means that I need to refer to Pash Animation File #02, correct?

Of the materials that I've translated, that's the only one that has relevant information.

Linky: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2077.0

Ammendum: funny... I distinctly remember some further background information about what happened to Sheryl's parents. I'm pretty sure it was from Pash. Maybe another source... maybe something I haven't gotten around to typing up yet?

Of the materials that I've translated, that's the only one that has relevant information.

Linky: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2077.0

Ammendum: funny... I distinctly remember some further background information about what happened to Sheryl's parents. I'm pretty sure it was from Pash. Maybe another source... maybe something I haven't gotten around to typing up yet?

Yeah, I found that on your site after reading some of the posts this morning. I didn't really find any pertinent information to help me out. Perhaps it's in one of the sections that you didn't translate (pp. 58 - 91)?

Also a quick question... On your Page 46 translations "Michael: with childhood friend Ranka"?